Healthcare, a choice or necessity?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Healthcare, a choice or necessity?

Post by cd20 »

Abisolalawal wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 02:44 Health care and insurance is a necessity in my opinion. There are times when unforseen circumstances happens and it is better to be prepared than to be sorry and add pressure of raising funds to the health pressure already on ground. So health insurance is a necessity
Yes, you are right. Even though we have a choice whether we get it or not, it is a necessity. There are times when things crop up that you were not expecting and now hospitals and stuff make you pay some costs before they will even help you. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

S P wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 10:36 I completely agree - no person spends their whole life outside of medical care. Every single human being will require medical attention at some point, and as we age it gets more and more inevitable. Often our need for healthcare is totally out of our control, but the cost of it is so expensive. Additionally, many healthcare problems disproportionately affect those who happen to earn less money and cannot afford the care they need (if they are in certain countries). For that reason, free healthcare should be considered a human right.
I agree, no one can go (or should go) their whole life without some kind of medical care. As we get older the chances go up that we will be on medications or have injuries requiring medical care. While we do have a choice whether we get insurance or not, it does not feel much like a choice. Thank you for sharing your opinion.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 11:05 Healthcare is no doubt a necessity, you can need it even without medical issues (for example, pregnancy and childbirth). But the insurance part depends on the system, and there are countries where the health system is entirely free. In my country, we have a mixed one, part public and part private, and people without health insurance can obtain healthcare regardless.
I agree healthcare is a necessity. I am glad that your country has a mixed option, whereas here in America you need healthcare, and even still, it makes it hard to pay your bills. I had no idea other countries did not require healthcare as the government pays for the medical care. Regardless, I think you are able to get more help with insurance, than without it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 11:14 I absolutely agree with the author. It definitely is not a choice. No matter how much you take care of yourself, do exercise or yoga or eat healthy food. Everyone must have a health insurance.
I agree. It is not a choice. It is made to look like we have a choice, but really we do not. At some point in our lives, we will have something that needs medical attention, and at that point, we need health insurance. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

ViviVivid wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 12:02 In today's world, healthcare is a necessity in all aspects. Everyone requires healthcare at least once, if not more, in their lifetime. Right from birth till the end, there is no guarantee of life. Accidents happen, pandemics happen. Healthcare must be guaranteed to all.
Yes, while it seems like we have a choice rather to have health insurance or not, we really do not. It is a necessary evil. Something will come up at some point requiring that you have health insurance. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

jaym_tan wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 12:42 Healthcare is a necessity, we cannot be too sure that we don't have any underlying issues in our bodies. Treatments are not easy so it is better to have one before it is too late.
I agree, it is a necessity. At some point in time, we will need medical care and if we do not have medical insurance, the bills will ruin us. If it is something major it really could lead to financial ruin without insurance. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Black Jewel wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 12:49 I agree that it is not a choice, but due to the high costs of health insurance, it is often a choice that is necessary to be made.. Can I afford to have health insurance on the chance that I will need it? Or would I rather use the funds to feed myself and my family? How long can I gamble? For some, it is simply a luxury that cannot be afforded, even if it is a dangerous gamble to be taken.
I agree with you completely. It is made to look like we have a choice, should we get it or not, but really, it's no choice. Some people simply cannot afford it so the choice is made for them. Others simply do not want to pay for it, so they make the choice to gamble. When my husband and I got married we did not have insurance and could not afford it. I fell down concrete steps and really messed up my back, so I did not get medical attention, something I regret, but we did what we felt we had to do. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Nebula__12
Currently Reading: The Truth About Forever
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nebula__12 »

Healthcare will never be a choice. People seem to forget that not all humans have insurance and not all insurances cover everything. Its not "luxury" being sick or needing medicine. After all one of the human rights is right to life!!
Jedi_Pants
Currently Reading: Song of the Six Realms
Bookshelf Size: 581
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jedi-pants.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Jedi_Pants »

ViviVivid wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 12:02 In today's world, healthcare is a necessity in all aspects. Everyone requires healthcare at least once, if not more, in their lifetime. Right from birth till the end, there is no guarantee of life. Accidents happen, pandemics happen. Healthcare must be guaranteed to all.
I think you sum up the "necessity" part perfectly. I think that it was always required, but given the advances made in medicine, it baffles me how many don't have adequate healthcare. I know someone who walked around with a bullet in their ankle for almost a year because they couldn't afford the ER; and the PT and other issues they had to deal with after getting insurance made the injury a lot worse.

So yes, to parrot everyone so far, healthcare is an absolute necessity, not a choice.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Healthcare is honestly a necessity for all. Its everyone's personal responsibility to ensure that they are in good health and there's no unnecessary scares that could have been prevented. Monthly checkups are vital in monitoring one's state of health so I would agree with you.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Independence Corrupted by Charles Benjamin Schudson

Post by Harty Muli »

I agree with this statement because medical care is tied in with the state of our health. Since invariably we fall ill as human beings, then its imperative that we factor in our medicare needs in our personal planning or budgeting.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Huini Hellen »

cd20 wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 16:14 The author states, "We should be able to agree that everyone during his or her life will require some form of medical care. Given this, it is not a choice, but honestly a necessity for all (p79)." Do you agree or disagree with this?
I agree that healthcare is a necessity. In as much as sickness is not a predetermined condition, we all need insurance against situations that most probably catch us off guard and force us to divert our savings from our intended Investments.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I agree! As a retired nurse, I know firsthand all of the charges a person gets hit with during a hospital stay. As a patient, I am feeling the financial burden of it as well. Unless one is a multi-millionaire they need to have health insurance.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: Tehanu
Bookshelf Size: 623
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: By The Rivers of Babylon by Mary Glickman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

Of course, it's a necessity. No one knows what may wait around the bend in life. You can be here one day and gone the next. Similarly, an automobile accident, a bout with pneumonia, a jab with a kitchen knife and subsequent infection can all happen at a moment's notice. Not having the insurance to pay for the medical expenses can be devastating. Not only is it necessary, but it should also be a right for all citizens.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

REIGNING20 wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 05:25
cd20 wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 16:14 The author states, "We should be able to agree that everyone during his or her life will require some form of medical care. Given this, it is not a choice, but honestly a necessity for all (p79)." Do you agree or disagree with this?
I agree that healthcare is a necessity. In as much as sickness is not a predetermined condition, we all need insurance against situations that most probably catch us off guard and force us to divert our savings from our intended Investments.
So true! Even with health insurance, we have found ourselves draining our savings to pay medical costs. It is a very necessary evil, even though we have a choice rather we get it or not. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”