What do you think of the different prayers?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: What do you think of the different prayers?

Post by cd20 »

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 22:01 Prayer is a personal choice. I don’t think there’s a right way to do it. There is not scheduled time or place. I talk to God when I want and it doesn’t matter if I am in my car or at work—-I find the time I need to pray but I certainly do not have it schedueled
I agree, it is a personal choice. I also do not think that it should be scheduled, it then starts to feel like something you have to do instead of something you get to do. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 11:01 Prayers are a way to help us connect ourselves with god. It doesn’t matter what prayer we do. All we need to do is surrender ourselves to God while praying. He will listen to us and will be there by our side.
Praying gives peace to our hearts and it's a way to share our problems silently with god.
I agree, prayers are a way to connect with God. We do not have to come to Him at a particular place or time, or in a particular way. He will listen to us no matter when and where we approach him. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Harty Muli »

I agree with the author's daily prayer regiment because prayers need to be conducted regularly and at least daily. The prayer session that appeals to me the most are the "daily examen" and "lectio divina."
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Slater678 wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 05:02 I agree with the author's daily prayer regiment because prayers need to be conducted regularly and at least daily. The prayer session that appeals to me the most are the "daily examen" and "lectio divina."
I agree that we should pray regularly and daily, but I do not think we have to do it in a certain way. I think the author provides quite a variety of ideas, but there is no need to do them all. It would start to see ritualistic or more of a duty, than an opportunity to converse with God. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Esther11
Favorite Book: The Shining
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther11.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Esther11 »

We all have different preferences but for me, I would just do walking prayer. I also believe that we don't have to do all those prayers if the underlying intention is strong.
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

The thing with me is this: I can't be forced, or force myself into a schedule. I can't choose a specific one and then do it every day, because I'll either forget, or it'll feel so much like a chore that I won't get very far at all.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Esther11 wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 04:37 We all have different preferences but for me, I would just do walking prayer. I also believe that we don't have to do all those prayers if the underlying intention is strong.
I agree, we do all have personal preferences. And, no, we don't have to do all these prayers, or even any of them. The point is to communicate with God, it does not matter if we are walking or folding laundry, the point is communication. I think it also depends on your mood, you might be walking and start praying, or laying in bed reflecting on your day. It's all good. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Sohana Hasan wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 12:41 The thing with me is this: I can't be forced, or force myself into a schedule. I can't choose a specific one and then do it every day, because I'll either forget, or it'll feel so much like a chore that I won't get very far at all.
I agree completely. If you tell me I have to do something, I am more likely not to. If I get to choose, I will choose the one that works best when I decide to pray. If you try to do them all, I think it will become a chore or be more ritualistic and then you lose the point of why you were praying in the first place. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

cd20 wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 13:46
Sohana Hasan wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 12:41 The thing with me is this: I can't be forced, or force myself into a schedule. I can't choose a specific one and then do it every day, because I'll either forget, or it'll feel so much like a chore that I won't get very far at all.
I agree completely. If you tell me I have to do something, I am more likely not to. If I get to choose, I will choose the one that works best when I decide to pray. If you try to do them all, I think it will become a chore or be more ritualistic and then you lose the point of why you were praying in the first place. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Thanks for your reply! I naturally gravitate away from things that I "have" to do as opposed to things that I want to do, or enjoy doing. So, it would never work for me to have a set amount of prayers that I must always say.
Apeksha Pant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Apeksha Pant »

It all depends on the person who is practising his faith with that prayer . There are different types of prayers , but what matters is the heart with which we are praying . Everybody is born different , hence they all would have different way of praying
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Sohana Hasan wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 09:06
cd20 wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 13:46
Thanks for your reply! I naturally gravitate away from things that I "have" to do as opposed to things that I want to do, or enjoy doing. So, it would never work for me to have a set amount of prayers that I must always say.
I think we all naturally gravitate away from things that we "have" to do! I think it is part of human nature. I do not think it would work for most people to have a set amount of prayer that they have to say each day. I think that is the great thing about prayer, you can do it anytime, anywhere, in any way that you are comfortable.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Apeksha Pant wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 13:15 It all depends on the person who is practising his faith with that prayer . There are different types of prayers , but what matters is the heart with which we are praying . Everybody is born different , hence they all would have different way of praying
You have hit the nail on the head! It is ALL about the condition of our heart when we are praying. Everyone is different and we all will have different ways we are comfortable praying (or not). It certainly depends on one's beliefs as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Emmanuel Kolapo wrote: 28 May 2021, 11:48 I believe in all types of praying as long as it is done to commune with the God. Since the daily routine of a Man is not fixed eternally, I believe that at one time or the other, we tend to deviate from our norms when we schedule our normal prayer type.

Though I don't fully understand all the type of prayers mentioned but I love the prayer walking type.
I agree, the important thing is to commune with God, not how many times a day, or a variety of prayers. Not everyone has a "normal" time to pray and that is okay, we all need to do what we feel is best. I do love that the author gives a variety of suggestions, they would be especially helpful for those who want to enhance their prayer life. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Nichole Tiffany wrote: 31 May 2021, 21:33 I believe in doing what works best for you when it comes to prayers. Prayer is a personal communication. I realize that a do all of forms of prayers mentioned.
I agree, I believe we all have to do what is best for us. Prayer is personal communication, and as such, no one else needs to tell us who often or how to pray. However, I appreciate the fact that the author gave a variety of options, as those who want to enhance their prayer life may needs ideas. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Jasleen Chadha wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 15:14 I believe praying is very personal and spiritual feeling. It can be done in more than one way or none at all. For some, praying is just like meditating and leaving behind your worries, while for some, it is all about taking into account all of those worries and asking for some peace in return.
I agree prayer is very personal. We can each choose how often we want to pray and how we want to pray. I think the thing that matters most is the condition of our heart when we pray. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”