What do you think about the way the book is presented?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Re: What do you think about the way the book is presented?

Post by Hhannahh »

This book is a collection of diverse information, but that doesn't make it illogical. The logical connection between everything in the book is the author herself. Beyond sharing her opinion on the business of healthcare, she also shares her personal experience in the business of healthcare. For me, that gives the reader a wholesome view of the business and personal aspect of healthcare.
Rochelle457
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rochelle-schoeman.html
Latest Review: Dark Matter Empire (Book 1) by Alex Zadeh

Post by Rochelle457 »

The book layout was very well-thought-out for me. In the beginning I was a bit confused with a few chapter, but at the end of the book, everything made sense and fit together well. What I liked most was to see the story from the doctor's side as well as the patient's side. It was well rounded.
Jessica045
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica045.html
Latest Review: George by James H Russell

Post by Jessica045 »

I don't think or see it as scattered information or not relevant. All events were necessary. I guess she included her early experiences to make her main subject of discussion relatable and authentic.
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

It definitely doesn't seem to me that it is a scattered piece of information. The author has given the story from her own life and in real life also, nothing happens in a systematic way. She has presented the story as a patient as well as a medical practitioner. Her only intention was to make people aware of the health system and impart the knowledge that she gained throughout the journey.
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

I think that the author must have seen a relationship since she included such things together. Perhaps she felt that after all her experiences and what had happened to her she saw how important insurance is and how it may be necessary for people in similar situations
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Worm Reader wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 10:48 For a single volume, I believe this book provided a lot of information. I'd want two sides of the story, one from her perspective as she deals with problems in her thoughts, and the other from the view of what's going on, the right action.
A good suggestion. The book could have contained two sections, rather than two volumes. One part to describe her career and the related stuff and the other to describe what she went through as a patient. In that way the book could have been more organized.
Mutai Marshal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I appreciated the diversity of this book. Like our lives, which are made up of a spectrum of experiences, it was vital to involve all the aspects in this book. Furthermore, we can use our experiences to develop arguments and tenets that we believe in.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

I think it's done surprisingly well, written like vignettes or bursts of information, glimpses through a keyhole into one's life. If the content wasn't written as well, I probably would've found it annoying.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

I think the author carefully put this book together and each chapter was an extension of the next. I mean, how can I understand the economics of health care if I am not able to understand the gravity of the medical condition that should cost more.
Joseph Dunn
Currently Reading: The Paris mysteries
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-dunn.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Joseph Dunn »

I feel that the author prepared readers for a discussion of her about her illness, her why, and her childhood in the book's subtitle: A Unique Perspective from a 4th Generation Family Practice Provider and New Cancer Patient. In my opinion, each of these components validates her perspective as an insider.
Jessi_reads
Currently Reading: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessi-reads.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jessi_reads »

I think the book is presented very well by putting light on the different sites. She shows the professional site and her personal view on the situations, and in my mind, it is so interesting to see how that differs. You feel with the writer's personal view and understand better what the problems are and how some can be solved easily.
Maria_Kubicova
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-kubicova.html
Latest Review: Tales from the Gray Area by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Maria_Kubicova »

This book's conversational approach appealed to me, and I appreciated the author's decision to make the book more personal by sharing her own experiences.
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

sssns wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 21:46 The author presented the topic wearing two hats: as a client and as a service provider.  I think the intent is to show different perspectives.  The different angles help in understanding the complexity of the system.  It is beneficial for both parties because it provides an opportunity to align the needs of the client and what the provider can offer.
I agree. I do not think that the author intended to represent both parties when she started to write this book. But ironically she ended up representing the total opposite of her job, being a patient herself. But I think that was fortune for the readers, because they could get first hand experience from her in both the titles, as a doctor as well as a patient.
Sushan Ekanayake

Ghuddie eso wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 23:26 I honestly feel the book contains scattered pieces of information. Some parts of the book is unconnected to the other. However, I see it as the author telling her story the best way she can. It's her story and she's at liberty to tell it however she wishes.
At last I see someone thinking as same as myself. Yes, she is at liberty of including whatever she want in her book. But at least some of the readers might wander about the relevance and necessity of some data for a book like this, and some might even find it as a distraction.
Sushan Ekanayake

Hogwarts03 wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 03:18 The book's presentation is actually quite beneficial in the sense that it helps us connect to her a real person who went through childhood and everything we did. This makes the fact that cancer happened to her real and that it can happen to any one of us. It presents both perspectives and makes it more appealing and reachable rather than something that doesn't feel real.
You have a point. She showed the reader that she came up as an ordinary person, became a doctor, served her patients and ultimately ended up having a cancer. So the reader can simply relate the book to themselves and the details will carry more weight and authenticity than someone imagining such a situation and writing a similar kind of book.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”