Discouragement and distraction are production killers, agree or disagree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Nouria el saftawy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nouria-el-saftawy.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Re: Discouragement and distraction are production killers, agree or disagree?

Post by Nouria el saftawy »

I disagree that discouragement can be a production killer, although most of the time it is, some actually want to prove people who discourage them wrong so they get more productive, even though they get productive the toxic way but they still are very able to accomplish things.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

I agree. In order to achieve something, you have to tell yourself that you WILL do it. If you have negative thoughts, your goals then become optional instead of final. It’s good to have a support system reminding you that you can and will make it happen. If you have the mind set of “if I get it, I get it. If I don’t, I don’t” then you are not pushing yourself to achieve your goal. That mind set is 50% negative, 50% positive.
Brandy_Nyongesa
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-nyongesa.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Brandy_Nyongesa »

The author is right. Discouragements and distractions can kill someone's productivity. Both kill one's morale to pursue something.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

I totally agree. No one is at their maximum production level when distracted or discouraged. It helps to channel the right attitude to overcoming these because, no matter how much you try, discouragement will always slow your production. I know this for a fact.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

I definitely agree with that. I think the easiest way to kill someone's productivity or desire to do something is to discourage them. Demotivation can be a huge factor in why someone struggles to do something. Distraction also kills productivity because your attention is taken elsewhere
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

Discouragements not just kills productivity but also kills one's self esteem and may lead them to depression and hopelessness. Distraction on the other hand is just a momentary hurdle that you can get over, but it still kills productivity.
Vidhi Adhikari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

sssns wrote: 21 May 2021, 16:14 I agree. Reaching our dreams is a process. It is not like jumping from point A to point B. There is a distance and a time that we have to cover to get there. The habits that we develop help to make us efficient and focused.
Agreed, I personally am demotivated to work as soon as soon as I receive negative feedback. I'm still trying to work on this as outward influence should not control my efficiency. Also my mind sometimes has 12 thoughts at once which causes distraction many times. But also keeps me productive.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

Discouragement is one hundred percent a production killer. It not only destroys your productivity, but also leaves you depressed and hopeless. It should be avoided at all costs. Stay away from discouraging events, news, people, places, etc.
Distraction, on the other hand, is not necessarily a production killer. Why? Suppose you have worked 10 hours on a particular day. Now you leave all your work, and spend the evening relaxing. What is that relaxation? It is essentially distraction from your work. For a few hours you deliberately distract yourself from your work. It could be through TV, phone, sports, or even a simple walk! This is an example of balanced and well-utilised distraction. But, how do we know if we are using balanced distraction or not?
When you know you can be productive, but are still distracting yourself just for some pleasure, that is bad/imbalanced distraction.
Hope this information is of usefull to you.
Best regards
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I couldn't agree more because to achieve our dream, it's not just like you will immediately get that because there will be a distance, and to shorten that distance you need to put an effort to improve yourself and your knowledge as well as your skills.
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I agree with the author because if you get distracted, you will lose focus. And if are faced with discouragement, your confidence might crumble.
Venus2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-venus2304.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Venus2304 »

I disagree with this statement. Rather than outrightly saying that trials and obstacles are dream killers, I would say that they are the force that helps to build us to be a stronger and more deserving achievers.
Sandeep Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandeep-moses.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Sandeep Moses »

I agree with that. I found that in my own life that discouragement and distraction stopped me from being a better and more productive person. So, they are production killers!
Bennaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennaji.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Bennaji »

I absolutely agree. Distractions and discouragements can distract one from reaching their goal. People need good support system around them and to be disciplined so I agree with the author.
Asja Šabani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asja-sabani.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Asja Šabani »

I agree with this statement. I would say that discouragement is even more dangerous because it often operates from within the subconscious mind and we are not aware of its workings. Distractions, such as social media, are annoying but can be more easily overcome. In any case, both are detrimental to our productivity.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I totally agree to this. Once a focused person starts getting discouraged about a goal he/she is gets easily distracted by almost anything.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”