Is death the only thing guaranteed in our lives?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Re: Is death the only thing guaranteed in our lives?

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

I've heard such statements from people and I believe the statement is actually true. Death is only a passage to a true life. In relation to the book, the human soul is eternal and its existence transcend beyond this realm of life.
Blossy20
Currently Reading: Understanding the business of health care
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blossy20.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Blossy20 »

I have heard a lot of people make this statement, and I agree with it. The purpose of the saying is to encourage the maximisation of a person's life; it is not meant to discourage anybody. However, I do not think the statement is relevant to the novel, it was just used to "hook" the audience.
Precious Lynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-lynn.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Precious Lynn »

I don't think everyone says or thinks that death is the only guarantee in life. I think death is guaranteed, but it's not the only guarantee in life. The author's application of the multiverse theory also contradicts the statement because the author looks at death from multiple points of view. Other people experience death differently from the person who dies.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

I don't think it is somehow relevant to the Worldlines, and it's true that the author quoted it in the book. I also don't think that the people think that way, baecause I don't agree with that. Death isn't the thing guaranteed in our lives.
Hailey Morgan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailey-morgan.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Hailey Morgan »

Sushan wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 00:17
Death, the only thing in life that is guaranteed. That’s what people say and that’s what we all think. However, what if it isn’t?
(Location 26 of Kindle version)

The author gets a start to his story with the above statement. He says that 'people say so'. Do actually people say like that? Do you too think like that? What is the actual relevance of this statement to this story?

This is about the book, not the subject in general, so you MUST answer the second question as well. (the mod)
In my opinion, people do not say it that much but they do think it. I would also agree with the statement. I think this statement is relevant to show that tomorrow is not guaranteed so you should be grateful because we only live once.
Elena Nechita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-nechita.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Elena Nechita »

In my culture people actually have this mindset that only death is guaranteed but it usually gpes back to religion amd how only God knows when it will happen. Anyway, I don't think the statement has enough relevancy to the story.
Elon Gathungu
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elon-gathungu.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by Elon Gathungu »

I think the author uses that statement to drive a point. By inviting readers to critically consider the statement he questions the idea of death as the only guarantee. I think death is a guarantee for any living creature because nothing is immortal. However, death is not the only guarantee in life.
Ellison Kinsley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellison-kinsley.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Ellison Kinsley »

I think the author uses the statement to provoke readers to think about the point he is driving. However, I think the statement is true. Once a person is born, the only thing they are guaranteed is death because they cannot live forever. Everything else in life is a product of chance and choices.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

The concept of the multiverse questions the reality of death and if it actually means a clear and definite termination of life. Factor in Gary's multiple existences, the fact that he commits murder is one worldline and is accused in another, and the fact that he has had his own close shave with death.

All these make the beginning quote of this book very relevant to the plot. I don't know if the quote is something people say because I've never heard it the way is stated, still I have heard people share the same sentiment, and I have to say I believe it too. Death is the only certain thing for us all. We are all born at different times, and some people live much longer than others, but everyone dies eventually.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

Yes, I have heard this several times. I believe it too because presently, no one will escape death. However, this quote is relevant to the theme of the book since the story bothers around life in different shades and death (when Gary committed murder).
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

To be honest I have not heard of anyobe making such a statement. We could equally say that being born is guaranteed.

Actually we often say that things are guaranteed when they are not and they are not when they are.
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Recee Ann »

We all know that death is the end of life but saying it is the only guaranteed thing in life is missing the point. Maybe the author had a different view of this and maybe his views conflicted with his writing. I can't speak for anyone but I know death isn't the only guaranteed thing in this life.
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

People often do not assert this because, aside from death, there are few guarantees in life. Ones who claim this, I assume, are not terrified of death or do not value their residual pilfered life to its fullest. We live and make memories, and that is inherent and a guarantee. On the other picture, this quote is often cliche, but it speaks the truth: we all die at the end after doing our finest and striving to be the definitive figure of ourselves. But, at the very least, we were able to live. This line has nothing to do with the story, but it is thought-provoking.
Choky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choky.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Choky »

We all know we are going to die someday. So yes death is a guarantee. I am sure people say that and, I do not think it has any relevance to the story.
Ndive Mzamo
Currently Reading: The Price of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndive-mzamo.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ndive Mzamo »

Death is guaranteed, no one knows what tomorrow holds. This statement is relevant to the story concerning what was done by Gary. I don't think people say it like that because there is more to life also that we have to fulfill.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”