Overwhelming background information

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Re: Overwhelming background information

Post by DTamara »

I think this is a very subjective thing. Personally, I love details, even when they are less necessary than in this case, it helps me inhabit the characters and makes things more vivid. In this specific case, Garry's near accident, I actually think it was important to know this information to truly appreciate the probability, or improbability of all these things happening.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

As for me, detailed descriptions of events, scenarios, and locations put me into the story. Hence, I didn't see the author's vivid description of scenarios as a detraction at all.
elouie44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by elouie44 »

I actually felt the same way as you; that was something I took note of when I was reading it. I didn't like how the author would just list a lot of the items as his description; I'm pretty sure this occurred at the college campus scene, where he lists a bunch of things at the campus. As a reader it goes in one ear and out the other.
Maggie MacLaren
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-maclaren.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Maggie MacLaren »

Personally, I think it was done well and enjoyed all the details. I've always enjoyed a book that gave such good descriptions that I'm able to picture myself there easily. Guest seemed to know the line between descriptive and wordy.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I think these details are like the repetitions in the story. They are used as an approach to illustrate the multiverse theory. It encourages the readers to be extra attentive and look out for changes. And if there are slight differences in the details, it leaves a thought-provoking question: How will they impact the other worldlines?
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

Well, I prefer it that way. The descriptions didn't move the plot forward, but they made it possible to form images of the places described. Still, that isn't to say that the details weren't tiring.
Innovations are usually the result of desperate times
Satwik Mohanty
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: My Living Will
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-satwik-mohanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 6063

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

I liked those descriptions. They did what they were meant to do. They showed tiny changes which occurred in the worldlines and helped visualize the whole scene a bit better. And I don't have any problem with that.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am fine with all of the details. They made me feel as if I was really there. I think that the detailed descriptions were also part of understanding who the characters were. It let me know more about them by seeing what they liked.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

Sushan wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 01:00 The author has gone too far, as per my opinion, describing the background details when he took the reader to a new scenario. A few examples are the descriptions about the road in the scenario of Gary's nearly missed accident, the details about the campus cafeteria when Sinead took Gary to meet her boyfriend, the details about the train station when Gary went to London to get his girlfriend and the details about the local pub that Gary and Michelle had dinner.

Do you feel the same as me? Could it have been better if the details were a bit less? Did you find it distracting or did you prefer it the way it was?
As for me, I didn't have the same feeling; I think the descriptions made the story more realistic. Describing the scene of the accident helped answer most of my questions. I think I didn't find them any destructive.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

Some authors prefer providing minutest details to help readers with visualizing the scenes. Although, it is tricky, and requires knack and experience. Some authors weave the details so nicely in the story that it creates a beautiful reading experience. But if not done correctly, excessive details can be distracting as was the case with this book.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Well, as a reader, I'm not a fan of over-detailed descriptions when they are not necessary for the plot. It makes it a little tedious for me, so I agree with you. However, I am aware this is a matter of preference, so I wouldn't be quick to judge. I'm very picky with descriptions, so it might be just me.
NISSE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisse.html
Latest Review: Insights for Coaching Leaders beyond 2021 by Jill Flynn

Post by NISSE »

In my opinion these explanations do require in order give the reader more understanding of the surroundings and the places. Some readers may find it difficult to digest,especially in the middle of an action scene. So, I will side with author in this book, especially as some of the events related to different worlds.
ej_author
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ej-author.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by ej_author »

I agree with what you've said; that was very distracting for me. And the odd thing was that the author would only do it sometimes, and usually not when it was extremely important. Other times there was tons of straight dialogue with no descriptions at all, which is also difficult to read. It didn't feel like there was a great balance.
"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader." --Robert Frost
blackjack1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackjack1.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Reading Device: duokan

Post by blackjack1 »

I think you're right, the author should have shortened those descriptions, although it really wasn't too bad, and it made it only slightly less interesting
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Obioma CM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obioma-cm.html
Latest Review: Higher Ground by Sophia Edwards-Bennett MD PhD

Post by Obioma CM »

I felt the same way as you did. The author could have focused all that energy on the characters rather than roads. At first, I found it exciting anyway, became a bore as the book progressed.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”