Discouragement and distraction are production killers, agree or disagree?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Discouragement and distraction are production killers, agree or disagree?

Post by cd20 »

In chapter 21, Jeff states that "Discouragement and distraction are production killers." He goes on to say, "I have found that the proper mindset and appropriate life-giving habits must be integrated into my daily life rhythms if I want to succeed." Do you agree or disagree with this? Why?
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I agree. Reaching our dreams is a process. It is not like jumping from point A to point B. There is a distance and a time that we have to cover to get there. The habits that we develop help to make us efficient and focused.
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

sssns wrote: 21 May 2021, 16:14 I agree. Reaching our dreams is a process. It is not like jumping from point A to point B. There is a distance and a time that we have to cover to get there. The habits that we develop help to make us efficient and focused.
And I completely agree with you.
It is a process, and we can only achieve it through strategic planning. And habits assist us in doing that.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Bernard Udofia
Favorite Author: Biz Stone
Currently Reading: Things a Little Bird Told Me: Confessions of the Creative Mind
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernard-udofia.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright
fav_author_id: 72309

Post by Bernard Udofia »

I completely agree. When you allow people or situations to discourage or distract you, it kills productivity. To achieve success, we all need a system that encouraged us to push forward and that filters out all the negativity. It's like forming a new habit. To achieve success, we have to get to a point where the system we have formulated becomes muscle memory. It makes it much harder for negativity to encroach.
mchidoori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mchidoori »

"Discouragement and distraction are production killers". This is true in the context that to be productive you need to concentrate hence if something distracts it both discourages and affects the will. Discouragement comes in many facets for example words from people and less faith in what one is doing.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

cd20 wrote: 20 May 2021, 14:57 In chapter 21, Jeff states that "Discouragement and distraction are production killers." He goes on to say, "I have found that the proper mindset and appropriate life-giving habits must be integrated into my daily life rhythms if I want to succeed." Do you agree or disagree with this? Why?
I recently read a book talking about the importance of minimalism in areas of technology usage or just general consumption of luxury activities and I must say that I agree. One must do away with items of distraction or habits that take one away from his goals. Live giving habits need to be integrated into ones daily schedule so as to ensure continued growth.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

cd20 wrote: 20 May 2021, 14:57 In chapter 21, Jeff states that "Discouragement and distraction are production killers." He goes on to say, "I have found that the proper mindset and appropriate life-giving habits must be integrated into my daily life rhythms if I want to succeed." Do you agree or disagree with this? Why?
Another thought I had on the matter is the importance of a good mindset. When one is continuously discouraged by his surroundings or events that happen it will be impossible for him or her to progress. One has to develop an attitude of positive thinking so as to always remain optimistic and hopeful about his or her future thus leading to greater focus and more productivity.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

sssns wrote: 21 May 2021, 16:14 I agree. Reaching our dreams is a process. It is not like jumping from point A to point B. There is a distance and a time that we have to cover to get there. The habits that we develop help to make us efficient and focused.
A great take on this. One cannot just say this is what I want to achieve and then immediately achieve it. Its a journey and you need the appropriate mindset and energy giving habits to ensure that all through the trials of the journey you stay focused and productive.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

The habits of discipline, organization and hope are what give us the grace to achieve our tasks and keep grinding even in the face of obstacles. As such one needs to put in effort into doing away with any negative thoughts or desires that might drag him away from achieving his or her goal.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Wildflowertheorist wrote: 22 May 2021, 02:16
It is a process, and we can only achieve it through strategic planning. And habits assist us in doing that.
Your statement on this reminds me of another point the author made where he said that strategic planning is more important than willpower in achieving one's goals. This is very true as you have to plan according to your habits. If you are continually distracted by various temptations and negativity, you'll be unable to achieve any of your desires as you'll find yourself distracted by various temptations and this will keep you from achieving your goals.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Wildflowertheorist wrote: 22 May 2021, 02:16
Your statement on this reminds me of another point the author made where he said that strategic planning is more important than willpower in achieving one's goals. This is very true as you have to plan according to your habits. If you are continually distracted by various temptations and negativity, you'll be unable to achieve any of your desires as you'll find yourself distracted by various temptations and this will keep you from achieving your goals.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Bernard Udofia wrote: 22 May 2021, 03:38 I completely agree. When you allow people or situations to discourage or distract you, it kills productivity. To achieve success, we all need a system that encouraged us to push forward and that filters out all the negativity. It's like forming a new habit. To achieve success, we have to get to a point where the system we have formulated becomes muscle memory. It makes it much harder for negativity to encroach.
Yes, indeed. I read somewhere that it takes 50 days to break an old habit and 12 days to form a new one. This shows how hard it is to get rid of bad habits once they are formed and how easy it is to form a new good habit to replace the old one. This is something that every one needs to approach seriously. One must focus on developing habits that are in support of his goal and actively contribute to achieving his desires.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

mchidoori wrote: 22 May 2021, 06:24 "Discouragement and distraction are production killers". This is true in the context that to be productive you need to concentrate hence if something distracts it both discourages and affects the will. Discouragement comes in many facets for example words from people and less faith in what one is doing.
This is a great take. One needs to be able to keep himself free from distraction and anything that can cause discouragement as this will inevitably lead to a loss of focus and can stop someone from achieving his goals. When one forms a bad habit and tries to break free from it, failing to do may cause one to lose hope and get discouraged. This must be prevented by the application of the principle of positive thinking so as to keep one determined and inspired to fulfill his goals.
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

mchidoori wrote: 22 May 2021, 06:24 "Discouragement and distraction are production killers". This is true in the context that to be productive you need to concentrate hence if something distracts it both discourages and affects the will. Discouragement comes in many facets for example words from people and less faith in what one is doing.
In a situation where one is getting discouraged as a result of his surroundings, that his criticisms or insults from people around him which in turn leads to him losing faith in himself and in his plan to achieve his goals, its very important to get rid of the negative voices or influences as they will only serve to bring one down. Replace these negative friends with inspiring, supportive friends so as to prevent yourself from being discouraged. I completely agree with the author in the need for this.
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Mys_Trea »

I agree with this so much. The reality is that both these elements can come from so many different places, such as people, social media, and even oneself. I have in the past, come up with good ideas, only to talk myself out of executing them because of insecurity or procrastination. A well-meaning friend could think they are giving good advice, only to find out they were actually delaying you from reaching a life-changing dream. It is important to be conscientious of such, and have the correct mindset needed to achieve whatever you desire.

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”