What do you think of the different prayers?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: What do you think of the different prayers?

Post by cd20 »

Mercy Osmond wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 08:36 I think everyone have different methods of praying, it just depend on the individual connection with God. For me i pray in different ways, sometimes i talk to God when am in the toilet or when am lying down etc.
I agree, everyone does have different methods for praying. What works for one person might not work for another. I also think it depends on the individual person's relationship with God. I also pray in different ways and find that it is best when there are no distractions. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Worm Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-worm-reader.html
Latest Review: Jane Grace: Library of Light by Trace Sonnleitner

Post by Worm Reader »

I didn't complain about the manner of prayer; sure, it's vital to "direct your heart and mind" to God since I believe it's a great time spent helping yourself improve and evolve as a better person with his heavenly guidance.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

cd20 wrote: 15 May 2021, 09:04 Jeff Meyer says we should be very "intentional about including daily rhythms that help you redirect your heart and mind to the One who gave you all that you have." He discusses several different prayers, the listening prayer, the lectio divina (divine reading), 1 @1, memorizing scripture, prayer walking, read written prayers, and then stopping for the daily examen before you go to bed. What do you think of these prayers? Would you do them all, none, or which ones speak to you the most?
I think all of thise types work. For me, mostly the listening and meditation work. But sometimes you need the scriptures and the written prayers. I find it hard to do all of them at the same time and prefer to focus according to my needs. But it is for each person to try and find the best that works for them.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Eriny Youssef wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 11:14
cd20 wrote: 15 May 2021, 09:04 Jeff Meyer says we should be very "intentional about including daily rhythms that help you redirect your heart and mind to the One who gave you all that you have." He discusses several different prayers, the listening prayer, the lectio divina (divine reading), 1 @1, memorizing scripture, prayer walking, read written prayers, and then stopping for the daily examen before you go to bed. What do you think of these prayers? Would you do them all, none, or which ones speak to you the most?
I think all of thise types work. For me, mostly the listening and meditation work. But sometimes you need the scriptures and the written prayers. I find it hard to do all of them at the same time and prefer to focus according to my needs. But it is for each person to try and find the best that works for them.
I agree, I think all of these could work, but it is best for each person to figure out what works best for them. I agree that we do need the scriptures as well. I think it would be too distracting and ritualistic if you tried to do all the prayers at one time. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

I have almost practiced all of the prayers above. They are different postures of prayer, and they are very relevant in the spiritual world. The one I love practicing is walking prayers.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Piece Nkem wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 14:16 I have almost practiced all of the prayers above. They are different postures of prayer, and they are very relevant in the spiritual world. The one I love practicing is walking prayers.
I think it is great that you have been able to practice almost all of the prayers and that you know which ones work best for you. I think that is what we all have to do, figure out what posture of praying works best for us. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Yusuf11
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Yusuf11 »

I think there should be a structural way to pray. This is to ensure unity and equality among us. I can't imagine if everyone in the world prays his own way, we wouldn't even know each other's religion.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I think trying to apply all of these prayers intentionally into one’s day seems almost obsessive and possibly a bit contrived. I would definitely try to incorporate at least one or two into my daily routine, sometimes more and sometimes less as the need arises. A spontaneous way of communicating with my creator is really what I would try to cultivate, which could be at any time and in any manner that presents itself.
Elendu Clement
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement.html
Latest Review: The Wanting Hearts by Nicole Jordan

Post by Elendu Clement »

I don't think there should be a pattern for prayer. Whichever way you communicate better with God just keep using that pattern and structure
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Yusuf11 wrote: 04 Jun 2021, 19:36 I think there should be a structural way to pray. This is to ensure unity and equality among us. I can't imagine if everyone in the world prays his own way, we wouldn't even know each other's religion.
Jesus tells us in the Bible the way to pray is "Our Father who is in heaven..." I do not believe that everyone should have to pray the same way or even have a structural prayer, I don't think that leads to unity and equality. Everyone in the world does pray their own way, and you are right in that we don't know each other's religion. Partly because everyone's beliefs are different. Thank you for sharing your opinions.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

sonya01 wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 02:07 I think trying to apply all of these prayers intentionally into one’s day seems almost obsessive and possibly a bit contrived. I would definitely try to incorporate at least one or two into my daily routine, sometimes more and sometimes less as the need arises. A spontaneous way of communicating with my creator is really what I would try to cultivate, which could be at any time and in any manner that presents itself.
I wholeheartedly agree. I think if we tried o do them all every day it would seem ritualistic and not real. It would be more about the ritual and not the relationship. I think we should be spontaneous in our prayers, it makes us more real with ourselves and our Creator. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Elendu Clement wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 08:45 I don't think there should be a pattern for prayer. Whichever way you communicate better with God just keep using that pattern and structure
I agree, we each need to do what works for us. Not everyone is open to a prayer walk, yet it works for some people. I think the point is more about communicating with God, than communicating in a certain way. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

I think this depends on the person praying. Everyone's life schedule is different and this neccesitates a personalization of prayer patterns. But I think I get what the author is trying to say; he is trying to inspire people to get the utmost out of their prayer lives, but I don't believe we have to follow this list mechanically to attain that.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Prayer is a personal choice. I don’t think there’s a right way to do it. There is not scheduled time or place. I talk to God when I want and it doesn’t matter if I am in my car or at work—-I find the time I need to pray but I certainly do not have it schedueled
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

Prayers are a way to help us connect ourselves with god. It doesn’t matter what prayer we do. All we need to do is surrender ourselves to God while praying. He will listen to us and will be there by our side.
Praying gives peace to our hearts and it's a way to share our problems silently with god.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”