What are your opinions about Professor Leyton Buzzard and his teachings?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Re: What are your opinions about Professor Leyton Buzzard and his teachings?

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Mimi Kenneth wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 03:59 I think his method of teaching is confusing since the scenarios and possibilities he mentioned were unfathomable to the students and when you think you're following you find out you aren't. But, I think he is a knowledgeable man whom one can learn a lot from if you adapt to his method of teaching.
I see your point. These theories were new to his students. Professor Buzzard wanted them to consider things from another point of view. It took so much imagination on there part to do so. A knowledgeable man indeed!!!
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

Benaron wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 12:58 Professor Leyton's sense of humor was on point- I really like how he carried his dialogue and it was funny to read. In-person, however, it's very difficult to have a conversation with someone who goes off on tangents; I doubt I would appreciate it as much then.
Oh I agree on that sense. Why go off a targent? But in case of lecturing, Prof. Buzzard managed to make it intresting actually. And then I don't think he goes off a targent in conversations; when Gary was explaining his experience on the many worlds theory, Prof. Buzzard was actually attentive and straight to point. Although he did ask questions that doesn't seem to relate, but I think he is only trying to understand Gary more.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I loved his character and his teaching style: he reminded me so much of a Bioethics professor I had at university. I especially liked his humor and how down-to-earth he was.
Troy Barnes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-troy-barnes.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Troy Barnes »

The professor was very talented at what he did as he was a free thinker and he encouraged his students to do the same. He didn't want his students to be limited by the constraints of what society thought was right and so allowed to to experiment with wild theories and possibilities.
Troy Barnes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-troy-barnes.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Troy Barnes »

He was a quirky, eccentric with odd little behaviors that endeared his students to him and made him more relatable. I loved the passion he had for teaching.
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

I enjoyed scenes to do with the professor because I think he brought quite a different dynamic to the story and made it enjoyable.
He was also an integral part of the entire deconstruction analysis of the multiverse theory and personally, I feel like he was the most important character.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

I like him. He challenged the students and opened their minds to other things. While I could only get some much I feel that he would be the most favorite teacher students will have.
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

Adam Guest discribed his looks like that of a mad scientist. After reading on his lectures and conversation, I couldn't agree more. Professor Buzzard is the type that teaches in a way that shows he more concerned about his student following him than him teaching at a fast pace. He portrayed this by engaging the students in recounting their near death experience.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
CoolReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-coolreads.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by CoolReads »

For some reason, Professor Buzzard's frame by frame dissection of Gary's and Sinead's near death experience reminded me of 'Final Destination' movies. Never been that good at Physics. Wish I had someone like Professor Buzzard in school who could have made the subject more graspable for people like me.
jeanmtdb
Favorite Book: Devil Among Us
Currently Reading: The Dragons of Chiroptera
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanmtdb.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jeanmtdb »

I enjoyed Professor Buzzard's character. He was interesting and passionate. If the purpose of education is to teach students to think outside the box, the professor certainly did that. He also had time for his students and took them seriously.
shreya_davessar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreya-davessar.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by shreya_davessar »

Prof. Leyton is quite an interesting personality. I feel that he is a character who firmly believes in what he tells his students. What I love the most about his character is, that he does not restrict himself to the concepts that have already been proven or are well known; He explores and tries to connect the proposed theories to the day-to-day life around him. He learns from the experiences of those around him and in turn, encourages others to think beyond what is considered as reality.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

DyanaFl wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 12:35 I loved the professor. His quirky way of teaching is exactly how I think students should be taught as it encourages us to think for ourselves, fend for ourselves. I would love to have a fairly eccentric but talented professor like him.
Active learning is accepted as more effective than passive learning, and this professor clearly promotes active learning by making his students think. And I think that is what all teachers do. And at the same time the author directs the reader to think further into the concepts that he introduces, through his own character of Prof. Buzzard.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Mtibza eM wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 12:37 I think this personality of his brought a different feel to the otherwise sombre mood of the entire book. When he appeared in the book, he brought humour which I appreciated because it balanced the book perfectly.
I agree. The concepts of the book could have been harder to digest if they were not presented in a palatable form. And the author has used this character cleverly to do exactly that.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

Sushan wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 00:18
He was a man who would often go off on a tangent, speaking enthusiastically about a subject we had no idea we were meant to be discussing. Usually, you’d think you were following him, only to find you weren’t when he revealed the real topic. It was his way of trying to get us to open our minds up to different scenarios and possibilities, many of which were often unfathomable.
(Location 185 of Kindle version)

Prof. Leyton Buzzard was quite enthusiastic about discussing apparently ordinary events in a detailed and a logical manner to open the minds of his students to new possibilities and theories. What do you think about his teaching style and teachings? What is your overall opinion about him?
Professor Leyton was very passionate about his teachings and made the reader want to develop an interest in them. Although, sometimes he could be difficult to comprehend.
Sushan Ekanayake

Vine001 wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 13:04 I remember him from when I read this book a few months back. He seemed quirky, eccentric and slightly silly. However I did enjoy those crazy theories about of his and the passion he invested in them.
Yes, he showed a great passion towards his subject, which is essential for a teacher and of which many teachers are lacking these days. His theories are wierd, yes, but at the same time they are really interesting.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”