Is death the only thing guaranteed in our lives?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Re: Is death the only thing guaranteed in our lives?

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

I’d start by saying that the statement isn’t something people say, or at least it’s my first time hearing it. However, it is a very accurate statement because everything else has a 50/50 of happening until it happens and the only thing that’s guaranteed is that as long as you are alive, you will die. I’m one of those people who believe that everything in life is just a distraction from the fact that you will die eventually. I think that to some extent, considering the nature of some of the characters, it was relevant to the overall message the author was trying to pass to his readers.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Amanda Dobson wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 07:46 I don’t think people actually say things like that. But is something that is true. I don’t personally think along those lines if we are here and then die, but prefer to think that I am living my life’s journey wherever that may be. I think it is relevant because of the way the characters lives were and it added depth to the overall story.
The sentence gives a good start to the book making the reader curios. I too think that many people do not say about or think about death much often. But I think we all can agree with one quality of death, and that is its certainty.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Death is certainly the final destination to everyone’s well being, however, it is not the ONLY thing in peoples lives that is guaranteed. So yes I think it is a guarantee but not the sole one in our expectations in life. I don’t think this had a lot of relevance to this novel.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

Yes, I think people believe that "death is the only thing in life that is guaranteed". But the statement assumes one death and one life, the story opens up the possibility of many lives and therefore many deaths? In a world of multi-universes, is there a first life that splits off into many? The questions surrounding this subject are myriad and fascinating. I think the statement is enormously relevant.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

Even though the author doesn't agree with that fact but I have been alive for so long and seen many people die when the time is due or sometimes prematurely. But am very certain is the only thing everyone will ever face.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Amanda Dobson wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 07:46 I don’t think people actually say things like that. But is something that is true. I don’t personally think along those lines if we are here and then die, but prefer to think that I am living my life’s journey wherever that may be. I think it is relevant because of the way the characters lives were and it added depth to the overall story.
Usually people do not think of death when they enjoy life. And I think there is no use in thinking about death and being sad since it is an inevitable destination that we all have to face. Yes, this sentence gives some deep sense to the story, but I do not see any real relevance of it to the story.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

The whole idea of so called quantum immortality is very engaging. It's even philosophical, I would say :) I learned about it from this book, and I'm very grateful to the author for this. But, yes, people use to say that death is the only thing that's guaranteed. The author tried to show that human consciousness can travel from one universe to other, thus being immortal.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

The story actually hints at a phenomenon called quantum immortality, which means that we are actually immortal ourselves, but only appear to die in view of the people that surround us. We just carry on living in our own immortal 'worldline'. This is actually something that intrigues me a lot.
Sushan Ekanayake

63tty wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 09:47 I don't think this was relevant to the author's story. But it is a quote that is factual, in that we all die in the end. I don't think like that and I also don't believe people think like that.
Yes, it is a fact. Everyone will die some day. And I do not think that the author has included this sentence without any connection to the story. There are many occasions that death becomes a subject of discussion (apart from the murder incident). Probably the author wanted to make the reader ready to accept what is going to come next in the book.
Sushan Ekanayake

DyanaFl wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 12:12 Yes, people do say that. How many of them believe that to be a driving principle, I do not know. While it's factually true, I wouldn't say it applies to 'LIFE' as humans. Different things are guaranteed to individuals, and using that statement with a negative approach just dampens everything.
As far as the relevance of this statement to this story is concerned, it is relevant in accidents or premature deaths. So it was relevant to a large extent in this story. However, in the end, life will be extinguished some time or another, whether it is merely due to aging or disease (not trying to be a downer). So life for infinity does not seem real.
Though it is a fact and a guaranteed thing, repetitive thinking over death can make a person depressed. If you go to the extreme, ultimately what is the use of what we do since we all die. So, seemingly many do not think as the author has mentioned, and it is apparent with the things that people do with their lives and also to survive.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

Death is guaranteed; everyone knows it. Rather than people say it exactly like that, they say it differently, the way they believe it to be. Well, I will not say that death is the only thing guaranteed in life. There are many other things guaranteed in life for every person.
It could be relevant to the story; it could be not. Overall, it depends on the reader. However, the statement does give depth and uniqueness to the context.
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

From my understanding, the phrase "people say so" is used to set the stage for what follows with the multiverse theory. The author argues the opposite. I try to remind myself that death is not the only thing guaranteed, so is life with its infinite possibilities.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

Of course some people think like that. I do think it's important to think about death as something inevitable and try to take away some of the fear factor of it by coming to terms with it. But certainly fixating on only death is an unhealthy and nihilistic way to live, nothing in life is guaranteed exactly but whatever does happen makes all the difference. I think it's very relevant to the story because in order to portray the other side of the coin, you have to consider the alternative first to put everything in context
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I don't think it was relevant to the story, but I agree that death is the only thing that is guaranteed. But I believe that only means the death of these bodies we are dwelling in, not death of the soul. I have never heard anyone say that quote before, but I have heard the statement "The only things we have to do is pay taxes and die!"
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Sasha_100
Favorite Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Currently Reading: City of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasha-100.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere
fav_author_id: 2502

Post by Sasha_100 »

When you regard things from the perspective of Worldlines' inner workings then maybe not. But realistically I do think that death is the only guaranteed thing in our lives.

Anyone can live their lives however they want but we all will die someday.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”