Is Garry a good person?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Ivan Nechaiev
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-nechaiev.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Re: Is Garry a good person?

Post by Ivan Nechaiev »

I think Garry would have been a bad person if he would commit what he thought about, also I think that Garry even if she rejected him he wouldn't do anything to her. None of us is fully aware of its unconscious side. I don't think Garry is a bad person.
blackjack1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackjack1.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Reading Device: duokan

Post by blackjack1 »

I don't think Garry was a good person, fantasizing about killing people is a bad thing. he also seemed quite self-centred to me, which certainly isn't a very good characteristic
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Obioma CM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obioma-cm.html
Latest Review: Higher Ground by Sophia Edwards-Bennett MD PhD

Post by Obioma CM »

I believe I have once fantasized about things I knew I wouldn't do. Yes, he could have imagined punishing her and I felt fantasizing about killing her was a bit extreme. Does that make him a bad person? My answer is still no.
Uzoma Kalu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzoma-kalu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Uzoma Kalu »

Everyday we take certain actions that portrays us to people in different ways. Is Gary a good person? I believe he is. However, we also have tendencies in us to be back and that was what happened when he fantasized about killing Michelle. Does this make him a bad person? I don't think so.
Ivy Mokote
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-mokote.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Ivy Mokote »

I find it very difficult to answer this. The first question that pops to my mind is what constitutes a good person? To this, the simplistic answer would be someone who does things in line with our expectations, both morally and legally. To this extent, Gary is not an entirely good person neither is he an entirely bad person. The idea that a person can be good or bad is an impractical ideal.

The other thing that I think we should consider is this. The act Gary did that we frown upon is the murder. In this case, we are acting as judges. Sure, murder is an evil, but even then it is not voluntary. The choice was made unconsciously. In acting as judges, shouldn't we also judge ourselves against what we do to others unconsciously? Yes, we don't go about killing people, and murder is a serious crime, but this doesn't exclude the fact that he was not in full control of his senses at the time. Just as most of us are not completely aware of what we are doing at all times. Therefore, in taking this single incident that we have deemed immoral, rightly so, we blind ourselves to our own immorality. We assume the offender as a complete malevolent person and ourselves as a complete manifestation of the ideal being. And this idea would be catastrophic.
Joy_cee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-cee.html
Latest Review: Firstborn Daddyman by Frank Bailey

Post by Joy_cee »

I think Gary is a good person in all timelines. Although he fantasized killing Michelle and killed her in the blue line, he worked hard also to prove that his doppelganger is innocent.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

Being a good person transcends action. If Gary's personality is to be judged by his conscience, I think he'd pass. But his actions, it portrayed as one who lacks basic decision making principles.
Uzzy_Reviews
Peace Chux
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-chux.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Peace Chux »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 02:30 Do you think that Garry is a good person? The fact that Garry from The Black Line fantasied of killing Michelle is not something that good people do. I mean he could have imagined to punish her otherwise. He is essentially the same person, no matter where the life (the line) brought him.
Some people are more emotional than others, and tend to elicit more passionate responses, but what separates good people from bad people, is what they eventually end up doing, not just fantasizing. Overall, Gary is fairly good. We all have dark fantasies, what matters is what we do about them.
angelap5467
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelap5467.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by angelap5467 »

I don't think Gary is a bad person I just think he is not driven enough or ambitious about anything in his life really. The fact that he fantasized about killing someone who hurt him ( at least in his head), it's not an affirmative reason to classify someone as a bad person. We all have bad thoughts, the difference is whether we execute them or not. His way of thinking from my point of view is a little bit lacking or not passionate enough and i think it could be upped a notch.
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

Maybe the worldline was showing a dark side to his personality that even he was not aware of. I think when a person does a bad thing once and they are sorry they may not be a bad person, but if it is something normal and they are not even sorry then maybe this makes them a bad person
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

I believe everyone has a good side and a bad side and the dominant side that others see in a person is based on life experiences. so yes, in one worldline, Gary is a bad person and in the other worldline, Gary is a good person. Its just so unfortunate for the good Gary that different worldlines interacted and now he has to pay the price for a crime he knows nothing about.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

Gary is a good person, though I feel like he can't take rejection. He becomes the opposite if things don't go his way seen in his action where Michelle rejected him and we're Sinead was mistreated by his boyfriend. The circumstances will determine his character
Ana C Barrantes
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-c-barrantes.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Ana C Barrantes »

I don't think most people fall in the categories of good or bad. Black line Gary did bad things and followed his bad impulses. But not all Gary's did that. I think being good or bad depends on your motivations and their impact. Why did Gary do the things he did and how did they affect the people around him?
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

No one is completely good or bad, sometimes situations makes us do things we never thought we can. I think Garry is a good person, fantazing on calling someone is normal especially when we are furious at the moment because the person hurt us. When he killed Mitchelle, he felt remorseful and he tried to make amends for what he did.
Muskan Upadhyaya
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-upadhyaya.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Muskan Upadhyaya »

I don't think that Garry is a good or right person because even if he has committed a crime in some other time or world but surely he can't be escaped from the heinous crime he has committed.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”