Is Garry a good person?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Is Garry a good person?

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Do you think that Garry is a good person? The fact that Garry from The Black Line fantasied of killing Michelle is not something that good people do. I mean he could have imagined to punish her otherwise. He is essentially the same person, no matter where the life (the line) brought him.
Thabo Sibanda 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thabo-sibanda-1.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Thabo Sibanda 1 »

Thabo Sibanda 1 wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 10:19 We all fantasize about horrid things at some point but what actually separates the good and the bad is that the good only end at fantasizing. So if Garry only fantasizes but doesn't commit unruly behavior, he is a good person.
We all fantasize about horrid things at some point but what actually separates the good and the bad is that the good only end at fantasizing. So if Garry only fantasizes but doesn't commit unruly behavior, he is a good person.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

I think it is offputting, I'm speaking as a reader. In life though, I believe a lot of variables take part in this. Killing is never a characteristic of the good, and righteous people never consider killing. It requires a high level of hatred and rage. But humans are weak and emotional and I think that's what the author went with when he described the fantasies about killing.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
jomana_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jomana-3.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by jomana_3 »

I think he's mainly good; we all have some bad parts in ourselves. I agree that it isn't normal to fantasize about killing even those who hurt us, but I don't think this makes Garry a bad person. I believe that people are more complicated than just being good or bad.
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

I think there will be a difference in people's personalities in different worldlines, no matter how subtle. Their traits are largely influenced by their circumstances, and Gary from the Black line was a straight up selfish piece of crap. Even fantasizing about killing someone repeatedly does not sound like harmless intrusive thoughts to me, but an insistent dark hatred. However, the other Gary-s were different, or so I would like to believe. Whether they had that potential in them or not, if it doesn't come out significantly, judging them 'bad' would be unfair. Just my opinion.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Eriny Youssef wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 10:38 I think it is offputting, I'm speaking as a reader. In life though, I believe a lot of variables take part in this. Killing is never a characteristic of the good, and righteous people never consider killing. It requires a high level of hatred and rage. But humans are weak and emotional and I think that's what the author went with when he described the fantasies about killing.
I agree. Human nature allows having a range of thoughts, emotions, and actions. Positive actions are virtuous. Negative actions often result in some form of punishment. Gary appeared to have been a good person that made a very bad decision.
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

For me, being good is a day-to-day decision. You have to decide every day that what you will do today will be good not only to yourself but also to other people. Our reaction to a certain event may differ to the next person because of different factors and how we process it. Garry in all the worldlines has subtle differences thus his reaction to Michelle is also different. We cannot say that because one Garry is bad, all the rest is bad.
Neenu B_S
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neenu-b-s.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Neenu B_S »

We cannot say that Gary is a bad person. Our unconscious mind may have dark thoughts that doesn't mean he wanted to commit that crime. None of us are perfect so we cannot blame Gary for his crime and he also worries about it later.
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

Let me start with saying I don't think anyone is good. He may have dreamt of punishing Michelle in that manner but whether he wanted to or it was just inpulsive shouldn't be used to measure his 'goodness'. He still tried to atone for his mistakes by searching for a way to free his doppelganger. In the end, I think what matters is that we constantly strive to do good rather than be good because ultimately, the sum of our actions is what defines us.
Sara chhawniwala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-chhawniwala.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Sara chhawniwala »

No person is either a good person or a bad person. They become good or bad depending on how they react in tricky situation. Gary, fantasizing about killing Mrs. M does not mean he wanted to actually kill her.
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

From my point of view, Gary would have decided to punish Mitchell if she decided to reject him in any of the worldlines since it's something that lives within him. I don't think this makes Gary a bad person since it was the pain he felt that led him to perform such an action.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

I feel that he has basically tried very hard to be a fairly good person, who just happens to have these odd fantasy thoughts. None of us are perfect, so even if he is basically good, he can slip and have bade moments, bad thoughts, make random mistakes. We all do, but how far we take them makes all the difference in how our overall life turns out.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

scaryeyes_25 wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 23:51 For me, being good is a day-to-day decision. You have to decide every day that what you will do today will be good not only to yourself but also to other people. Our reaction to a certain event may differ to the next person because of different factors and how we process it. Garry in all the worldlines has subtle differences thus his reaction to Michelle is also different. We cannot say that because one Garry is bad, all the rest is bad.
I think you made some excellent points. We would need to examine Gary's actions in the different worldlines in order to come up with an accurate understanding of who Gary is. I like the points you made.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I understand that there are different worldliness in this book but I do not think you can calla person “good” if they fantasize about killing . This is not normal thought. Yes, Gary had the will power not to but I would never categorize someone as good if they actually daydream such morbid thoughts
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I understand that there are different worldliness in this book but I do not think you can calla person “good” if they fantasize about killing . This is not normal thought. Yes, Gary had the will power not to but I would never categorize someone as good if they actually daydream such morbid thoughts

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”