What do you think about the use of medical jargon?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Re: What do you think about the use of medical jargon?

Post by Park Cherri »

sssns wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 13:19 I think technical terms are inevitable in this kind of book. Also, the objective is to promote awareness and increase knowledge, so the details are important. A glossary, footnotes or end notes will be helpful in organizing the additional information or documentation supporting the technical terms. The references will also be a useful for those interested to do further research.
Yeah! I completely agree with this. The problem is not with the medical jargons, but the fact that we might not understand and a glossary would have done justice to that.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

The book did hit contain a lot of medical jargon. I was able to read and understand a lot in the book without having to google terms.
Odindi Omo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odindi-omo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Odindi Omo »

I think that part was very important because anyone that has also experienced such would read it and know that he or she is not alone in his or her sickness. Moreso, I believe these details are like a back bone to gain the trust of reader.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

I think the author wants to be as specific as she can be so that anyone who is in a similar situation or finds themselves in one can understand her experience. I don't see anything wrong with publishing all of that technical information.
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

Yes, you should always pursue your passions or activities that make you happy, but this shouldn't come at the expense of your health.
Peace Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-eze.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Peace Eze »

I don’t see anything wrong with that. I’m not medically inclined but I found most of the things she said useful and I had to research more on them.
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Agbata Trust »

Well for me who is conversant with most terms I enjoyed them but for other readers who are not medically inclined will have challenge with it.
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Post by Amanda Warner »

Leaving the details of the technical content would have been bad for me and probably made the book less interesting, as the author going into details was trying to make the reader see what exactly she went through and how she handled it, which is why this book should serve as a guide for the reader despite the medical terms.
Mimi JJ1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimi-jj1.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Mimi JJ1 »

Great review
Stephanie Stones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonchika.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Stephanie Stones »

I found the use of the medical jargon very educative and inspiring. I was able to understand the terms because the author explained in a detailed manner.
Nathaniel Sarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-sarah.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nathaniel Sarah »

Technical phrases, in my opinion, are unavoidable in this kind of text. The specifics are crucial because the goal is to advance knowledge and understanding. It will be easier to organize the supplementary information or supporting documents for the technical terms if there is a glossary. Those who are interested in conducting additional research will find the references to be helpful.
Monica Omonigho Bennymoore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monica-omonigho-bennymoore.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Monica Omonigho Bennymoore »

I love the use of medical jargon in the book as it could help those with same condition relate with the terms and concept. It will make them realize that they are not alone and the words will not be strange anymore to them seeing it in this book. The technical contents for non-medical personnel will serve as an educative reference materials. From my opinion her details of the technicalities in cancer will help demystify the mystery that enshrouds the ailment.
Mellino Itz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

It was wonderful that the author went into details so that those who have similar similar health condition could learn from it and get firsthand information about it. However for those who are not medically inclined, those medical jargon used could easily get them bored. I occasionally had to stop myself from worrying about them as I read through this book.
Ngozi mouau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-mouau.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ngozi mouau »

I am not familiar with medical phraseology, but I learned a lot of medical jargon and also found this book easy to understand.
Mercylib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercylib.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Mercylib »

I believe the author’s intention is to be as detailed as possible so that anyone who is or who finds themselves in a similar situation can relate to her experience. I don't think including all that technical content is bad at all.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”