Everything else could wait...or could it?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
BellaGBear
Currently Reading: Ethnography after Humanism
Bookshelf Size: 1567
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellagbear.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Re: Everything else could wait...or could it?

Post by BellaGBear »

It is a tricky one. Cause on the one hand as a healthcare worker you are responsible for the health of your patients. However, if you also involve other people in your life in the form of a husband or kids they are ALSO your responsibility. So I don't think everything should move for your patients, cause it can affect the (mental) health of the other people in your life non-work related. I don't know if that factors into the book as well. Not to forget the responsibility she has for herself to take care of herself.

However, I do know that overworking is addictive in its own way, and a sign of a burn-out is inflating the importance of YOUR work. And hours in healthcare are crazy. So she might be mixing up the importance of her responsibilities at work with her other responsibilities. And in the end it will always be a tough choice, cause in the healthcare profession the consequences of prioritizing is higher, than say in deciding to finish a website on time or not for a client.
Ana C Barrantes
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-c-barrantes.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Ana C Barrantes »

Preventing cancer will never be fully guaranteed. However, whether or not her chances of getting cancer got lowered, I do think that making more time for you and your loved ones is always the right move. You will not be able to fully succeed and give it your all in your calling or your job if you do not care for yourself.
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

I was once guilty of prioritizing my job over my health. My mental as well as physical health deteriorated. Everything must be put on hold when it comes to your health, and you must give your body the love, care, and attention it requires. Yes, I believe the author would have detected the illness much sooner if she had been more aware of what her body was telling her.
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Rachael S 1 »

I have absolutely prioritized my job over my health and it lead to significant weight gain and panic attacks. I did not realize how bad it had gotten until I switched jobs and went from working about 80 hours a week (in the office - not including how much time was spent thinking and analyzing problems when I was home/off-work) to working 50 hours and able to leave my job at home. I would never have been discovered I had been sick unless I collapsed and was forced to the hospital.
Drew Davis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drew-davis.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Drew Davis »

I don't think caring less about her carrer would have prevented her cancer or reduced her chances of getting sick. Being hyper-focused on her work did not cause her cancer so being less focused on her job would not have reduced her chances of getting sick. After all, if her job fulfills her and makes her happy, she is right to focus on it.
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

Definitely, health comes first. Yes, you can't survive without a job, but it's still possible. But without health, you really can't live to understand. In this order of things, I can say that even a little health problem can turn into a big one if it is not paid attention to in time.
Bennaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennaji.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Bennaji »

There should be a balance between care for your patients and taking care of oneself. It would help to keep one healthy, maintain good relationships and being respected at one's workplace.
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

Wow, what a thought provoking question. From personal experience of decades working in a hospital, I will say that it is incredibly easy (and often necessary) to place your patients and their families above your own personal needs. Nurses are always joking about how big their bladders are because they don’t have time to go to the bathroom as they are running for 12+ hours straight. The logical answer is that it is critical to care for ourselves first in order to care for others however healthcare is so busy that it is very difficult for many providers to find time to stop and prioritize taking care of themselves - even something so simple as a routine doctor’s exam that could possibly result in earlier detection.
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

Honestly, this is a difficult question that needs time to answer. For me, I would say she should follow her mind.
Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olomofe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Olomofe »

I agree with the author on this because when we love our job, as it makes us happy, it makes our life more meaningful and purposeful. However, for what the author that all other thing can wait... patients first, I will say that this doesn't mean that she won't be taking care of herself and that resulted in to getting cancer. Probably that is not case. Though, I don't know about the things involved in curing cancer
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

This is a difficult question though. But I would say her passion for her work was the driving force. Though she should have tried to balance her life. No one saw the cancer coming so I wouldn't blame it to her work.
kensgarment odogwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kensgarment-odogwu.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by kensgarment odogwu »

To me i think striking a balance is very important. In as much as the author is passionate about her career and patients i think she should recognize that she has her responsibilities as a wife and mother. If she is lacking in one area it would have an effect in other areas of her life. I she should be balanced in all areas.
kipper_
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kipper.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by kipper_ »

I think, more than anything, the author was sharing a very human trait about herself with all of us. No one is immune to health issues, and no one can step in at the right time in every situation. Even though she is highly knowledgeable on matters relating to healthcare, she still fell victim to the things that everyone else does too. I think an argument could be made that, because she was so passionate about caring for others, she developed tunnel vision for her own experiences. I think anyone could easily fall into the same situation, regardless of how many precautions are taken. Precautions reduce odds; but they don’t eliminate them.
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Wash William »

Well, I can't say much on this but being a healthcare worker makes you prone to nosocomial infections. I think would the disease would have taken time to develop if she had time for herself.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

The author wasn't doing it for money but she saw it to be part of her not to see others get hurt or in pain

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”