Healthcare, a choice or necessity?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Healthcare, a choice or necessity?

Post by cd20 »

Dimi1 wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 02:22 Healthcare is always a necessity. It should be considered a necessity no matter the country. It's like a basic need that needs to be met and I don't really understand what insurance has to do with it. I understand that for secondary health issues (e.g. a cosmetic plastic surgery) there needs to be an insurance payment but I don't get it why healthcare is considered a choice in some countries. It's a basic need that all respected governments should cover.
I agree that healthcare is always a necessity and should not be related to insurance, but unfortunately, at least where I live, it is. I also agree that it is a basic need that all people have and it would be nice if the governments would cover it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Mounce574 wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 03:10 I agree with it partially. The positive side there have been vaccines created to prevent diseases that cause things like polio and chicken pox. There are also tests that are able to catch other maladies from going unnoticed (pap smear, mammograms).
The negative side is that the cost of insurance and copays are astronomical. I have read my treatment bill for cancer and my blood transfusion. In 3 days my bill was almost $38,000. Thankfully I had insurance and Cherokee benefits. To break it down, sleeping in their uncomfortable bed, losing 2 units of blood from something that went wrong during the surgery(4 units of blood is what you require to live), and pain medicine in my iv cost more than what some people earn in a year.
The second negative is the people that want medicine or miracle pills for any little thing. Antibiotics and vaccinations temporarily lower your immune system's ability to respond naturally. The side effects of some medicines have been known to be worse than what they cure.
Healthcare is nessary but there is reform that needs to be done in my opinion.
I think it is necessary and I know we have a choice, but it does not feel like we have a choice. Insurance is very helpful, if you can afford it, but unfortunately, not everyone can. I agree that there are positives and negatives and that reform needs to happen. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Hopefully, you were able to manage our out-of-pocket costs!! :o
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Esther11 wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 04:05 I do agree with the author. We can make ourselves healthy as much as we can but there will always be a time when it hits you and you can't stop it no matter how healthy you were before that. So yes, healthcare is not a choice but a necessity.
I agree, no matter how well you take care of yourself, you cannot prevent every illness or cancer. We do have the option of paying for healthcare or not, but it is a necessity. One that some people cannot afford, and others simply choose not to have. Thank you for sharing your opinions.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Michelle Fred wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 07:22 Healthcare is an absolute necessity that everyone will need at some point in their lives. Beyond medications and orthodox medicine, people go to great lengths to maintain optimal health. It could be in the form of eating healthier and exercising or other unconventional methods. Healthcare is not a choice at all no matter unconcerned some people are about it.
I agree that it is a necessity, but I also think it is a choice. Some people will choose not to pay for it (and may regret it later), but we do have a choice. There are others who have no choice as they simply cannot afford it. I also agree that no matter how well we take care of ourselves, at some point we will need medical attention and require insurance. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Mercy Osmond wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 13:16 I agree with the author that healthcare is very necessary in our lives. This is because everyone get sick, its not something we can prevent, It is part of of us.
I agree that healthcare is necessary. I also think we have a choice. We can choose not to get it, or to get it. Not everyone is able to afford it, so for some, there really is no choice, no matter how necessary it is. I agree we all will get sick at some point in our lives, requiring the use of healthcare. Thank you for sharing your opinions.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Definitely side with necessity. It's difficult to live in a world rife with vehicles and illnesses at every corner. Without it, people would die a lot quicker.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

I agree that healthcare is a necessity. Just as car insurance is required to drive a car, healthcare should be a necessity for all. Those who don't utilize healthcare might end up hurting themselves more or might not live life to the fullest because of their diminished health.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

cd20 wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 14:56
MarianaFigueira wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 11:05 Healthcare is no doubt a necessity, you can need it even without medical issues (for example, pregnancy and childbirth). But the insurance part depends on the system, and there are countries where the health system is entirely free. In my country, we have a mixed one, part public and part private, and people without health insurance can obtain healthcare regardless.
I agree healthcare is a necessity. I am glad that your country has a mixed option, whereas here in America you need healthcare, and even still, it makes it hard to pay your bills. I had no idea other countries did not require healthcare as the government pays for the medical care. Regardless, I think you are able to get more help with insurance, than without it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Yes, here in Venezuela the government funds the hospitals, but corruption has deviated the funds and there is a shortage of way too many things in hospitals right now. Obviously, it's a much better, but far less common option, to have insurance.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Vishnu Priya B
Currently Reading: The Unwanted Guest
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishnu-priya-b.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Vishnu Priya B »

I agree with the author. Of course, health care is a necessity. You will certainly require some kind of medical attention at least once in your lifetime. Sadly, there are too many people out in the world either considering health care as an option or treating themselves as immortal.
Ari Martinez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Post by Ari Martinez »

Black Jewel wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 12:49 I agree that it is not a choice, but due to the high costs of health insurance, it is often a choice that is necessary to be made.. Can I afford to have health insurance on the chance that I will need it? Or would I rather use the funds to feed myself and my family? How long can I gamble? For some, it is simply a luxury that cannot be afforded, even if it is a dangerous gamble to be taken.
I completely agree with you. Yes, it is a necessity, but just because it's a necessity doesn't mean everyone will be able to afford it. There are lots of people who make the choice everyday to ignore that "slight back pain" or ignore that "growing bump" because they simply can't afford to pay the bills and pay for healthcare at the same time.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

It is without reasonable doubt a necessity. How does one choose to be ill? Like it is required to get well. Not all diseases are self-limiting. But in other cases where one has a terminal illness, I agree it can be a choice. If one wishes to live the rest of their days not in the hospital but traveling or something.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Apeksha Pant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Apeksha Pant »

Looking at current scenario And how unpredictable life can be , healthcare is a necessity. Taking care and being healthy is the key to not only being happy but also surviving such times. And this is across all ages groups
cd20

Post by cd20 »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 19:12
cd20 wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 14:56
MarianaFigueira wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 11:05 Healthcare is no doubt a necessity, you can need it even without medical issues (for example, pregnancy and childbirth). But the insurance part depends on the system, and there are countries where the health system is entirely free. In my country, we have a mixed one, part public and part private, and people without health insurance can obtain healthcare regardless.
I agree healthcare is a necessity. I am glad that your country has a mixed option, whereas here in America you need healthcare, and even still, it makes it hard to pay your bills. I had no idea other countries did not require healthcare as the government pays for the medical care. Regardless, I think you are able to get more help with insurance, than without it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Yes, here in Venezuela the government funds the hospitals, but corruption has deviated the funds and there is a shortage of way too many things in hospitals right now. Obviously, it's a much better, but far less common option, to have insurance.
Unfortunately, corruption is everywhere. That is awful that you all have a shortage of needed materials, hopefully that gets better soon. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Wesusa wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 14:53 Definitely side with necessity. It's difficult to live in a world rife with vehicles and illnesses at every corner. Without it, people would die a lot quicker.
Yes, it is a necessary evil (evil in what we have to pay for it). It is difficult to live in a world where there is constant sickness. I agree, without it, people would die quicker. It is especially difficult for those in poverty who cannot afford it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

kridz21 wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 15:13 I agree that healthcare is a necessity. Just as car insurance is required to drive a car, healthcare should be a necessity for all. Those who don't utilize healthcare might end up hurting themselves more or might not live life to the fullest because of their diminished health.
Yes, healthcare is a necessity, but I do not agree that it should be required for all. If it was a requirement for all, then it would have to be affordable for all, and it is not. Those who do not utilize healthcare, but can afford it, are acting irresponsible, but I guess it is their choice. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”