Has she been honest about health insurance?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Has she been honest about health insurance?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 12:49 I think it really depends on the country we are talking about. In the book context, I think that having a health insurance service is very important, or even essential since the medical costs are exorbitant if you don't have insurance, in some places you have to pay even for an ambulance. Therefore, I don't think the author trying to market the insurance companies at all, it's something that could save someone's life.
Maybe that is true to US. And as far as I know you should have a health insurance in US to obtain a better healthcare service. So I do not think that the author has either lied about or advertised health insurance companies. But the reader should keep in mind to do their own research about health insurance companies because the systems can be very different from one country to another.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

MBerretta wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 15:22 Three whole chapters devoted to health insurance information seems a little steep. Usually for me, trying to understand intricately detailed things such as insurance would require it be explained in person.
I agree. You cannot get everything related to health insurance from just three chapters. And it is needed to talk with an insurance agent in person to clarify all our doubts as there are many hidden areas in health insurance policies. But I think that this author had attempted to give a basic idea about the health insurances with the experience she had after getting ill, and she was actually benefited by having a health insurance savings account.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

I feel some form of insurance is definitely necessary. The cost of healthcare has the potential to leave one in crippling debt or make one stay away from medical care until it is too late. I limit my visits to the doctor as I do not have private insurance and out of pocket really adds up especially seeing that hospital visits tend to crop up over a short period of time. I feel the benefits of insurance just slightly outweigh the bad and as such, there is some honesty on the author's part.
KELVIN LANGAT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-langat.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by KELVIN LANGAT »

I would say the creator is straightforward in regards to the insurance framework
framework. Numerous individuals have been profited however, there are cases in which individuals go over tricks in numerous spots.
Eric White
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eric-white.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Eric White »

Health insurance can be a very tricky subject to navigate, and the positive or negative aspects of it are largely up to personal experience. Insurance is a fantastic thing in itself, but the issue is that not everyone has it, and even when people do, not all health insurance is created equally.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

I can't say I have witnessed benefits of health insurance or difficulties of lack of one since I'm from a country with free health care. But I can relate with author on having or not having insurance has a huge impact on health costs in some countries around the world. If having an insurance means one's life can be saved then I'd say the trouble is worth going through.
Judy_Jemutai7
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-jemutai7.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Judy_Jemutai7 »

I believe the author wrote the book with the good intention of educating people on the available insurance options. The three whole chapters by Barbara Galutin dedicated to insurance will go a long way in providing options to persons in need of insurance. Other than that, I appreciate her focus on insurance because many times insurance has helped so many to access expensive health care at a cheaper cost as insurance companies cover for them a large percentage of the total cost.
Satwik Mohanty
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: My Living Will
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-satwik-mohanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 6063

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

I think it depends on where you reside. If you live in a country like America, having good life insurance can be the difference between life and death for some people. But if you live in a country where basic healthcare and medicines are free, it won't really matter that much.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

The author was honest about insurance. There were times when I couldn't pay for my hospital Bill's and was out of job for a while. Insurance saved me then.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

I think it depends entirely on WHERE you are whether worries about insurance can be serious. In the US, what insurance you have can make or break an experience. My own personal experience revolves around my grandmother. When she was getting older she began having strokes. Her insurance wasn't worth much and barely covered anything. That left only me and my mother to care for her at home as she got worse and worse, unable to even roll over in bed by herself. With better insurance she could have possibly had better care. That's a big deal to me.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
Ivan Nechaiev
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-nechaiev.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Ivan Nechaiev »

Having health insurance can help you manage your health care needs, as well as costs. Having a health plan encourages you to see your doctor for your annual check-up and other preventive care. This helps identify any health issues early before they become serious. And most health plans provide 100% coverage for certain in-network preventive care. I think it is very important to have it!!!
AnnSea97
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AnnSea97 »

I agree with both sides in that health insurance really comes down to who happens to see your claim and if they do (or don't) want to help you. Some people have GREAT results from health insurance because the people behind the scenes are working hard while other people have to jump through hoops for simple procedures because they had the misfortune of dealing with someone who only wants to do the exact bare minimum and not provide additional information they know and have access to. The type of people, who for example, will just let you go through the main pharmacy automatically listed on your insurance (which tends to be more expensive) rather than divulging quick and well-known information like the app GoodRx (which I was super excited to see mentioned in the book). In that vein, I was disappointed in Surviving HealthCare because I felt it was more of the same that I've already seen from health insurance companies. We were given information we could easily Google such as the top 3 insurance companies and precious little that's not intuitively known. GoodRx is a great example of the author using their powers for good...GoodRx isn't a commonly known service in older communities who don't tend to use apps. I didn't see a lot of that type of information though. I felt that while she did a good job of explaining things that she didn't really give us any insider insight.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

I believe the importance of insurance outweigh the work load of paper works and all of that. My grandmother's life was saved because she had insurance so, I think I support the author on this. She's not trying to just market insurance companies.
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

Health insurance is helpful but doesn't cover what it should. I had great insurance when I was diagnosed with cancer but the copays and deductible would have broken me if it weren't for financial help from family. Healthcare is a business but it shouldn't be run by greed and adding more "insurance" isn't the answer.
-Amy
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

I like that the author dedicated chapters to insurance since most readers will want to know where they can get the best covers. Her experience both as a doctor and cancer patient puts her in a unique position and many patients will relate to her struggle. I think she is honest and doesn't intend to deceive readers.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”