Memoir vs need-to-know information

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
S P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-p.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Re: Memoir vs need-to-know information

Post by S P »

I think if you're going to write a book that's intended to be instructive to other people, you need to first establish your own reason for having knowledge within that subject. By detailing her personal experiences, she let the readers know exactly how "qualified" she was to tell them about the healthcare industry. It adds more weight to the information she does share, and at the same time it allows readers to learn from her experience instead of just the things she tells them.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author shared information about the long line of physicians in her family. I think she wanted to showcase her knowledge within the healthcare system and all the changes she had witnessed. The photos of her dad's office and the stories about his practice remind us how much our contact with doctors has changed in just one generation. It was interesting that - even with all that history and knowledge - she still hesitated to see a doctor when the spots appeared on her face and arm. She needed her husband's navigation to get her health needs remedied.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

I don't think that adding her background information has in any way prevented the inclusion of important information. I personally enjoyed reading about her history, and it built my trust in her experience as a medical personnel.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

Putting helpful information, as with healthcare, in the context of personal experience, provides a realistic foundation to the advice offered by the author. I thought that she provided exceptional service to her readers by including her personal story. In this way, the author doesn't come across simply as a talking head, but as someone with the type of experience to support her recommendations.
Nancy Morara
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy-morara.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Nancy Morara »

Kiran Kanwar wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 02:32 When somebody provides information about something, readers want to know that from what experience/authority is the person giving this information and if this information is trustworthy. So, the memoir parts are necessary. But at the same time, there should be a balance between the author's own experiences and actual information. Otherwise, the purpose of the book is defeated.
I agree with this. The author blended well her personal experience with the actual information giving the readers a better view of her concept.
Ousebian Nicholas
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ousebian-nicholas.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Ousebian Nicholas »

Namitha Iyer wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 23:04 Given that the first several chapters talk about the author's personal experiences within healthcare and her struggles with the same, do you think that this foundation was necessary to build her arguments surrounding other topics later on in the book? Or do you believe that in the process of penning down her own experiences, other important information that could have been provided to the reader was lost?
I think when someone write a story, they build their story based on personal experiences whether their own or someone else's. I don't think there is any information lost in the course of the author penning down her personal experiences.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I find that I take advice more readily when it is dished out by somebody who has personal experience on the matter. I therefore feel that her background is an important part of the topics covered in this book.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Shreya Mishra 3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreya-mishra-3.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Shreya Mishra 3 »

I think author's personal experience helps you understand the situations much better and it made the book interesting . And that is why I think the foundation was nccessary.
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

I think her background and personal experience were important to the book. Readers need to know that she is speaking with authority on the subject because she has lived it herself. I felt she had a good balance between her own personal experiences and the need-to-know information that she presented.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

The memoirs were very necessary. They act as premises, giving the reader a comprehensive idea of the author's experience. This makes the write up complete.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I found that her backstory helped me absorb the information in the book better. The author is someone who has seen others struggle with their healthcare needs, and was then thrown into a similar situation. The backstory gave her strong credibility, in my opinion.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

I believe it served two purposes. Although a memoir, drawing from her experience is informative. Knowing the authors history helps readers to also be able to relate and derive the best meanings.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Emily_Jen wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 13:38 I think it is important to know where the author is coming from. Only then would you be able to see things from their perspective. As a result, I think the foundation was necessary to build her arguments surrounding other topics later on in the book.
I agree. Especially when it comes to such complicated topics. The more we know about the source the more it builds credibility. Otherwise, it will be hefty to keep checking if the information is correct or not.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
BellaGBear
Currently Reading: Ethnography after Humanism
Bookshelf Size: 1567
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellagbear.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by BellaGBear »

I think including the background of the author also helps to make the book more compelling. Even if it's only meant to be instructive and not a story! Little bits of personal insight always helps to keep me reading, even in non-fiction. And also it shows the background the author is writing from. Which can be very important to put in context the arguments she makes
Ana C Barrantes
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-c-barrantes.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Ana C Barrantes »

I think there is a great balance between the author sharing her personal experiences and also adding important details that could help people interested in the book.

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”