Overwhelming background information

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Overwhelming background information

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Goodness C N wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 01:08 Yeah. Yeah. Sometimes authors do bad by giving overt descriptions. I find this quite distracting to say the least. Regardless, this book was an amazing read.
I am not saying this book is bad or going to reduce its rating for any reason. But I felt the 'too muchness' of the background details quite distracting. It is purely personal, and it is highly possible that some readers prefer it that way and dislike directly told stories.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Neenu B_S wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 01:10 I didn't find it distracting because it gave a flow to the plot. It was necessary as all those details reminds us of the scene when it happens in another worldline. And it also helped us to visualize the scene better.
Yes, it is a help to understand when scenarios repeat as per the multiverse theory. But I still think that it could have made into short descriptions. Reading the descriptions once is tiring enough. Imagine when you read the same for several times 😩
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

I do not think the author was immoderate in his details. With the detailing, he used it to show a kind of connection between one world and the other. Though this is subject to opinion.
Khushnuma Parveen +
Favorite Book: Clockwork Angel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushnuma-parveen.html
Latest Review: Agatha the Beloved Queen by Fred Pilcher

Post by Khushnuma Parveen + »

:techie-studyinggray: I think the details create a story world so they are necessary but in some cases like the details of the pub where Gary goes and details of the resort were a bit too long for me... Over all these details made me imagine the world of Gary easily.. So I think that these are necessary...
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

Sushan wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 05:01
Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 22:57 I don’t think it was overwhelming at all. For a book like this, a lot of description is needed in order to get a real feel as to what is happening in the story. It doesn’t matter if it’s not significant to the story, what matters to me is understanding what I’m reading and every single description helps make the story real
The 'real feel' is a good thing to a story. But irrelevant background details can make the story unnecessarily lengthy, and will ultimately exhaust the reader. What is the use of getting the real feel if you happen to find that you are struggling to reach the end of the book?
Well that is a real point there @Susan. I mean, what's the point in understanding a story if you find it unnecessarily long? But that didnt happen with Wordlines, or did it? Sure the descriptions made the book more lengthy than it should have been,but I don't think it was unnecessarily lwnghty. I think the descriptions were just enough to give the book enough real-feel to make...feel real.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Usually, it would distract me or make it a drag to read the book. In this case, however, the details serve an important role because of the theme of the story. We need to be aware of them and try to catch the differences between the different AUs since the point of the story is showing that those differences are what makes each AU unique.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

I enjoyed the detail in the story. It helped me picture the scene and the characters in it- especially when small things changed based on what worldline was the focus. I know that isn't for everyone though. There was a lot of detail.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Reema Aydieh wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 06:43 I did notice that too, I feel like the author could have focused more on the story and how the plot progressed than describing things that didn't move the story forward. Maybe that would've worked if things were equally described to draw readers into the world.
It's been almost a year since I last read the book— I can't remember any part that didn't move the story forward. I guess it's the details for the worldbuilding? But I think those are heart of the book, since thr author was trying to point out the fact that they came from different AUs and those details are what makes the difference.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Unsullied wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 07:28 I loved those descriptions. I was able to get into the new planet through those descriptions. For a fiction, I think those descriptions were very necessary.
Right?! Those descriptions are what makes the difference; I loved how the author was able to show the similarities but I got more excited about the little things that made each Gary unique. Descriptions here are necessary, though I wouldn't say that it's needed for every piece of fiction.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

ROSEYANN wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 09:54 I think the descriptions were necessary to soften the book a bit by using imagery. The description made the story seem realistic and provided prevented the book from being monotonous.
I'm not sure if that was the goal, 'cause for some stories it would actually do more harm than good. I get where OP was coming from since usually it makes the book tiring to read and I hate it when that happens. However, in this story, those descriptions were necessary since those tiny differences in details is the heart of the book.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Eriny Youssef wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 10:34 I feel the same way as you do. As a reader, I don't appreciate too many details about background, or too mich details in general, for the matter. However, I think it differs from one reader to the other. Some top sellers are stacked with details and people love it.

I find it distracting and think the less the better. Concise and to the point is my preference.
True; in general, I guess it's a matter of preference. But in this case, I can't imagine the story being this good without those tiny details. The author had to provide them because just as the theory goes, there could only be a handful of differences in decisions and actions but it would immensely affect how their lives go. If those were removed for the sake of being concise, then we'd be reading a different kind of story.
Kathleen Lavador

Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Reema Aydieh »

lavkathleen wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 20:54
Reema Aydieh wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 06:43 I did notice that too, I feel like the author could have focused more on the story and how the plot progressed than describing things that didn't move the story forward. Maybe that would've worked if things were equally described to draw readers into the world.
It's been almost a year since I last read the book— I can't remember any part that didn't move the story forward. I guess it's the details for the worldbuilding? But I think those are heart of the book, since thr author was trying to point out the fact that they came from different AUs and those details are what makes the difference.
I realized my mistake after I posted that. :oops: I figured that to make the story enjoyable the author had to describe each line and how it was different from the other one. So yeah, I agree with you. :oops: :oops:
“Just keep swimming.”
Sushan Ekanayake

Victor Kilyungi wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 01:23 I did notice them too but they weren't overkill for me. I think they served to show that only minor changes in the worldlines had occured. After all, isn't the many worlds theory suggesting that there are minor changes between worldlines all summing up to form an infinite number of possibilities for each scenario, each place, each person and each action?
I agree. The support that the minute background details gave to show the similarities between numerous universes is immense. But that does not out weight the extra effort that a reader has to go through to finish reading this book going through extensive and repetitive background details.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

As I read over portions of the book. I did find the descriptions a bit much and maybe the descriptions could have been better integrated into the story. There were some descriptions that did their job in terms of capturing the imagination. For example the drive to their accommodation on the ski trip. However, some persons may have found this to be a bit much.
JodieLKM
Favorite Book: The Biblical Clock
Currently Reading: Solaris seethes
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodielkm.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by JodieLKM »

I found the details described in one worldline linked up to other worldlines, so the 'thoughts' and descriptions of each scene were needed to reveal the idea that no matter what worldline the character was in, certain thoughts did not change. Now with that being said, Gary has drastically different opinions of Michelle when he feels slighted. The extreme feelings allowed the new worldline which gave into the feelings of 'hate' for her rather than 'love'. These feelings often go hand in hand. The whole scenario for each line was needed so we understand how he came to reach the places he was at.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”