Memoir vs need-to-know information

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Re: Memoir vs need-to-know information

Post by Wash William »

The book comes in two forms. But for me the memoir gave the to-know-information a sense for seriousness and reality. From her experience I was able to understand the roles of some medical units.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

Kiran Kanwar wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 02:32 When somebody provides information about something, readers want to know that from what experience/authority is the person giving this information and if this information is trustworthy. So, the memoir parts are necessary. But at the same time, there should be a balance between the author's own experiences and actual information. Otherwise, the purpose of the book is defeated.
Good point
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

I liked reading about her backstory. It improved the book's interest level and clarity for me. She gained valuable life lessons from seeing her parents, which shaped who she was in her career. Experience is one of the best teachers for lessons that are crucial to learn.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

The expression of the author's background Is the one I value the most. She was an example of the benefits of her decision-making described in the novel. An example is how insurance saved her family from financial bankruptcy.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Proof Readar »

The brief information and experience as a healthcare giver at the begining of the book provide the proof or authenticity to the theme of the book, which health information. It makes us believe that the information is from the competent mouth.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

Personally, I believe in listening to people’s experiences. That way, the readers could build relate or not. She was able to write this article because she has witnessed it happen and that made it enough motivation to start this booo.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

Namitha Iyer wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 23:04 Given that the first several chapters talk about the author's personal experiences within healthcare and her struggles with the same, do you think that this foundation was necessary to build her arguments surrounding other topics later on in the book? Or do you believe that in the process of penning down her own experiences, other important information that could have been provided to the reader was lost?
I wouldn't say that information necessary to the reader is lost in the process of narrating her past experiences in the healthcare sector. The author provided the necessary information for the reader in the novel.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

In the process of penning down her experiences, we the readers are also learning from it. It made the book sound less monotonous and the flow was easy to follow.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

No I don't agree with you, her background story was needed and I like how she combined both.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

It felt more like a memoir to me that had imports information for readers. This is because the author wrote from her experiences.
Odindi Omo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odindi-omo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Odindi Omo »

I think her sharing her personal experiences was a very important move. It was a good background for every other thing that came later in the book. It made me trust her advices and information more because I've read her experiences first had. I think she writing her experiences in the beginning of the book made it more significant.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

I think it's crucial to understand the author's perspective. You wouldn't be able to understand things from their point of view till then. I believe the groundwork was essential in order to support her points later on in the book regarding other subjects.
Goody book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goody-book.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Goody book »

I think experience is the best teacher. Indeed the author is an experienced doctor who from her years of expertise used her insights
to break down the plot.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

No, I believe the balance was well maintained. The experiences penned down by the author were necessary to understand the kind of unhealthy changes she was talking about. Contemporary information today is easily available on the internet.
Roderick Voss
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

Both because it discusses actual events from real people's lives and because it provides details on the healthcare system

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”