What are your opinions about Professor Leyton Buzzard and his teachings?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Re: What are your opinions about Professor Leyton Buzzard and his teachings?

Post by lavkathleen »

Fliesie01 wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 04:15 I think he has the perfect, quirky personality so that people struggled to believe him and his theories, it gives the worldline "theories" more mystery to it.
Those weren't his theories, though. He was merely sharing the theories that were formulated by some of the most renowned scientists in history. I love how he thinks and shares it with his classes, though; they're truly intriguing. Besides, those who doesn't believe him simply wouldn't open their mind to what science has to say.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Unsullied wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 07:33 I absolutely loved the professor. I loved his analysis of ordinary happenings and how cool he appeared from the conversations in the book. I loved that he liked inviting his students to think like him.
Right?! It makes me feel excited everytime he enters the scenes because more about the complexities of that fictional world is about to be shared using science. I think that's what made him cool, too. I wish I had a professor like him.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

DyanaFl wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 12:35 I loved the professor. His quirky way of teaching is exactly how I think students should be taught as it encourages us to think for ourselves, fend for ourselves. I would love to have a fairly eccentric but talented professor like him.
It's been a while since I've read the book, I don't remember him as quirky. :lol2: It's usual for professors to let their students figure out their lessons, though. I guess Professor Buzzard has a certain charm with him, too and his students are quite sharp, too in order for them to keep up with him.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Victor Kilyungi wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 01:42 His teaching seems cool and fun. It jogs your mind and allows you to engage fully with the content. I love his enthusiasm too. I'd have loved to have such a professor. Witty, knowledgeable, and just all round fun.
Since this involves physics, it's hard for me to imagine my class enjoying, even if he's the professor. :lol2: I'm surrounded by people who simply don't have an affinity with science. But I guess professors from any subject should be able to do what Prof. Buzzard does with his students.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Vine001 wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 13:04 I remember him from when I read this book a few months back. He seemed quirky, eccentric and slightly silly. However I did enjoy those crazy theories about of his and the passion he invested in them.
They aren't his theories, though. They were formulated centuries ago by renowned scientists, although he has his own way of explaining them that seems personal. Also I think he might get slightly offended to call them "crazy theories." :lol2:
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

scaryeyes_25 wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 01:04 I like how the author gave life to Professor Leyton. He was engaging but nerdy, inquisitive but open-minded. He exudes openness that makes the multiverse interesting and believable. I was rethinking my knowledge of this universe and my dreams after 'attending' his class.
Everytime he enters a scene, I get excited because even though physics concepts are hard, he has a way of making it fun and intriguing. It's beyond textbook explanations, and I guess it's thanks to the author for creating Professor Buzzard and giving him such charms.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Mtibza eM wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 12:37 I think this personality of his brought a different feel to the otherwise sombre mood of the entire book. When he appeared in the book, he brought humour which I appreciated because it balanced the book perfectly.
Oooh, I never thought of it like that. Now that I think about it, the book would probably be more depressing without him. I wouldn't call the mood of the book "sombre," though... but it wouldn't be far from that if we put it in a scale, I guess. I'd say it's mysterious and heavy, I guess. :lol2:
Kathleen Lavador

Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

I loved the character. I loved the fact that he didn't spread the information others wouldn't believe. Also the fact that he's open-minded.
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

He is open to sugestions. He is enthuastic. He is cheerful and to top it all, he is smart. He is exactly the type of lecturer i pray and hope for.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
revathy sw
Favorite Book: The Wind in the Willows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revathy-sw.html
Latest Review: Mithra by John M. Rattenbury

Post by revathy sw »

I found Professor Leyton Buzzard's character quite intriguing and endearing. I believe he was truly passionate about his subject, and patiently and doggedly made sure his students got the idea that he was trying to convey. I found his teaching style to be one that is very engaging and would easily arouse students' interest in the topic. I also loved how helpful he was, in all the worldlines, to Gary and Sinead.
Just an average book-lover bumbling through life :tiphat:
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

I found his teaching method brilliant, reminded me of my university physics professor who would always go on a tangent. And while initially, we would have no clue where it is going, after 40 minutes of proving theorems, he would make a startling revelation. He managed to instill in me curiosity and passion about the subject, which was never the case before, despite his non-linear, even reckless way of teaching. Somehow, I think, this is more important than the contents themselves. Professor Leyton is patient, and breaks down even the most advanced concepts in small simple bits.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

I think he was a crucial character in the book. He was significant especially for those readers who seek logic as opposed to possibility and subjectivity. I feel he played his part like a pro.
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

I like him. I think having him for a professor would definitely persuade me to be more openminded about his theories. Maybe his quirkiness is a bit of a stereotype but I find his personality endearing.
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Parahiyo »

Prof. Leyton Buzzard was an amazing character. He might seem peculiar, but he is loveable and humorous. His theories were and teachings were interesting and fascinating.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

I think Prof. Leyton Buzzard's teaching style was top-notch, and I liked how he would open up his students, reasoning. His calmness and informed reasoning makes him stand out as a good professor.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”