Is Garry a good person?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Re: Is Garry a good person?

Post by yomide »

Gary been good or bad depends on your point of view. Going back few paces before the stabbing, did he actually intend to stab her? No is the answer. He just wanted to hurt her. To answer whether or not Gary is a good person; i think he is, generally, he is.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I think so, we all once in our life hates someone way to much. As Gary has only fantasize about killing Michelle, and this thing don't make Gray bad person. Each day we all change, some days our behaviour is good and some days our behaviour is bad towards others.
Hunter Tester
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-tester.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Hunter Tester »

I was confused on whether the dream state fantasized about this or if it was in his awake state. So it’s hard for me to answer. Based on most of the book, I would say that he is a good person.
fridamadrid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fridamadrid.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by fridamadrid »

I don't think people are just good or bad. I think we all have a mix of both goodness and badness inside of us. However, I feel like intention is what really matters, sometimes even more than how the things we actually do turn out, and I don't think wanting to kill someone ever comes from a good place. Of course sometimes we don't want those who hurt us the be the happiest and most successful, but it is certainly not the same as actively imagine ourselves murdering that person.
yomide

Post by yomide »

DyanaFl wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 11:58 I think there will be a difference in people's personalities in different worldlines, no matter how subtle. Their traits are largely influenced by their circumstances, and Gary from the Black line was a straight up selfish piece of crap. Even fantasizing about killing someone repeatedly does not sound like harmless intrusive thoughts to me, but an insistent dark hatred. However, the other Gary-s were different, or so I would like to believe. Whether they had that potential in them or not, if it doesn't come out significantly, judging them 'bad' would be unfair. Just my opinion.
Hmmm, you change my prespective. Indeed the Gary of black line isnt of an entirely decent personality. I would say the incident from his teenage days really got to him.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
KELVIN LANGAT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-langat.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by KELVIN LANGAT »

Yes, Gary is a good person because of love. He has been into romantic relationships severally and you cannot be loved in different worlds if you are bad.
yomide

Post by yomide »

The more i think about it, the more i think this is a complicated question. There is a thin line between good and bad. For Gary to be a person, the observer only has to see him as good and justified. Gary being good or bad is just an opinion and it varies by point of view.
Vidhi Adhikari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

I think Gary is a good person, in every worldline. If we talk about Gary from the black line, he's just someone who became bitter because of his trauma. But I don't think it made him vindictive, just cynical. His cynicism made him dream about killing Michelle, but he would never have actually done it.
yomide

Post by yomide »

:)
Elendu Ekechukwu wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 07:47 I still consider Gary a good person. I wouldn't say just because he imagined or fantasized about killing Michelle he is now a bad person. In our mind no matter how good we still have evil thoughts .
Indeed we all do. I mean who doesn't some times imagine brutally hurting someone who did wrong to you? Generally, Gary of black line seems broken. He is also sensitive and truth be told, he didnt start lucid dreaming in other to kill Michelle in his mind. He just wanted her hurt. Bad.
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

Thoughts one gets in life such as "steal that" or "kill him", aren't actually us. These are called intrusive thoughts. The difference between a good and bad person is the good person doesn't listen to these thoughts. However, you could tell this wasn't simply a fleeting thought, and Gary actually dwelled on the thought of killing Michelle. Therefore, I would say Gary isn't a "good" person, but he could have been far worse.
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

This is just a fantasy, and our minds are capable of fantasising about many scary or horrible things. I don't think we should consider him a bad person only because of a fantasy he had. Yet, deciding if a person is 'good' or 'bad' is quite subjective and a vague concept.
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
yomide

Post by yomide »

Taking a generalized look at Gary (black line), he is the same as the other Garys. The only difference is that black line Gary is the traumatized version of the others. Technically, there are the same person. Just that one was unlucky to have been hit. That doesn't change the fact that he I still Gary, and Gary is a good guy.
the_ashfeathers
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ashfeathers.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by the_ashfeathers »

Imagining to kill someone is not the same as doing it. I wouldn't call Black Line Gary as 'good' but won't as even 'absolutely evil'. People can never be classified as merely good or bad though, they have their moments.
"Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck." ~ Will Herondale (Cassandra Clare)
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

He is not a bad person although his thoughts are disturbing. In the end, they were just thoughts. Nothing is clear really but he's not the best person either.
yomide

Post by yomide »

Hunter_T wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 12:20 I was confused on whether the dream state fantasized about this or if it was in his awake state. So it’s hard for me to answer. Based on most of the book, I would say that he is a good person.
Thinking in your prespective, its kinda confusing. Before he started dreaming, he just wanted to hurt her. It was his darkest fantasy. Now in his dream state, in theory (at least one of them), dreams are an extension of our fantasies, memories, and like in this story, a path to another worldline. In short, i would say the supposedly unintentiona but deliberate stabbing came from his darkest fantasies and fuelled by his lucid dream state.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”