Healthcare, a choice or necessity?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Healthcare, a choice or necessity?

Post by cd20 »

Vishnu Priya B wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 22:05 I agree with the author. Of course, health care is a necessity. You will certainly require some kind of medical attention at least once in your lifetime. Sadly, there are too many people out in the world either considering health care as an option or treating themselves as immortal.
I agree that healthcare is necessary, but unfortunately, it is not something that everyone can afford. I agree that there are some who can afford it and refuse to buy it, and in that way, they are acting irresponsible, but I guess it is their choice. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

63tty wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 08:54 It is without reasonable doubt a necessity. How does one choose to be ill? Like it is required to get well. Not all diseases are self-limiting. But in other cases where one has a terminal illness, I agree it can be a choice. If one wishes to live the rest of their days not in the hospital but traveling or something.
I agree it is a necessity, but it is not something that everyone can afford. No one chooses to be ill, but some refuse to seek treatment because they do not have insurance and cannot afford the medical bills either. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Apeksha Pant wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 12:37 Looking at current scenario And how unpredictable life can be , healthcare is a necessity. Taking care and being healthy is the key to not only being happy but also surviving such times. And this is across all ages groups
I agree, it seems to be more of a necessity now than it has ever been. Unfortunately, for some, it is still unattainable because they simply cannot afford it. And, you will always have those who can afford it, but refuse to use it, thinking it is a waste of money. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

Where I reside, unlike USA, insurance is not an obligation. Most employers, either private or public sector do give you medical compensation(insurance) not just for you but for spouse , children and even parents sometimes. But it is your choice to use it or not. It is somewhat a choice if you live somewhere where the bills aren't always astronomical (like USA)
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Honestly, I don't know of anyone who enjoys being sick. There are instances when a person chooses not to get healthcare, and I respect that decision. But it may not always be the best one. Overall, healthcare is a necessity, just like food, security, and shelter; however, the type of healthcare someone wants should be their choice.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

Healthcare is definitely a necessity. No one makes it though life never needing medical attention. Even people who avoid doctors will eventually need one. Having health insurance is a necessity that all people should be able to have.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Sophia U
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-u.html
Latest Review: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story by Mark Zullo

Post by Sophia U »

Literally speaking, acquiring healthcare and insurance is a choice. However, as circumstances dictate, everyone needs healthcare and insurance at some point in their life. I would say it is a beneficial backup because while healthcare and insurance is obviously very important, it only becomes a necessity when you're in need of it.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

While I was in school, I studied about insurance. One thing that I learnt is what we are taught in school is different from what is in the real world. True and I agree that everyone needs health care. And I am happy about the world today because the medical care is integrated and whenever I have an issue with my health, I am always looking towards accessing it.
Anelka ky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anelka-ky.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Anelka ky »

Healthcare is a necessity but health insurance may or may not be. Not everyone chooses to use modern forms of healthcare. So I think healthcare is necessary but health insurance depends on the form of healthcare a person chooses.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

Healthcare is a necessity. We never know what is around the corner and when we will require medical assistance. It’s very sad that a lot of the world does not have access to adequate medical care, some of the world has to pay for it, and I’m some countries it is free. I believe everyone should be entitled to this essential necessity.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Reader-247 wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 15:42 Where I reside, unlike USA, insurance is not an obligation. Most employers, either private or public sector do give you medical compensation(insurance) not just for you but for spouse , children and even parents sometimes. But it is your choice to use it or not. It is somewhat a choice if you live somewhere where the bills aren't always astronomical (like USA)
Where do you live? Insurance is not an obligation here (USA) per se, but it is a necessary evil. Employers here also offer insurance for the spouse and children, but you have to pay for it. Even still, most things are not covered completely by insurance and the bills add up quickly. I think most bills here are pretty high, even for things that are needed, like medications. I have lived in several different countries (Africa, Asia, Greece) and my medications were cheaper in all those places than here. I do agree, healthcare is not the same across the board, and neither are the prices you have to pay for stuff. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 15:47 Honestly, I don't know of anyone who enjoys being sick. There are instances when a person chooses not to get healthcare, and I respect that decision. But it may not always be the best one. Overall, healthcare is a necessity, just like food, security, and shelter; however, the type of healthcare someone wants should be their choice.
I agree with you on all your points. No one enjoys being sick, insurance really isn't an option, and we should be able to decide what type of healthcare we want. In an ideal world, we would all be able to have those choices and afford the insurance that we need. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Jenniferg_1105 wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 16:24 Healthcare is definitely a necessity. No one makes it though life never needing medical attention. Even people who avoid doctors will eventually need one. Having health insurance is a necessity that all people should be able to have.
I agree, it is definitely a necessity and we all will eventually need a doctor. My husband is one of those people who avoid doctors, but he was recently really sick and the fact that he did not have a primary doctor really came back to haunt him. Even after that experience, he has not made the time to find a doctor, and urgent care bills are a lot higher than a primary doctor. We do have insurance, so that helps, but the bills are still high. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Sophia U wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 07:55 Literally speaking, acquiring healthcare and insurance is a choice. However, as circumstances dictate, everyone needs healthcare and insurance at some point in their life. I would say it is a beneficial backup because while healthcare and insurance is obviously very important, it only becomes a necessity when you're in need of it.
Exactly, literally speaking, it is a choice. Unfortunately, the reality is that we all will need it at some point in time, some more than others, and there is no way to predict that. So you might pay for it for twenty years and never need, and then get hit with something. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

CYSON DOROPH wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 10:58 While I was in school, I studied about insurance. One thing that I learnt is what we are taught in school is different from what is in the real world. True and I agree that everyone needs health care. And I am happy about the world today because the medical care is integrated and whenever I have an issue with my health, I am always looking towards accessing it.
I would also agree that everyone needs health insurance. The reality is that not everyone can afford it. I am thankful that we do have good health care, I just wish it didn't cost so much money. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”