Is death the only thing guaranteed in our lives?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: Is death the only thing guaranteed in our lives?

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Well, it certainly isn't something that one hears on a daily basis. However it is true, and it is a concept that's so deeply rooted in the colective consciousness that I don't think it is necessary to say it anymore. We can't escape death, and it is well known. Is it the only thing that we can take for granted? Well, I am not sure. I wouldn't say so. But I can see where the author was coming from when he wrote it.
blackjack1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackjack1.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Reading Device: duokan

Post by blackjack1 »

I don't think anything except death is guaranteed in life. I don't think the statement is relevant to the story at all.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Chetna_Kharbanda
Currently Reading: Unsound
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chetna-123.html
Latest Review: "Are You a N****r or a Doctor?" by Otto E. Stallworth Jr. MD MBA

Post by Chetna_Kharbanda »

The storyline doesn't fully agree with the statement. But yes, I do agree that death is the only thing that is guaranteed in life. People usually say so because this is the world of mortals and whatever that is born must die someday. Nevertheless, it would be more satisfying if we concentrate on living life than thinking about dying alone.
eggnog
Currently Reading: The Art of Rhetoric
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by eggnog »

When you're in an Asian household, most of the time, parents would say that to you in order for you to work hard to live (at least in my experience). Yes, I do believe that death is the only thing guaranteed in life. Whatever happens between life and death would be consequences of actions; no more, no less.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

Life and death is guaranteed. These are the two things we can't change in our lives. The statement in relevant due to Garry accident. It shows that life and death are the only things that is inevitable.
Peace Chux
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-chux.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Peace Chux »

I think death is guaranteed, but it's not the only thing that's guaranteed in life. People say death is the only thing that's guaranteed mostly to reiterate the unpredictability of life, and the equality of man. I feel it's relevance to the story is very questionable, and the book could do without it, but it sort of formed an anchor or base to Gary's near death experience.
angelap5467
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelap5467.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by angelap5467 »

It depends on what you decide to focus on. Yeah, death is guaranteed but also is life. You have to live in order to die, so the two of them balance and neutralize each other in some way. You will either have both or none. The thought about guaranteed death in the book is more of a romanticized way of living forever, and metaphor may be that you live through your actions and creations eternaly.
Ana C Barrantes
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-c-barrantes.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Ana C Barrantes »

Yes, people do say that; I have heard it multiple times before. However, I do not believe it is true. I believe we are guaranteed free will as well, for example, control over our own actions and our perception of life. This is relevant to the story due to the concept of infinite universes. If you die in all universes but never at the same time, then death is actually the one thing not guaranteed.
Muskan Upadhyaya
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-upadhyaya.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Muskan Upadhyaya »

People say things like that and in my opinion definitely the death is guranteed, as it is the inevitable reality of life.
As far as your second question is concerned, then I think that this statement has been proved to be true in some premature deaths, so yeah it is relevant to the story.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Wesley Friday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-friday.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Wesley Friday »

Nathaniel Owolabi wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 04:34 Well, I do not think people say that, since this is the first time I have read this. To answer your second question, I do agree that death is guaranteed in life but I do not think it is the only thing guaranteed, I think life is also guaranteed for before you die you have to live. I do think it is rather relevant to prove his point,
Nice response on the second part about life being guaranteed first. But what kind of life are we guaranteed? Quality comes into question here. The philosopher's question of "did he really live?" comes to play here. Would you in the positive sense say that Gary in the black line was guaranteed life when in fact he has been living a halved life since his adolescence and now faces the hangman's noose for murder?
Sure, life in the simplest sense of being born is guaranteed. But I think our mortality makes death guaranteed. On the other hand, if you do not like the cards you were dealt with in life and are not able to elevate yourself then you probably never lived. Just another NPC who could not revel in their own story.
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

I've heard several times people saying this. even with another statement that meant the same as 'death is the only thing that is guaranteed'. It is usually said in order to create a feeling at a particular scenario. But for me, I don't always believe that death is the only thing that is guaranteed, as I do notice some other elements of life proven guaranteed to occur. As for the other question, I can't find where this statement is really link with the story in this book.
Signature of Grace.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

Wesley Friday wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 16:06
Nathaniel Owolabi wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 04:34 Well, I do not think people say that, since this is the first time I have read this. To answer your second question, I do agree that death is guaranteed in life but I do not think it is the only thing guaranteed, I think life is also guaranteed for before you die you have to live. I do think it is rather relevant to prove his point,
Nice response on the second part about life being guaranteed first. But what kind of life are we guaranteed? Quality comes into question here. The philosopher's question of "did he really live?" comes to play here. Would you in the positive sense say that Gary in the black line was guaranteed life when in fact he has been living a halved life since his adolescence and now faces the hangman's noose for murder?
Sure, life in the simplest sense of being born is guaranteed. But I think our mortality makes death guaranteed. On the other hand, if you do not like the cards you were dealt with in life and are not able to elevate yourself then you probably never lived. Just another NPC who could not revel in their own story.
Not necessarily true. I believe the human mind is so powerful that you can completely control your life. The human emotion is only made up of hormones, you could retrain your brain. You could be in pain and not feel pain at all because you have complete control over your body response. You can be sad and convince yourself to be happy, you could even be facing death penalty and be the happiest man alive. You are in control of your mind and how you feel. That's one thing people use religion to do, and it effective for some.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I have never heard anyone say this before. I agree death is inevitable, but i do not think it is the only thing that is guaranteed in our lives.
Book Dragoness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-dragoness.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by Book Dragoness »

People say that slot, but I don't believe that deaths is the only guaranteed thing in life. Yes, everybody will die one day, but a lot more is guaranteed while we live. For example, smiling, love, desire, hope, etc. are all guaranteed too.

Well, the statement is relevant to the story because there was obviously a murder in the story. Whilst death is guaranteed and the deceased saw this to be true, I must say that she died way too young
Wesley Friday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-friday.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Wesley Friday »

63tty wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 09:47 I don't think this was relevant to the author's story. But it is a quote that is factual, in that we all die in the end. I don't think like that and I also don't believe people think like that.
I guess you are right, people do not think like that on a regular basis because it is not a subject they keep in their consciousness always. But you'd be surprised at the number of people who would think like this or share similar sentiments say at a funeral or when a disastrous event does happen. People do think like that, just that it takes something more to bring those thoughts to the surface.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”