What do you think about the use of medical jargon?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: What do you think about the use of medical jargon?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Gemjay wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 22:29 I don't think it's wrong for the author to include such details. Disclosing all the details makes the reader feel like they are part of her journey and it makes the reader relate to what the author is experiencing. I honestly think it's essential.
I also do not think that the author had to hold any information, whether it was related to her illness or her profession. What I insist is that she had to keep on mind about the intended audience. She was writing this book for the common reader. So she could have avoided the medical jargon as much as possible for the better understanding of the majority of the readers who do not have a basic medical knowledge.
Bernard Udofia
Favorite Author: Biz Stone
Currently Reading: Things a Little Bird Told Me: Confessions of the Creative Mind
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernard-udofia.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright
fav_author_id: 72309

Post by Bernard Udofia »

Sushan wrote: 31 May 2021, 23:50 The author has gone to the extent of describing, at the very beginning of the book, she being diagnosed with a cancer, the tests that were done, the procedures and their results, the names of medications, etc. Is it a good thing to include that much technical content in a book which is intended for non-medical personnel?
Well, the issue of using jargon in writing is a slippery slope. There's the fact that to much jargon may make it incomprehensible to the lay reader, however, I don't think she could have presented her personal experience in that context any other way. Besides, readers could also take that as a learning moment and do a little Google research to properly understand the terms she used and what they mean. They'll end up more informed about the world of cancer and it's treatment.
Natalia Nazeem
Favorite Book: The Amulet of Samarkand
Currently Reading: We are Volhuire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalia-nazeem.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Natalia Nazeem »

I think that having a certain amount of medical content is necessary in order to provide the context required to understand the book. Since the author is trying to instill change, educate their readers and influence their audience, medical jargon is a necessary part of the message. What's useful is that the author provides explanations to all the terms used - there are no assumptions about how medically literate the readers are, which is useful. I personally found the explanations to be very useful, and helped tighten my opinion of the book as a whole.
Mimi Kenneth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimi-kenneth.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Mimi Kenneth »

I think it's okay to use technician terms as it provides much information on the illness being talked about as it shows good knowledge about the illness in question on the path of the author. But, I think it should also be limited to ensure maximum understanding.
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

It is a good thing, she's providing detail. Even though she's providing detail which most readers are unable to understand, she's giving those who are interested in her illness or those who have her illness a way to relate to her.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

ReviewerDiksha wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 23:19 I think it is not unnecessary, because the book isn't JUST for non-medical personnel. You can't know the background of the reader. And for the author to share their medical jargon can be relatable to a reader who is going through something similar.
Well, it is not only for non-medical personnel, but mainly the ones who get benefitted from this book are non-medical personnel. So it would have been better if the medical jargon was used in a less amount.

Describing the illness in detail could have helped a patient to relate it for his own self, but that too would have been easier if the medical terms were used in a less amount.
Sushan Ekanayake

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 23:36 I thought the exact experiences and truth about medical terms and the real ness of cancer is a great thing to offer discussion about. Is it her intention to want to create a “comfortable “ side to the ugliness of being diagnosed with cancer? Medical terminology is real and to understand what things actually mean is what will get people through this together.
A good explanation will make the reader understand what the author really meant. But that does not mean extensive use of technical terms which will reduce the understandability. An explanation should be appropriate to the understanding capacity of the listener (or the reader).
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I don’t think it is bad to include that much technical content. That’s what makes the book more informative and professional. All that medical stuff gave even non-medical personnel more reliable information that they can relate to and can take necessary measures if ever needed in near future. Well, I agree that for some readers searching these terms could be a hassle.
Sushan Ekanayake

Thokchom Alice wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 00:16 I think it is good to include medical jargons. In practical, we are going to come across all these words. Even if it's a little difficult for people, it's beneficial.
I agree that one can use this book with the intent of learning those terms. But I am not sure that the majority of the readers will have that intent. Many will want to get themselves quickly educated about what to be careful when they get healthcare services. So for that majority extensive use of medical jargon will be a hindrance for a fluid reading experience.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

The answer has two parts to it: Although heavy medical jargon might seem to affect the fluency of the book and might seem to slow one down intially and. In the long run, it might happen that it will be stored sonewhere in the back of your head and become useful to you in future. Think of it as an opportunity to learn. I mean isn't a big purpose of reading books is to obtain general knowledge and learn new things?
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

I think the medical jargons in this book were necessary and well-explained. Besides, what's a medical-related book without a few jargon. It's also an avenue to learn new stuff.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I think the author's use of precise medical terminology is brilliant. It allows readers to understand exactly what is happening. And, with the internet as a resource, we can easily look up unfamiliar terms to get a complete explanation, thus expanding our medical knowledge and vocabulary at the same time.
Kebble
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebble.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Kebble »

My opinion is that the use of medical jargon is fine in a book, even if it may be read by non medical personal. They can be provided with a platform to learn the on-goings of the medical field and their language.They say no doctor in the world can know more about the condition a child has than the child's mother. Since books are meant for educational purposes, entertainment and leisure. I would say a medical book should to include medical jargon. Kindly note that people always have an option when choosing a book to read and if they do not like the medical technical stuff they can just move to books that do not include such. There is a saying which goes, "when you are in Rome, do what the Romans do." Reading a book is like being in the author's mind and if that mind is filled with medical jargon then so be it, enjoy, look up the meaning and learn.
Jessica045
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica045.html
Latest Review: George by James H Russell

Post by Jessica045 »

I actually loved the way the author used medical jargon. It made the book well detailed and it was very informative. Non media personnel should see this in a good light as it educates on the true nature of cancer and everything about it comprehensively.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

The author couldn't have avoided the use of medical jargon entirely but I think she should have toned it down. People who have gone through similar conditions can relate, however, non-medical personnel might find it a bit too much.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”