Is Garry a good person?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Koyna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koyna.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Re: Is Garry a good person?

Post by Koyna »

I believe in the story Gary is shown as a sensitive and good person. He never consciously killed anyone. But we can only say this based on the worldlines we are introduced to in the book. In some other worldline, it is quite possible that Gary is a horrid person.
Koyna
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koyna.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Koyna »

Neenu B_S wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 00:23 We cannot say that Gary is a bad person. Our unconscious mind may have dark thoughts that doesn't mean he wanted to commit that crime. None of us are perfect so we cannot blame Gary for his crime and he also worries about it later.
I agree. We cannot tag Gary as a bad person just because he unconsciously killed someone. Additionally, after he realized about his crime, he tried to help the other Gary to prove himself guilty.
Blessing Okorie
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-okorie.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Blessing Okorie »

I would not say that Gary is bad simply because of the thought of killing. We all have our areas of weakness but some manage to overcome it. I will just say that he is a good man who made a bad decision.
Wesley Friday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-friday.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Wesley Friday »

I think Gary is a good person. He obviously cared about those around him. Gary in the black line turning out as a bad person was simply a depiction of how bad things happen to good people which can in turn make them bitter and drive them to do things they otherwise would not do. The fantasy of murder and carrying it out is definitely a bad thing, however his metamorphosis into someone with such thoughts should not be surprising and condemning.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This is exactly why I think Gary should plead guilty in court. This is because a crime never happened except someone intends to commit such a crime. He does intend to kill, thus, he can't be said to be a good person.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 02:30 Do you think that Garry is a good person? The fact that Garry from The Black Line fantasized of killing Michelle is not something that good people do. I mean he could have imagined to punish her otherwise. He is essentially the same person, no matter where the life (the line) brought him.
I understand that Garry could have imagined doing other things to Michelle apart from killing her. I still don't agree that it ultimately makes him a bad person just because he fantasized about killing her. I think overall, he is a good person.
Hugo_W
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyj.html
Latest Review: The Greatest Game Ever Played...Maybe by Otto L. Wheeler

Post by Hugo_W »

I don't know if anyone has said it here yet, but the thing that made me really question Gary's morality was that "punish" was the word he used. Like, did he really believe that she needed to be punished, and that he was the one who had to punish her? That, in itself, was a concerning thought process. There's also this one point I noticed where, after the ski plot point, Gary is helping Michelle take off her ski gear and she says, without the text elaborating that it's a joke or anything: "Don't even think of trying anything!" Why does Michelle think that Gary will take advantage of her when she's injured? Why isn't Gary more alarmed by her jumping to that conclusion...? He also describes his opinion on women's appearances several times. With all these little details, it seems like his attitude toward women needs to be worked on.
Kyle Hylan-Corcoran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyle-hylan-corcoran.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kyle Hylan-Corcoran »

Garry, like everyone else, is a complex being. We all have dark thoughts about other people and ourselves, but most of us do not act on them. If Garry never acts on such things, then he is practicing restraint, which is a positive human quality.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

Being good is a subjective term sometimes. We all have our flaws as humans. Fantasizing about killing Michelle in itself doesn't make Gary a bad person. He did several other good things that define him
Choky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choky.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Choky »

This is not a black-and-white situation. Therefore I cannot say that Gary is a bad person. At some point in life, we have all had dark thoughts.
Ndive Mzamo
Currently Reading: The Price of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndive-mzamo.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ndive Mzamo »

Gary is not a good person. A good person doesn't fantasize about killing. A good person will never think about causing harm to anyone instead will try to help others.
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

Fantasizing about killing a person and actually carrying out the did are entirely poles apart. It takes hardheartedness to kill a person. However, Gary's case is unique because of the worldlines. Just because he's bad in one worldline, doesn’t mean he's bad in every other worldline. I think that will simply be unfair.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I think people fantasizing all horible thing that they could have done to the person they are fantasizing to. But what makes difference between good people and bad people is good people just end at the fantasizing it only. If Gary was only fantasizing and not done the killing act. I think Gary is good person.
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

For me I believe it’s our situation and experiences that shape us into the type of person we become. What I am trying to say is that Garys may be different versions of Gary, but ultimately, they are different people. The choice black line Gary took doesn’t define Blue line Gary.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

The character that was amplified in blackline exposed the dark side of Gary. However, if we weigh the character of the three lines, then I will conclude that Gary is a good person.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”