What do you think about the way the book is presented?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

What do you think about the way the book is presented?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

The author has talked about general practitioners, her childhood home, and her own illness while talking about health insurance plans, choosing a primary care provider, creating living wills, etc. (Chapter 1 - about her illness, chapter 2 - why she wrote this book, chapter 3 - her father's practice and her childhood)

Do you feel like this book is a collection of scattered pieces of information or do you see a logical connection in between these content? What might have been the author's intention in including all this lateral information when she wanted to talk about the 'business aspect' of healthcare system?
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

I think that this book should be taken as screen shots of her life and her perspective of how things have changed for her. She wrote both sides one as a patient with her own experiences and from the side of the practitioner.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

At first, I thought that the first chapters you talked about weren't related, but after reading the entire volume, I found out that it was very helpful for me to relate to her as a common person who also needs health insurance plans because it's very common to read books that the author distances herself or himself from events, but the author here talked about her story too, making it easier to understand her motivations and to relate to the book too.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

I don't see them as scattered pieces of information. I believe that by talking about her cancer and her background, the author is seeking to be as relatable as possible before sharing her knowledge about the business aspect of the healthcare system.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

“Knowledge is power”. This proves to be true by reading the journey of a woman with a plethora of knowledge in the business of healthcare. Soon becoming a patient herself, the author made the story about her experience in the incredible difference of now being a person on the other side.This is a fantastic self-help book that was written with self love and much care and kindness. The content is Logical as I do not feel there is any evidence of scattered pieces of information at all.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

I was most intrigued about the topic on creating living wills because people rarely think about whom they want to leave their inheritance to. Moreover, I believe the concerns raised by the author are relevant in contemporary times as they are not merely scattered ideas.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Gabrielle Sigaki

Buk Nerd wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 12:39 I don't see them as scattered pieces of information. I believe that by talking about her cancer and her background, the author is seeking to be as relatable as possible before sharing her knowledge about the business aspect of the healthcare system.
I agree with you, the fact that the author showed her story makes the book more relatable since we see that she is a common person who also needs to use the healthcare system. I thought about it because a lot of authors tend to distance themselves from the situations their non-fiction books talk about, but this isn't the case of this book.
Gabrielle Sigaki

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 23:16 “Knowledge is power”. This proves to be true by reading the journey of a woman with a plethora of knowledge in the business of healthcare. Soon becoming a patient herself, the author made the story about her experience in the incredible difference of now being a person on the other side.This is a fantastic self-help book that was written with self love and much care and kindness. The content is Logical as I do not feel there is any evidence of scattered pieces of information at all.
I hadn't thought about the self-help aspect of this book like that before reading your comment, but now I see that the author wrote this book with a lot of self-love indeed. She cares about people and loves her work, which is pretty inspirational.
Gabrielle Sigaki

Amanda Dobson wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 11:51 I think that this book should be taken as screen shots of her life and her perspective of how things have changed for her. She wrote both sides one as a patient with her own experiences and from the side of the practitioner.
Indeed, that aspect when she talks about herself as a patient really approximates her to us, and when she talks about herself as a practitioner she gives us important arguments on the subject as something close to her job experiences. That aspect of the book is fascinating.
Gabrielle Sigaki

REIGNING20 wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 01:19 I was most intrigued about the topic on creating living wills because people rarely think about whom they want to leave their inheritance to. Moreover, I believe the concerns raised by the author are relevant in contemporary times as they are not merely scattered ideas.
I didn't give much thought to that topic of living wills, but it's true that most people don't think about it and the lack of it can cause fights in the family too. It's interesting how this book brings so many themes that aren't directly related to your personal health, but you find out that they are actually related.
Worm Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-worm-reader.html
Latest Review: Jane Grace: Library of Light by Trace Sonnleitner

Post by Worm Reader »

For a single volume, I believe this book provided a lot of information. I'd want two sides of the story, one from her perspective as she deals with problems in her thoughts, and the other from the view of what's going on, the right action.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The author presented the topic wearing two hats: as a client and as a service provider.  I think the intent is to show different perspectives.  The different angles help in understanding the complexity of the system.  It is beneficial for both parties because it provides an opportunity to align the needs of the client and what the provider can offer.
Ghuddie eso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie-eso.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Ghuddie eso »

I honestly feel the book contains scattered pieces of information. Some parts of the book is unconnected to the other. However, I see it as the author telling her story the best way she can. It's her story and she's at liberty to tell it however she wishes.
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

The book's presentation is actually quite beneficial in the sense that it helps us connect to her a real person who went through childhood and everything we did. This makes the fact that cancer happened to her real and that it can happen to any one of us. It presents both perspectives and makes it more appealing and reachable rather than something that doesn't feel real.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I felt that her upbringing really didn't seem like it was pertinent to the information she was trying to give. It turned the book as a type of memoir where you had to pick through it to get the full impact of it.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”