Everything else could wait...or could it?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Everything else could wait...or could it?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

amjad alhindi wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 14:39 I once read that a research which went on for several years found that what makes people actually happy is their relationships. I do believe we are (mostly, not totally) born to be happy and to live life to the fullest. so not only is it about spending time with loved ones, but also about spending time with ourselves reflecting on everything and deeply understanding the layers that lay deep within us. and that latter part is what's relating my answer to the question, maybe if she had time to rest it would have made the disease less cruel, or she would have discovered it sooner.

just a little note: this doesn't go against how important fulfilling one's goals and ambitions is. I do believe it makes us better, but balance is still the most important key term in this equation.
Thank you for the valuable information. I toot think so. Though many people claim to have their happiness in something else, I think it actually lies in your relationships. This includes your relationship with your own self as well. You should lookafter your self and from time to time you should analyze your own self, identify problems, and take necessary actions. I think this author missed that part and ended up with her cancer being gone too far.
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Nathaniel Owolabi wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 22:55 I think cancer is a disease that one can do so little about. It is almost impossible to say she would not have gotten sick with cancer if she had taken care of herself better because cancer can be caused by a variety of things, However, she still should have taken care of herself better nevertheless.
I do not say that she could have prevented getting cancer. But she definitely could have prevented it from spreading. At least she could have started treatment early if she gave her condition the necessary care. It is sad to see how a doctor who is supposed to diagnose others illnesses and treat failing to diagnose her own condition and unfortunately succumbing to the illness.
Sushan Ekanayake

Sara chhawniwala wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 03:38 I believe if she had taken better care of herself she could have avoided her disease. As she herself say, her patient were most important to her. But isnt caring about herself is caring about her patients too?
If she took her health into consideration along with her patients, she could have continued her job for a long time.

But then again, disease like cancer is not something that comes invited.
Yes, cancer is an illness that can strike you at most unexpected moments. Even though she took good care about herself she still might have got the cancer. But, as you said, a doctor caring for her own health is indirectly looking after her patients as well, because she has to be healthy to care for others. I think this author missed that point.
Sushan Ekanayake

Kutoyi Clare wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 07:10 The writer seems to have a seamless outlook on life where all that matters is her career. She doesn't anticipate any changes or interruptions in her personal life until she herself is diagnosed with cancer. What if it was her husband or one of her children? Did she ever imagine that she or her family may be the patients too? Thus I believe things would have turned out differently if she had taken the time to appreciate other aspects of her life. Though they may not outright say it, your loved ones need you more than you may realize.
A good point. Yes, she was happy despite of her illness thinking that she fulfilled her duties as a doctor and she was content with that. But if the cancer patient was her husband and if she could not diagnose the condition earlier, will she ever get out from the guilty feeling of not caring for her husband at the moment that he needed it the most. So it is important to spend the howevermuch little time that you have with your family and care for them as you can never predict what might happen next.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

I think for someone like the author who loves her job so much, it is easy to get lost in what you do and a 'I'll check/do it tomorrow' turns into a week/month or even years later. In the heat of the moment as she is moving through life with so much passion for what she does, taking care of oneself is only likely to succeed through intentional actions.
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

If u select your passion as your profession than it is highly improbable that you have to struggle to keep balance between your loved ones and your job. Even in that condition it might be a little difficult, but whatever you do, have a passion for your relationships as well so u dont end up between a rock and a hard place. Passion for ur profession and you relations is the key to balance.
Fliesie01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fliesie01.html
Latest Review: Inside Outside: Black Wings Series by Sharlie M. Riverton

Post by Fliesie01 »

Vishnu Priya B wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 01:47 I've always wondered how much time I have. What if my life ends the next minute? Will I regret it? The fact is I won't if I've lived a happy life. By happy, I don't mean the standards set by society but doing the things that would genuinely make me happy.
Not everyone has the same kind of priorities. For instance, I prioritise my family. Some people give more importance to their career. Likewise, the author found her happiness in caring for her patients. She clearly mentions it was her calling.
My take: prioritise whatever makes you happy. Everything else can wait... Of course!
This is a very good point, that everyone's priorities, goals, and dreams are different and we can't judge her choices and way of living.
The world belongs to those who read.
-Rick Holland
Faith - Benny Any
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-benny-any.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Faith - Benny Any »

This is beautiful. It means that she truly has passion for her job. This is why she places priority on her job and patients.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

The author's job involved looking after others. I would say she is selfless. Thank God her husband insisted on her taking the time to look after herself.
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

I think that in the end, you need to take care of yourself first. She may have put her patients first because she loved her job, but how will those patients fare without her there? I'm a teacher and a mother. I need to take care of myself first because if I'm not doing well, how can I help my students succeed? If I'm not healthy and happy, how can I make sure that my kids are as well? It might sound selfish, but you need to take time to make sure you are okay before you can help anyone else. It's just like on airplanes, put your own oxygen mask on before helping others.
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

I think it's important to have a healthy balance. For me it took some serious health issues to act as a wake up call that it was time to take care of myself as much as I took care of everyone else. As for the author, I don't think I could really say whether it would have made a difference in her cancer diagnosis necessarily, but yes, there are some things that just can't wait, one of them being our own health and wellbeing. On the other hand, a passion and genuine commitment to others as a lifelong calling is rare and valuable. When you are passionate about what you do, especially when caring for others, it's hard to focus on yourself and your own health. It is difficult to achieve that balance, but worth the effort to attempt to.
Caroline81
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Caroline81 »

Tomorrow isn't guaranteed so we make the most of today by doing what makes us happy so that at the end of the day there is contentment in our hearts but this is not to be achieved at the expense of everything especially those that relates to our well-being,therefore, not everything could wait.yes, the author loved her job so much but ther health should have been equally as important although it would not have stopped her from getting cancer but the problem would have been detected earlier.Paying attention to what one is passionate about is not being selfish but we should try to make some time for those we love too.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

I might die the next second. I have a son, a loving husband A good family and a house help which is more than family. I always try to do my best for all these people just to make sure not to regret it after I die that dud I do enough. For the author, it was her job that made her prioritize her decisions. She loved helping her patients so she did it because everything can wait but not this.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

I don't think that she would have been without the cancer even if she cared more about herself. But rather she could have seen the symptoms earlier with a bit more care. Even though so many people who are passionate about their work, takes work as a first priority I think there are some things in life that won't wait. Personal care should be a top priority for a person.
Laksha Maria Charbel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laksha-maria-charbel.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Reading Device: B08KKD61CM

Post by Laksha Maria Charbel »

Sushan wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 10:09
Laksha Maria Charbel wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 17:28 Until recently, I never realized the importance of self-care. My conscientiousness led to unpleasant consequences on my mental health. My illness not only affected me but also my family. I was also forced to leave my job. If we do not care for our physical and mental well-being, we will not be able to care for those we love, nor fulfill our duties. It is of vital importance to" put on our own oxygen masks before we help others."
Seemingly you have experienced the importance of caring for your own self in a bit harsh way. I wish that you are totally cured by now. It was same for this author as well. She too ended up with bad consequences by self ignorance. This tale and yours will be good eye openers to those who put their own self behind their work.
Indeed I have! Many thanks for ur well wishes :) Though it was a difficult situation that seemed endless at certain points. I and many of my close friends and acquaintances have drawn strength and understanding from it. The author has amiably shared her life lessons for the benefit of many and I hope I find the perseverance and courage to do that someday.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”