First impression vs Final impression

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

First impression vs Final impression

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

When I first saw this book, I thought that it is written by a critic to criticize today's medical care which has become a business rather than a service. But later I realized that it is a book written by a doctor to help the people to understand today's complex healthcare system which is associated with various business aspects, including Health Insurances, choosing a primary care provider, shopping for medicine, etc.

What about you? What were your initial thoughts on the content of the book and how did they change after reading it? More importantly, did this book change any preoccupied ideas or myths that you had related to healthcare? Or did this worsen your fears related to your health as well as the healthcare system?
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

From the beginning, I thought that this book was a guide to help people to understand the healthcare system. After reading it, I think that it worsens my fears since I didn't give it so much thought until I read it and because I found that the healthcare system was much more complicated than I have ever thought.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

At first, I thought the same that this book is written to point out the hidden agenda behind medical insurance systems. Actually, it turns out to be very beneficial. It gives a reader a lot of knowledge.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
Huini Hellen
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

This book has clearly put forward the questions that we should raise matters our healthcare providers and how we all stand to benefit from their services, as far as health insurance is concerned.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Gabrielle Sigaki

Thokchom Alice wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 00:19 At first, I thought the same that this book is written to point out the hidden agenda behind medical insurance systems. Actually, it turns out to be very beneficial. It gives a reader a lot of knowledge.
This book indeed brings a lot of information about the healthcare system and about insurance too. Nevertheless, I thought that the medical insurance systems were simple, and I found out that they were pretty complicated, but also very important, especially when you have an emergency I think.
Gabrielle Sigaki

REIGNING20 wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 01:15 This book has clearly put forward the questions that we should raise matters our healthcare providers and how we all stand to benefit from their services, as far as health insurance is concerned.
The author really brought some interesting questions that a lot of governments don't seem to pay attention to, which is concerning, but the author's work is great to teach about the healthcare system in a unique manner.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Initially, the book seems like an examination of the business side of the health care system.  As I read along, different perspectives are presented.  They are helpful in evaluating the various products and services that they offer.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

When picking up this book I initially thought this was a great self-help without some information insurance and healthcare. But there’s so much more on the other side of the system and it gets sticky and more complicated than people realize. I appreciated the content but also see a whole different realm
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

My first impression of the book was a self help book about making it through the system. But it turned out to be so much more. I learned a lot I didn't expect to, and I'm glad I read it.
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 12:27 From the beginning, I thought that this book was a guide to help people to understand the healthcare system. After reading it, I think that it worsens my fears since I didn't give it so much thought until I read it and because I found that the healthcare system was much more complicated than I have ever thought.
Good thinking. There are many things in the world that we think we are aware of, but when it comes to practice, we know almost nothing about them, And it is rare for someone in some field to tell others the pitfalls in his/her own field. So this is quite a rare but good work from a doctor to educate the people on the healthcare business.
Sushan Ekanayake

Thokchom Alice wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 00:19 At first, I thought the same that this book is written to point out the hidden agenda behind medical insurance systems. Actually, it turns out to be very beneficial. It gives a reader a lot of knowledge.
I agree. Insurance is a field where most of us are lacking in knowledge, and even the insurance agents try to keep its consumers less knowledgeable because it makes it easier for them to manipulate their customers and earn more profit. So this author has done a great job by explaining the complex health insurance policies in a quite descriptive but simplistic form.
Sushan Ekanayake

REIGNING20 wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 01:15 This book has clearly put forward the questions that we should raise matters our healthcare providers and how we all stand to benefit from their services, as far as health insurance is concerned.
In most occasions people are either afraid to question their healthcare providers or they question but are given less or false information. As this author says, knowledge is power. So it is important to be educated on the services that you receive and this book is a great support for that.
Sushan Ekanayake

sssns wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 20:01 Initially, the book seems like an examination of the business side of the health care system.  As I read along, different perspectives are presented.  They are helpful in evaluating the various products and services that they offer.
Yes, the author goes step by step, outlining the business aspects that are related to medical field and then deepens the knowledge of the patients (the consumers) on various areas that they have to be tactful when getting served. It is really helpful to understand the complex things like what to consider when choosing an health insurance and a primary healthcare provider.
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

Honestly, from the start I sort of knew this book would serve as a guide or instruction to provide insight and knowledge. This carried on throughout the book.
I don't think my fears were worsened by the end of the book, but I was made more aware of the complexities of the healthcare system, which happens to be quite jarring if anyone is considering a future in medicine.
I found the book very simple and straightforward while providing a truthful insight of the area, which is quite commendable for today.
Sushan Ekanayake

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 22:26 When picking up this book I initially thought this was a great self-help without some information insurance and healthcare. But there’s so much more on the other side of the system and it gets sticky and more complicated than people realize. I appreciated the content but also see a whole different realm
Exactly. The author shows an aspect that no one will expect from the healthcare. So should one be afraid when choosing healthcare services? Yes, it is. But if you are educated enough, you have nothing to fear. As the author has said, "knowledge is power".

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”