Coaching or Preaching

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through" by Jeff Meyer.
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Coaching or Preaching

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

Meyer says that people are used to being preached at rather than coached. Frankly, I was worried that this book would fall into the preachy category. Although I'm still squeamish about the scriptural aspects of the book - which I did find a little preachy - I am amazed at how useful to me the chapter on coaching is. What do you think? If you take away the references to scripture is the book devalued?
Gabby S14
Favorite Book: All the Light We Cannot See
Currently Reading: The Sound and the Fury
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-s14.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Gabby S14 »

Great question! I found the religious focus to be a bit distracting, although I was aware that I was not fully in the intended audience. That being said, I think that taking the religious aspect away from the book completely would leave it pretty bare. Instead of taking it away, I suggested that the author should include a more general approach to spirituality that will attract a broader audience of folks who want to find self-improvement in various aspects of their lives. Engaging with a higher power or with anything outside yourself can help you to realize when your fears are unfounded or detrimental to your success, which I think is the main argument of this book. In other words, I think more options for spiritual values could help the text to be less "preachy" and more coaching to find what works for you.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Gabby S14 wrote: 27 May 2021, 15:41 Great question! I found the religious focus to be a bit distracting, although I was aware that I was not fully in the intended audience. That being said, I think that taking the religious aspect away from the book completely would leave it pretty bare. Instead of taking it away, I suggested that the author should include a more general approach to spirituality that will attract a broader audience of folks who want to find self-improvement in various aspects of their lives. Engaging with a higher power or with anything outside yourself can help you to realize when your fears are unfounded or detrimental to your success, which I think is the main argument of this book. In other words, I think more options for spiritual values could help the text to be less "preachy" and more coaching to find what works for you.
Yes, I as well I had this exact experience while reading the book. The author might have directed it towards Christians and believers however for those of us who are not overly members of that belief system it at times drifted from being inspiring and educational to feeling like the author was force-feeding religion down our throats.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

The author's goal was to back up most of his principles and strategies with biblical beliefs and texts, however I feel he failed to consider that his work might reach a wider audience than simply members of the same Christian community which he belonged to and so took a bit away from the overall message of the book.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Ahbed Nadir

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

DavidOchieng wrote: 27 May 2021, 09:43 Meyer says that people are used to being preached at rather than coached. Frankly, I was worried that this book would fall into the preachy category. Although I'm still squeamish about the scriptural aspects of the book - which I did find a little preachy - I am amazed at how useful to me the chapter on coaching is. What do you think? If you take away the references to scripture is the book devalued?
The chapter on coaching, all scriptural references aside, was amazingly helpful. I felt this was one of the most enjoyable and impactful parts of the book and I was blessed by it. I feel if one does not take offense at the scriptural messages written by the author and instead looks at how it can affect or help him/her it would be a great read for the person.
Ochieng Omuodo
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 28 May 2021, 06:21
DavidOchieng wrote: 27 May 2021, 09:43 Meyer says that people are used to being preached at rather than coached. Frankly, I was worried that this book would fall into the preachy category. Although I'm still squeamish about the scriptural aspects of the book - which I did find a little preachy - I am amazed at how useful to me the chapter on coaching is. What do you think? If you take away the references to scripture is the book devalued?
The chapter on coaching, all scriptural references aside, was amazingly helpful. I felt this was one of the most enjoyable and impactful parts of the book and I was blessed by it. I feel if one does not take offense at the scriptural messages written by the author and instead looks at how it can affect or help him/her it would be a great read for the person.
In fact, a lot of the elements of good coaching are applicable in on-the-job training in my line of work, which necessarily deals with people with all manner of faiths.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I am in the intended audience if you will. I think if you took out the scriptural references the book would not have been as full as it was. However, I do not think the book would be devalued without the scripture because Meyer's makes many valid points that will help Christians and Non-Christians alike. For instance, he said at the beginning of the book that would be useful to you, so you could skip the chapter on the different prayers if that was of no interest to you.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The strategies from the book are still helpful even without the scriptures.  But, I think it was written with a target audience in mind.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I admired the author's passion. Sharing your beliefs is not being preachy. Taking away all the Scripture references would change the book since they are so much a part of the author's personality. He seemed to have a verse (or several) for every topic or aspect of his strategy that he presented. This is an excellent resource that contrasts with the plethora of self-help books that emphasize looking inside yourself for guidance. The author's reliance on Scripture (something outside of ourselves) offers readers an alternate method for dreaming and succeeding.
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

Personally, I think the book was written with a target audience in mind, so it should not be faulted for its preachy aspect because as one of the audience, i enjoyed the book. The coaching aspect was also an exceptional addition which was really helpful too.
Apeksha Pant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Apeksha Pant »

Preaching. If am telling someone to do something or even suggesting, till the time I have not gone through the same thing , practiced it and experienced , I wouldn’t be able to help the other person . That why they say , preach what you practice.
Shakiru A
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Shakiru A »

Coaching is the reality of today, most especially if the lesson is scientific, otherwise preaching may be useful. Coaching is the tool to really take us to the change we do want to achieve in others.
zayyyna
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zayyyna.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by zayyyna »

i guess coaching is very much necessary in today's world for living the social life and to understand it by your ownself, preaching also be quite usefull for somone who adores you and whom you adore or might me anyboddy seeking for some adivice it in case both must be very usefull for beings
Ruby Allman
Currently Reading: The Reverend Psychopath
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruby-allman.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ruby Allman »

I found this book exceptionally preachy, but with a coaching aspect as well. The author has a specific audience in mind so I don't find his approach off-putting.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

The author being a practicing Christian has written this book based on his experiences and beliefs. Taking away the references to Jesus and Bible will take away the honesty and the sincerity with which the author has written the book. As a non-Christian, I did find applying some principles and advice as unfeasible for myself because I grew up with different habits and mores than the author. But I can also understand why the author included the learnings from his faith. It's a part of him and will always reflect in his writings.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie

Return to “Discuss " Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute" by Jeff Meyer”