What do you think about the use of medical jargon?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: What do you think about the use of medical jargon?

Post by Astral Magi »

In my opinion it adds to the authenticity, however it can also be a deterrent for readers who prefer easier reading and one should avoid too much technical jargon if the intended audience is a lay audience with little to no knowledge of the terminology used.
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

I like that the author used medical jargon to describe her predicament. It adds to the story and conveys the gravity of the situation. It also educates readers on the process of diagnosing and treating cancer. From where I stand, the use of medical terminology is in order.
Shreya Mishra 3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreya-mishra-3.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Shreya Mishra 3 »

I think it's great to go into details as it makes the readers to actually take interest in the book and undrstand the emotions better.
Dustin Stopher
Currently Reading: Perk's of being a Wallflower
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustin-stopher.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dustin Stopher »

I feel like the inclusion of this jargon is harmless enough. It is not necessary for the average reader to understand the details of conditions or medications, but rather the context of them in the health care system. In this regard, the author’s points are successful.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

I think the medical jargons are good. Since its a book related to health, the author needs to go in-depth about it. And i think it will educate readers on that too.
Ana C Barrantes
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-c-barrantes.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Ana C Barrantes »

I think the use of medical jargon is important, even when the book's purpose is not medical, because you never know why someone will pick up the book and how much information they will want or need from it. If it is irrelevant to the reader they will simply move on reading, but it might not be. I think when it comes to health, medicine, and science it is best to have as much information as possible.
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

Personally, I appreciate the medical terms, having had cancer twice. It becomes a part of who we are and I think most of us are curious about what types of cancer others have and how they're going about their treatment.
-Amy
Precious Lynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-lynn.html

Post by Precious Lynn »

The inclusion of technical details in a book is always a delicate balance for the author. Go too technical and readers might not relate. In this case, I think the author went heavy with the medical technicality but did not over do it. The details are informative without confusing the readers. The medical jargon adds to the quality of the content rather than deduct from it.
the_bibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bibliofile.html
Latest Review: Fouling in Business and College Athletics by Gonzalo Fernandez

Post by the_bibliofile »

As long as the jargons are explained in the sense that the reader can understand it, it's fine. Maybe some more explanations with examples would've been helpful but as someone mentioned above due to the nature of the book, jargons are inevitable.
Anelka Vihenda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Anelka Vihenda »

I think the medical jargon in the book is good. I found it incredibly informative. Also, I got the sense that the author intended to share their medical experience with readers, the technical details made it realistic. I really got the sense and gravity of the authors content.
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Rachael S 1 »

I believe the technical information helped convey the author's point. It was presented in a helpful manner and not used just to make her sound important and impressive as a lot of doctors and researchers tend to do.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I think there is no way for the author to ignore medical jargon when writing about a medical book, even though it might be difficult for the readers to understand about it.
Maha Ata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maha-ata.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Maha Ata »

I think it is very useful and helpful to include all the details as it gives a good understanding of the situation and also educates the reader. The author has presented all the medical jargon in a clear and concise manner and she has written the book in an enjoyable manner so the reader never feels it boring or tiresome.
Samavis89700
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samavis89700.html

Post by Samavis89700 »

There is nothing in this book that your Average Joe couldn’t understand, especially with the help of Google. I don’t think a book about healthcare would feel quite right if it didn’t have at least a little bit of healthcare-related jargon in it. Using the right names for medical conditions adds credibility to the author too.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

I thought the medical information / jargon she included was very appropriate and I appreciated it. If this book is about arming yourself with knowledge about healthcare, there needs to be some specific information, otherwise it will be too "generic" to be useful.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”