Sci-Fi/Dystopian Book Discussion 2021

For June 2021, we'll be reading science fiction/dystopian books.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Sci-Fi/Dystopian Book Discussion 2021

Post by Heidi M Simone »

This month will be reading books within the genres of science fiction and/or dystopian. I haven't read a dystopian novel for a while, so I'm very excited to find a good one to read!
  • Science Fiction can be thought of as, "a genre of speculative fiction, typically dealing with imaginative concepts such as advanced science and technology, spaceflight, time travel, and extraterrestrial life."
  • Dystopian is a genre that explores social and/or political practices. The following could be included in this genre: "mass poverty, public mistrust and suspicion, a police state or oppression."
Here are some points to drive discussion:
- Share the title and author.
- Would you say the book you read was more science fiction or dystopian? How can you tell?
- Were there other genres woven into the text? If so, which one(s)?
- Targeted audience?
- Recommendation?

As always, let's have a great month of reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read a few weeks ago the Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. It revolves around an astronaut on a mission to save Earth from disaster.

It belongs strictly to the science fiction genre as it is based on real science, takes place in space, and it even has aliens! A great combination! I have read all the books by Andy Weir and loved them.

I enjoyed the book and rated it 3/4 stars. The writing, characterization, plot, and humor were great. I distracted a point, as it has a few slow sections. Also, it has too many lengthy scientific explanations which were tiring at times. Still, I loved the book and recommend it to all lovers of science fiction books.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

I just finished reading Zona: The Forbidden Land by: Fred G. Baker and it is science fiction/ fantasy.
It is in both categories because there was the science but also fantasy as there is just some things that wouldn’t be possible.
I would recommend this to everyone as it was a very interesting book as I rated it 4/4stars.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 10:25 I have read a few weeks ago the Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. It revolves around an astronaut on a mission to save Earth from disaster.

It belongs strictly to the science fiction genre as it is based on real science, takes place in space, and it even has aliens! A great combination! I have read all the books by Andy Weir and loved them.

I enjoyed the book and rated it 3/4 stars. The writing, characterization, plot, and humor were great. I distracted a point, as it has a few slow sections. Also, it has too many lengthy scientific explanations which were tiring at times. Still, I loved the book and recommend it to all lovers of science fiction books.
I've always wanted to give Any Weir a whirl, but I'm not a huge science fiction only type of fan...I did watch The Martian and really liked it. Have read or seen that one? Would you say it's similar to Hail Mary?

Glad you liked it!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Amanda Dobson wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 07:23 I just finished reading Zona: The Forbidden Land by: Fred G. Baker and it is science fiction/ fantasy.
It is in both categories because there was the science but also fantasy as there is just some things that wouldn’t be possible.
I would recommend this to everyone as it was a very interesting book as I rated it 4/4stars.
I haven't heard of that one, but I'm glad you liked it!
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 09:35
gali wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 10:25 I have read a few weeks ago the Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. It revolves around an astronaut on a mission to save Earth from disaster.

I've always wanted to give Any Weir a whirl, but I'm not a huge science fiction only type of fan...I did watch The Martian and really liked it. Have read or seen that one? Would you say it's similar to Hail Mary?

Glad you liked it!
I have read The Martian and loved it! It got 4/4 stars from me. If you didn't read any of his books, I suggest starting with it. Hail Mary is a bit similar, but there are a few differences.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I recently read the first two books in the The Selection series and have really enjoyed it! I'm on the third one and definitely like it better than the second.

The series is Dystopian romance where what used to be America is now ruled by a king and queen, and definitely is need of new power. Some of the back-and-forth romance can be tedious to read, but everything else is well-paced for me. I'm excited to see how the third book ends and what is up next in this series!

I would give the series, so far, an overall 3/4 stars, and I feel young adults who like to have young romance in their stories will enjoy this one!
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 09:41 I recently read the first two books in the The Selection series and have really enjoyed it! I'm on the third one and definitely like it better than the second.

The series is Dystopian romance where what used to be America is now ruled by a king and queen, and definitely is need of new power. Some of the back-and-forth romance can be tedious to read, but everything else is well-paced for me. I'm excited to see how the third book ends and what is up next in this series!

I would give the series, so far, an overall 3/4 stars, and I feel young adults who like to have young romance in their stories will enjoy this one!
I have read the series and enjoyed it as well. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

@hsimone What genre will we read in July?
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 23:17 @hsimone What genre will we read in July?
How about we do a free choice read for both July and August (for the summer), and then we'll go back to voting for September? I'll set a reminder to get a poll ready for mid-late August :handgestures-thumbup:
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 09:30
How about we do a free choice read for both July and August (for the summer), and then we'll go back to voting for September? I'll set a reminder to get a poll ready for mid-late August :handgestures-thumbup:
Great idea! I will open the forum. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 09:31
Sounds good, thanks! :)
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 09:36

Do you want each month separate or shall I open one forum for both months?
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 09:43

I think one forum for both months would be good.
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 09:46
gali wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 09:43

I think one forum for both months would be good.
Cool! I opened the forum. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “June 2021 Genre Discussion”