Fate?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Troy Barnes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-troy-barnes.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: Fate?

Post by Troy Barnes »

Yes, I feel that the inevitability of fate was a recurring theme all through the book. No matter what steps Gary took to escape from his sentencing, no matter how much proof he brought to the table, at the end of it all he was still sentenced. So yes, I feel fate a a big hand in that.
Nithilah Ayyappan
Currently Reading: We Hunt the Flame
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nithilah-ayyappan.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson
Reading Device: B07KR2N2GF

Post by Nithilah Ayyappan »

I do think the author believed in fate and the set path of life. And to be honest I do as well, because what else can be the reason for the events of our lives. Some say our decisions facilitate our life, but I believe our decisions are also written into fate, and there are predetermined paths for each life on Earth.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

I think that the author did believe in fate. Not so much because of the different lines coming to almost the same conclusion. It shows that no matter what path you take you were destined to end up at a specific end. But because of the fact that the storylines were conveying a sense of foreboding in what was to happen.
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

I would say there is no such thing as fate. According to the theory, each and every decision made creates an infinte number of outcomes. So fate isn't really a thing.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
fridamadrid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fridamadrid.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by fridamadrid »

I don't think fate really has a big part in this story, because if it can happen, it is going to happen. Maybe there were some coincidences in the worldlines that were presented in the book, but according to the theory there would also be some worldlines where things would be completely different, but those weren't presented because they weren't relevant for the plot, I guess.
Caroline81
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Caroline81 »

I think that the author believed in fate where by the outcome will always be the same despite our effort to avert it.This is depicted in the different worldlines where Gary had the same outcome regardless of the action taken.
yomide

Post by yomide »

ROSEYANN wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 04:18
Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 02:33 Do you think that the author believed in fate? No matter what Garry chose there were some converging points from every universe. Some outcomes were the same, no matter what Garry or the other people chose to do.
I think to some extent the author does believe in fate. However, every outcome was the result of some action on the part of the characters and all the outcomes were not exactly the same.
You are probably right. But isnt fate supposed mean no matter the decision, the result will be the same. Being that each worldline hs different outcomes. What i think the author beliefs (if fate is at play at any time), is that each person has what it takes to control his fate.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 02:33 Do you think that the author believed in fate? No matter what Garry chose there were some converging points from every universe. Some outcomes were the same, no matter what Garry or the other people chose to do.
That's a very interesting observation! I had an impression that the author sees the lines like the opportunities to fix the damage or to become better in general :)
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

DyanaFl wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 12:33 I think the author appreciated the different outcomes pretty well actually. Considering the main event of the murder, there are only two main endings and the author made them both happen.
However, yes, there is something that exists which we call fate. No matter what actions we take, some things just come to pass. The author believed in that, as the reactions or actions of the people involved followed a certain pattern. While the small details might be different, the outcome did not change in a major way.
I see your point. In addition, while we can try to change our actions or explain our actions to others, it is really neither here nor there for some person. Despite the explanation, Gary was found guilty by the jury. This demonstrated that the author does believe in fate from this perspective. At the end of the day, change happens gradually, most of the time. For that reason, the outcome is fixed thereby cementing the existence of fate to some extent.
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

Anna Bookowski wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 12:44
It is not that much a matter of fate, but the result of the assumed existence of ALL possible outcomes. So, if there's an infinite number of possible outcomes, every single possible situation would happen. In the book, we got to know just a tiny selection of them all. But actually, according to the theory, there would be so many of them that we are not even possibly able to imagine them all. It's kind of mind-blowing, right?
I agree, it's more of just "everything will happen" because there's an almost infinite number of choices and worldlines. I guess one could argue that this is the same as fate in a way.
yomide

Post by yomide »

Mimi Kenneth wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 03:51 I don't believe in fate, I believe that outcomes are the result of our choices or decisions we take but I think the author believed in fate since all the actions Gary and others took led to the same outcome.
On the contrary, I don't think the author is particular about fate. Also, the actions and decisions made by Every Gary didn't have the same outcome. After all, the author made it clear by creating the green line. In short, fate doesn't really play in the book.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I don't think the author believes in fate. He just chose to show us converging lines. In the infinite number of lines, it's very unlikely for the outcomes to stay the same no matter what.
yomide

Post by yomide »

Troy Barnes wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 10:00 Yes, I feel that the inevitability of fate was a recurring theme all through the book. No matter what steps Gary took to escape from his sentencing, no matter how much proof he brought to the table, at the end of it all he was still sentenced. So yes, I feel fate a a big hand in that.
No that is not entirely true. Take the green line, he wasn't sentenced, in short he was pronounced innocent. If we are talking on fate in that scenario, I would say there is nothing like fate. In one worldline he was found guilty while in another he wasn't. So how is that fate?
yomide

Post by yomide »

No, fate wasn't entirely in play. Take Michelle for instance, in the blue and green lines she did attend Sinead's party which ultimately led to her death. But in the red line in which she chose not yo attend, she didn't end up dead.
Troy Barnes
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-troy-barnes.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Troy Barnes »

yomide wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 19:42
Troy Barnes wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 10:00 Yes, I feel that the inevitability of fate was a recurring theme all through the book. No matter what steps Gary took to escape from his sentencing, no matter how much proof he brought to the table, at the end of it all he was still sentenced. So yes, I feel fate a a big hand in that.
No that is not entirely true. Take the green line, he wasn't sentenced, in short he was pronounced innocent. If we are talking on fate in that scenario, I would say there is nothing like fate. In one worldline he was found guilty while in another he wasn't. So how is that fate?
I would say it is fate in the sense that in one world Gary was fated to be sentenced while in the other he simply was not. Take into account the fact that the Gary of the green line world was different from the Gary of the blue line world and the people were different and as such you cant expect them to have the same outcome. It was Gary's fate to be sentenced and it was also Gary's fate to be acquitted.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”