Do you think Gary should plead guilty in court?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Re: Do you think Gary should plead guilty in court?

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

This is a tough one for sure. I mean, he could plead guilty and save Michelle's family from the pain but on the other hand, they both want answers. To not plead gulty would allow them both, Gary and Michelle's parents, to find the answers they badly need, and closure too. Besides, isn't it better to die fighting rather than standing?
Sara chhawniwala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-chhawniwala.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Sara chhawniwala »

I believe Gary should be punished. Whether he remembers committing the crime or not; the crime was indeed committed by him. Lives were lost and the cause for that should definitely be punished.
Mimi Kenneth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimi-kenneth.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Mimi Kenneth »

I think he should plead guilty, he might not remember what he did but he still committed the murder. It's just like one making a mistake unintentionally, yes it isn't your intention to make the mistake still it's your responsibility to correct the mistake or suffer the consequence of it.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-bookowski.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 14:45 Pleading guilty will not help him since he actually didn't commit the murder. Even form the legal point of view there is no reason to do that. As we have seen, there is always a chance that he might convince the jury.
I see what you mean, but your statement does not seem correct. He actually did commit the murder. It's the other thing he does not remember it or that it was not his intention. Obviously, it was not his fault - but the paradox of the story is so that it also was - as all the Garys from the whole story are not apart beings - it is the very same person, just living all the possible versions of his life.
And there is a reason to plead guilty if you committed a murder. And again, the paradox is that there's just the same chance he might convince the jury as not - because, according to the discussed theory - ALL the possible outcomes must happen.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Shillah A wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 23:57 I think Gary should not plead guilty in court. The events of the day Mitchell died are not known to him. Gary loved Mitchell and he only killed her because Gary from the other worldline acted while lucid dreaming.
Yes, he doesn't remember what he did and he certainly didn't want to do that. But the Gary from the other worldline is also the same Gary that this one - they're not different people; just this one chose to do something the other one would never do, and the other one had to bear the consequences. I also don't feel that he should be punished for it, though.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Mimi Kenneth wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 03:44 I think he should plead guilty, he might not remember what he did but he still committed the murder. It's just like one making a mistake unintentionally, yes it isn't your intention to make the mistake still it's your responsibility to correct the mistake or suffer the consequence of it.
Thank you, I'm very glad to hear a different opinion finally. I think the appropriate example is when you are drunk and you cause a car accident where innocent people die. You don't even remember sitting behind the wheel. You certainly didn't mean harm. But it did happen. So you must pay for it.
But of course, this is the paradox of the book and that's why it's so interesting: everyone feels that this poor Gary was not guilty of the crime as he didn't make a decision to kill.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Neenu B_S wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 01:08 I don't think Gary should plead guilty because he was innocent. How can a person who didn't commit a crime, confess it? By doing so he affirms to be a criminal, which he is not, and he is killing his own conscience.
I get your point, but he did commit a crime, although unconsciously. I'd say he did it, but it doesn't mean he's guilty of it. And this excluding the understanding that the version of Gary who did lucid dream and the version of Gary who fell victim to the other one, is paradoxically the same person.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

scaryeyes_25 wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 01:18 Pleading guilty or not guilty depends on what he wants to give importance. Pleading guilty will give Michelle's family closure. Because physically he did kill Michelle. The not guilty plea and proving that he is not in complete control of his mind and body during that specific time can acquit him. But can it give him closure and peace of mind? Knowing that a version of himself is guilty.
So I think even if it is unfair, it is right for him to plead guilty.
This is very thoughtful. The paradox is really difficult here. I think maybe there should exist some separation between committing a crime and being guilty, even though it might sound crazy. Because, as you say, he did it. But he was not aware of it. It's easy to imagine how awful he must felt about it, it's so heart-breaking. Maybe he should plead guilty but be cleared of responsibility? It's enough pain for him and everyone around.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Victor Kilyungi wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 01:20 This is a tough one for sure. I mean, he could plead guilty and save Michelle's family from the pain but on the other hand, they both want answers. To not plead gulty would allow them both, Gary and Michelle's parents, to find the answers they badly need, and closure too. Besides, isn't it better to die fighting rather than standing?
Yes, this is so difficult. I keep thinking about it. It's hard to say he didn't do that because he did, but he was not conscious of it, thus he's not guilty. I have no idea what would I do on his place!
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Sara chhawniwala wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 01:55 I believe Gary should be punished. Whether he remembers committing the crime or not; the crime was indeed committed by him. Lives were lost and the cause for that should definitely be punished.
I think it's a similar situation like when you commit a crime while being drunk and not remembering it (ok, it's your fault you were drunk, but you did not intend to harm anyone). Besides, every Gary from every worldline, is in fact exactly the same person, just going along different possible scenarios.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Mimi Kenneth wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 03:44 I think he should plead guilty, he might not remember what he did but he still committed the murder. It's just like one making a mistake unintentionally, yes it isn't your intention to make the mistake still it's your responsibility to correct the mistake or suffer the consequence of it.
This is very true, although so sad when to think about it. He didn't want to, he was not aware of it, but it did happen to him, and there's plenty of evidence he did it. Also, we can say that he did it to himself, as the other Gary is actually the same person, just with a different life scenario.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

As long as Gary didn’t make the conscious decision to kill someone or mistakenly kill anyone in a conscious state I don’t think he should plead guilty. But if he feels so guilty and he thinks that receiving some sort of punishment is a kind of reparation and would soothe his conscience then it would be better to plead guilty.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

I think Gary should plead guilty in court. Despite being innocent, if his defense is accepted, then that gives killers a platform to murder and use that defense in the future. Once that defense is accepted, people will take advantage of it.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

I think he should be pleading not guilty. Because when the murder took place he was not in a right frame of mind. If he was then the murder would not have taken place. By pleading not guilty he is leaving it to the jury to determine if he is guilty and how he should be sentenced based on how the events took place. Intention is a big part of the equation in this case.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Michaeljerry309 wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 13:10 As long as Gary didn’t make the conscious decision to kill someone or mistakenly kill anyone in a conscious state I don’t think he should plead guilty. But if he feels so guilty and he thinks that receiving some sort of punishment is a kind of reparation and would soothe his conscience then it would be better to plead guilty.
Yes, this is a tough one, isn't it. I also wonder what would I do myself in his spot. I can imagine I would be so confused, I might plead guilty after seeing myself on the video camera. But on the other hand, it's like admitting that it was your fault, while it's rather debatable. I find this subject really interesting!

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”