Memoir vs need-to-know information

Use this forum to discuss the May 2021 Book of the month, "Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Namitha Iyer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namitha-iyer.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Memoir vs need-to-know information

Post by Namitha Iyer »

Given that the first several chapters talk about the author's personal experiences within healthcare and her struggles with the same, do you think that this foundation was necessary to build her arguments surrounding other topics later on in the book? Or do you believe that in the process of penning down her own experiences, other important information that could have been provided to the reader was lost?
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

When somebody provides information about something, readers want to know that from what experience/authority is the person giving this information and if this information is trustworthy. So, the memoir parts are necessary. But at the same time, there should be a balance between the author's own experiences and actual information. Otherwise, the purpose of the book is defeated.
Danelle Cale
Currently Reading: The Rancher's Widowed Bride
Bookshelf Size: 3515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danelle-cale.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Danelle Cale »

I enjoyed reading her backstory. It made the book more interesting for me. She learned much from observing her parents, which influenced who she was in her professional life. Some of the most important lessons a person learns are through experience.
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

Whenever we read any piece of information, the first thing we look for is the source of information. In this book, the author is a medical practitioner, she has shared her experience as a patient and a doctor. I have loved the way she has presented the story. The content is absolutely related to the topic she has chosen. I am sure her knowledge of the subject must be much higher than what has been described in the novel.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

I think it is important to know where the author is coming from. Only then would you be able to see things from their perspective. As a result, I think the foundation was necessary to build her arguments surrounding other topics later on in the book.
Joseph Dunn
Currently Reading: The Paris mysteries
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-dunn.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Joseph Dunn »

I felt that the author's personal perspective provided context for her suggestions and assertions. Her background is added validation for the "unique perspective" she mentions in the book's subtitle: she was an insider before she ever began working in the medical field.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

I think that the author did a right thing with her story. She connected her illness and problems with today's healthcare and insurace. I like that comparison.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

One of my favorite aspects of this book is that it educates and helps the reader to relate to the author's story simultaneously. The book is more of an information source than a memoir, and I think the memoir part helps the reader to understand that the author is an insider in healthcare and corroborates the solutions she offers.
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Parahiyo »

When I realized that the book was written by a doctor, I was surprised. The author gave necessary insights into the healthcare system. I still believe that the healthcare system is complicated. It could use some improvements.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I value the background of the authors when it comes to talking about the field of their career.
Her memoir helps the readers understand her situation, and it adds to the credibility of her writing.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

The author likely intended on using her personal experiences as a foundation to build the story, and I found that, at times, she seemed to be using her experience to toot her own horn. I definitely think had the author omitted her personal overtures, the meat of the story would still have been just as hard-hitting.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

I believe one of the best ways to convince readers is to show them you have also experienced what you speak of. So, I do agree with the author on this one. The description of her experiences brings her closer to her readers.
Sara chhawniwala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-chhawniwala.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Sara chhawniwala »

The source of the information is the most important for any argument to hold creaditibility.
What can be a better way than stating ones own experience to support the agruments made?
The author providing her own experience helped to provide a practical use of the argument made in the book.
Hence, the reader did not lose rather gained some practical knowledge which would otherwise have not been possible.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I agree with the author's decision to include personal experience along with knowledge. Understanding what regular people have to face day-to-day comes only through experience. And also, it adds a compassionate personal tone. Just like experienced family members' advice. It helps to connect to the reader at a deep level, suggesting I know what you feel. Some people find it hard to stick with a dry book, however useful the information might be. So, this is a win-win situation.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I think knowing the author's backstory and experiences makes her relatable and only enhances the other information given. Knowing what she has gone through and experienced gives her readers confidence in what she has written. It also makes the book less 'dry' and more readable.
Books are my self-medication. 8)

Return to “Discuss "Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C”