Is it useful only to US residents?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Icon Re: Is it useful only to US residents?

Post by joynob24365 »

I think it can be useful to anyone across the world. The US residents may find it more helpful though because their healthcare sytem is presented here while the other countries' systems are different.
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Parahiyo »

Some aspects in the book apply to other countries. The public healthcare sector in my country is free for some services but they have low standards. The hospitals are understaffed, poorly equipped, and lack sufficient supplies. The private healthcare sector is too expensive without having a good health insurance policy.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

It is more useful for US residents but that does not mean it is entirely useless to residents of other countries. There just might come a time when these people might be in need of such information.
mbhuibregtse
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbhuibregtse.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by mbhuibregtse »

Our healthcare system differs greatly from other countries so I would not suggest this book to someone outside of the US. Further, the doctor's experience is limited to the states.
Jessi_reads
Currently Reading: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessi-reads.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jessi_reads »

I am from Germany and even though the insurance and general aspects of healthcare in America did not apply to me, her opinion about what should be done in the worst case and how to prepare for it was very useful.
Especially the checklist she made in the middle of the book what needs to be taken care of and how to best ensure the wishes of elderly people.
Susan Fay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-fay.html
Latest Review: Finding James by Nancy Blaha

Post by Susan Fay »

Surviving the Business of Health Care does indeed apply to US Healthcare. No other country has the same type of Healthcare as the US, and the issues the author refers to are specific to the US. She is fully aware that many countries have far better medical care and insurance than we do here in the US and she begrudges the way our healthcare is so unfair to the uninsured and poor.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

Although, this book is written in the US healthcare context, it still applies to to the healthcare situations in some other countries too. In my country, healthcare is subsidised by the government but it not easily accessible. Hence, you will need to get health insurance to afford private healthcare.
Kim Jek
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-jek.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kim Jek »

It is clear that US residents will benefit more from this book, and this is understandable. However, as pointed out by others, the details of healthcare shared by the author can also be an invaluable aid to readers from other countries.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

I think most of this book is only relevant to US residents as each country's healthcare system is so different and intricate in how it operates.
Maria_Kubicova
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-kubicova.html
Latest Review: Tales from the Gray Area by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Maria_Kubicova »

Even though the book is on the healthcare system in the United States, I believe everybody may benefit from it. The US healthcare system isn't the only one with flaws.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I think it's mainly relevant for US residents, but some aspects of the book are about how to face illness and these reflections can be applied everywhere
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

It is useful for all as the basic underline remains the same, providing healthcare at a minimal rate. But being from a country where we have both private and government funded healthcare services, it seemed a bit controversial that US citizens have to pay for basic human services and healthcare insurance is not something anyone can afford. So what happens to the one who can’t afford it? As much as I like this book, it also gave the general idea of how healthcare in US has become more a capitalising resource.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Lunastella wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 19:05
Sushan wrote: 31 May 2021, 23:52 The author is a US based doctor and her book is based on US healthcare system. Is this book only useful for US residents or is it applicable universally? What are the controversial or unusual points that you noticed comparatively to your own experience on your healthcare system?

For an example, in my country, each and every citizen is entitled for '100% free of charge' healthcare facilities. There are few lacking areas because everything has to be provided by the government. But there is no need to have a health insurance to get hospitalised or no need to go through a primary healthcare practitioner to reach a speciality. But if anyone wants, there are plenty of options in the private sector as well.
It's the same in my country. We have government healthcare (which is not exactly luxurious or fast) and private physicians and hospitals, which are way too expensive. I don't think the author realizes she writes not only from a US-centric perspective but a privileged one. Even in the US, people who live paycheck to paycheck can't afford a Health Savings Account.
I see. So the author represents a group of a few who are privileged enough to have a Health Savings Account. The rest, and the majority, would have to bare the costs for their healthcare services somehow by their own. So seemingly this cannot be generally applied to whole US either, though it is written based on the US healthcare system.
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Thokchom Alice wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 00:04 I think it's useful not only to US residents but, all around the world. The health care system may vary from country to country but the motive behind this book may be applied to many places.
Though the general pprinciples are same the healthcare systems are different from country to country. So, though any reader can use this book to get a general idea about healthcare system and how nasty the business of healthcare can become, it is doubtful whether all the points are directly applicable in healthcare systems outside USA
Sushan Ekanayake

Mys_Trea wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 01:05 This book doesn't seem to be only relevant to US citizens, which I appreciate. Selecting the right primary care doctor for one's family, for example, is very brave important, and such issues are addressed. There is also free healthcare in my country, but even so, it is best to have access to health insurance if one is able to afford it.
We too have a free healthcare system in our country. But sometimes due to the high demand people have to wait in ques to get treatment for conditions that have to be treated urgently. In such situations it is good if you can afford private healthcare which is quite expensive, and in such a situation having a health insurance will be a great help. But as same as in US it will be a luxury for most of people in my country as well.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”