Pictures at the end or in context?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Abisolalawal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abisolalawal.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Re: Pictures at the end or in context?

Post by Abisolalawal »

I agree with you. I prefer if the pictures follow the text so I get the link straight up than all piled up at the end and have me flip back sometimes to connect the dots.
But overall, it's not bad still and you can either flip back to add it up pr just skip it while reading.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

63tty wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 01:24 I would have preferred if the pictures were in context. I think that would have been more appropriate and helped drive all points home. Otherwise going to refer at the end seems tedious.
Those were my thoughts as well. I do not always remember what is happening in a story, especially if it takes several days to get through, so by the time I get to the end and there are pictures, they are pretty meaningless to me. I will either skim them or skip them. I know that's not how it is for everyone, but it is my preference. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I second your thoughts. Pictures speak tones of information, and using it in between the texts could have made them more relatable than placing them towards the end of the book.
cd20
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl

Post by cd20 »

Seroney_ wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 04:40 I second your thoughts. Pictures speak tones of information, and using it in between the texts could have made them more relatable than placing them towards the end of the book.
I agree completely. If it has taken me several days to finish a book, by the time I get to the end I may not remember what the pictures are referring to. I appreciate the author wanting to include them, but personally just prefer them to be in context. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I personally prefer them at the end of the book, but I would have appreciated a footnote referring to the photo's location, so that you could easily consult the picture immediately when interested.
Ruth Naomi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-naomi.html
Latest Review: Peace in the Abyss by Tayo Emmanuel

Post by Ruth Naomi »

Actually, that's the only thing I despised about the book. I'd have preferred, as you said, the pictures to be included at the specific topic of discussion. Pictures at the end made it look somewhat unprofessional and a bit monotonous.
the_invaded_privacy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-invaded-privacy.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by the_invaded_privacy »

As a reader who likes to relate with the reader's imagination, I prefer pictures in the context. I hate it when I realize that the two of us had different images in our heads when initially I was onto something else. Besides, if the ending is somehow upsetting, I wouldn't even bother looking through the images at the end.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

marba wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 16:59 I personally prefer them at the end of the book, but I would have appreciated a footnote referring to the photo's location, so that you could easily consult the picture immediately when interested.
That would have been a great idea too. I would have been okay with that as well, otherwise, I would prefer them to be in context. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Abisolalawal wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 13:47 I agree with you. I prefer if the pictures follow the text so I get the link straight up than all piled up at the end and have me flip back sometimes to connect the dots.
But overall, it's not bad still and you can either flip back to add it up pr just skip it while reading.
While I do prefer them in context, I do think it was nice that the author included them at all. Another reader pointed out that it would have been helpful to have footnotes with them at the end of the book so you could easily flip back to the location. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

Ruth Naomi wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 05:56 Actually, that's the only thing I despised about the book. I'd have preferred, as you said, the pictures to be included at the specific topic of discussion. Pictures at the end made it look somewhat unprofessional and a bit monotonous.
Another reader stated footnotes with the pictures would have helped you to easily refer back to the section of the book that the pictures referred to. I like that idea too. I do appreciate the fact that the author included the pictures. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
cd20

Post by cd20 »

the_invaded_privacy wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 06:38 As a reader who likes to relate with the reader's imagination, I prefer pictures in the context. I hate it when I realize that the two of us had different images in our heads when initially I was onto something else. Besides, if the ending is somehow upsetting, I wouldn't even bother looking through the images at the end.
I do as well. I agree the images can be different than the ones we pictured in our head, and then finding the pictures at the end are annoying. I also agree, if I don't like the ending I will not bother with the pictures. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by riyosha »

Definitely, it makes more sense to have pictures located next to the context. I kinda dislike having to constantly flip back and forth if I'm referring to the picture while reading.
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
cd20

Post by cd20 »

riyosha wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 01:15 Definitely, it makes more sense to have pictures located next to the context. I kinda dislike having to constantly flip back and forth if I'm referring to the picture while reading.
Exactly, and on a Kindle, there is no flipping, it is trying to find the place that the picture is talking about! It is not easy. Plus, if it takes you a while to read the book you don't remember what the picture is referring too anyway. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
JB3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jb3.html
Latest Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Post by JB3 »

I prefer the pictures to be next to the content so that way they are easier to refer to and do not require flipping through a bunch of pages to get to them, or scrolling as the case may be.
Chinecherem A
Currently Reading: Alwyn And June Crawshaw's Outdoor Painting Course
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinecherem-a.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Chinecherem A »

I think it makes more sense to have the pictures placed in context. But having pictures at the end is a welcome surprise too.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”