Pictures at the end or in context?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Pictures at the end or in context?

Post by cd20 »

Dr. Regis includes pages of pictures at the end of the book, with captions explaining the picture. Do you prefer the way she did this, at the end of the book? Or would you prefer the pictures to be in place in the story? For me, I would prefer them to be in the story when she is talking about a particular incident, instead of all lumped together at the end.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I appreciated how it was presented and did not dislike the way it was organized.for me it was like a summary of the book having the pictures and captions at the end. I get distracted when I read so I like the simplicity of being able to read straight thought and having things I need to look at like pictures and such at the end.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I agree with your perspective! I like to look at the pictures or understand the references from a text while I am reading about it. It makes more sense to me.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I found the photos at the end to be a welcomed surprise, and a lovely way to close out the book. I think that since some of them represented the time of the author's illness, it would have been very distracting had they been included with the text.
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 08:38 I appreciated how it was presented and did not dislike the way it was organized.for me it was like a summary of the book having the pictures and captions at the end. I get distracted when I read so I like the simplicity of being able to read straight thought and having things I need to look at like pictures and such at the end.
That's funny, I am the opposite. By the end of the book I don't always remember the specific details and then I no longer care to look at pictures. I think it is great that they are there though, it adds an additional element to the book. Thanks for sharing your opinions.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 09:25 I agree with your perspective! I like to look at the pictures or understand the references from a text while I am reading about it. It makes more sense to me.
Exactly. When they are at the end they don't always make sense to me. I might not remember what they are referring to. Or, in some cases, I am just ready for the book to end so won't even bother to look at them. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Mstrtim wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 12:21 I found the photos at the end to be a welcomed surprise, and a lovely way to close out the book. I think that since some of them represented the time of the author's illness, it would have been very distracting had they been included with the text.
I agree that the pictures at the end were a surprise. I had not really thought about them being distracting, like the ones of her illness. To me, I still prefer them in context because I then understand them better. But, I think it was nice they were included regardless of where they were. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

I would prefer them to be in the story located below or near their respective descriptions so as to provide an appropriate context for the picture that helps readers to understand it better.
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 04:47 I would prefer them to be in the story located below or near their respective descriptions so as to provide an appropriate context for the picture that helps readers to understand it better.
That's what I think too! It is harder for me to picture the event, unless it is right there. By the time I got to the pictures I was ready to be done with the book, and I couldn't remember the author talking about everything pictured. I know it is personal preference, but that is what I prefer. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

Both are okay but in context, it helps one understand the book better. It may depend on your taste. Seeing the pictures at the end was great because it was organized while giving an overview of the book.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

I think pictures should be at the end. One reads the book and should remain focused on the flow. Pictures are a serious distraction that prevent one from following the logic. As such, they need to be put at the end, as an appendix.
Esther11
Favorite Book: The Shining
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther11.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Esther11 »

I agree with you. I also like the pictures in the text while telling the story, that way the emotional grasp on the readers can be stronger.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

joynob24365 wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 19:15 Both are okay but in context, it helps one understand the book better. It may depend on your taste. Seeing the pictures at the end was great because it was organized while giving an overview of the book.
Yeah, it is really one of those things that are personal preferences. Some prefer with text, some after, and some don't care one way or the other. I just prefer them as I am reading. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Dimi1 wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 02:28 I think pictures should be at the end. One reads the book and should remain focused on the flow. Pictures are a serious distraction that prevent one from following the logic. As such, they need to be put at the end, as an appendix.
Hi, thanks for sharing your opinions. I actually prefer them as I am reading, as to me they make more sense in context. I understand that for others it might break the flow of reading, or prove a distraction, but for me, it is just easier. I guess too, it depends on the content of the book.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Esther11 wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 04:08 I agree with you. I also like the pictures in the text while telling the story, that way the emotional grasp on the readers can be stronger.
Yes, plus for more complicated stuff it can help you to understand better. By the time you get to the end of the book (or the middle where some authors do it), you might not remember the specific thing the picture is referring to. For me, I then don't want to go back and figure it out, so I might just skip the pictures altogether. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”