Fate?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Re: Fate?

Post by yomide »

You are missing something. You failed to consider the fact that every Gary, on matter the worldline, is still Gary. Again, fate means something constant and unchangeable no matter what. If you say each Gary has a seperate fate, then how do you define fate?
The least i could say about fate being a thing in this book; fate is not what we think it is, it is as dynamic as it is concrete. In short, fate might just be the outcome of our actions.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
yomide

Post by yomide »

Nithilah Ayyappan wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 11:49 I do think the author believed in fate and the set path of life. And to be honest I do as well, because what else can be the reason for the events of our lives. Some say our decisions facilitate our life, but I believe our decisions are also written into fate, and there are predetermined paths for each life on Earth.
How can it ALL be predetermined? That is really hardcore if you ask me. Does that mean Mitchelle dying in the blue and green line while living inthe red and black line; all this is predetermined? The entirety of human decisiins in an infinite scenerios are predetermined? Then, where is free will?
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Chloe Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chloe-adams.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Love by Sherine Anniruth

Post by Chloe Adams »

Personally I think the author does believe in fate because in other books or movies and so on that involve a multiverse or similar gimmick the characters always have a way around unfavourable outcomes. Whereas in here some outcomes can't be changed or escaped from.
yomide

Post by yomide »

Chloe Adams wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 14:36 Personally I think the author does believe in fate because in other books or movies and so on that involve a multiverse or similar gimmick the characters always have a way around unfavourable outcomes. Whereas in here some outcomes can't be changed or escaped from.
I suppose you are right. Not everything has a different outcome. Sometimes, no matter what some certain things always happen. I guess thats what fate is, isn't it?
Vidhi Adhikari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 02:33 Do you think that the author believed in fate? No matter what Garry chose there were some converging points from every universe. Some outcomes were the same, no matter what Garry or the other people chose to do.
I believe the author understands that there isn't a definite way to avoid failure as avoidance in one worldline means some other worldline is paying the price. So by fate, if you mean that our fate is to be met regardless of how much we try to avoid it
Chloe Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chloe-adams.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Love by Sherine Anniruth

Post by Chloe Adams »

yomide wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 06:02
Chloe Adams wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 14:36 Personally I think the author does believe in fate because in other books or movies and so on that involve a multiverse or similar gimmick the characters always have a way around unfavourable outcomes. Whereas in here some outcomes can't be changed or escaped from.
I suppose you are right. Not everything has a different outcome. Sometimes, no matter what some certain things always happen. I guess thats what fate is, isn't it?
I do like the fact that the author has certain things that can't be changed in his book though. That adds to the realism of it all, as fate is something that exists even in the real world. So to have events that can't be altered in the book was a great addition and homage to fate. There's no way he doesn't believe in fate.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 02:33 Do you think that the author believed in fate? No matter what Garry chose there were some converging points from every universe. Some outcomes were the same, no matter what Garry or the other people chose to do.
I think that the reason some outcomes were the same had more to do with the fact that the characters were the same. Even with the differences, the essential motives and characteristics of a person in different world lines are the same.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

I'm not sure if I'd call it fate. Perhaps the reason there were things that happened in each worldline is because decisions made that led to the similarity. If more worldlines were explored or it started with Gary's father's timeline then more decisions would be changed. Very interesting question. Definitely made me think about the difference between fate and decisions in the book.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

I subconciously used the word "fate" in some of my answers here and honestly, I'm even shocked myself. I never thought of the word before even though that was exactly what took place. It was the reason why the ending was so heartbreaking. The fate of blueline!Gary was to be convicted, no matter how good he proved his innocence, while greenline!Gary was found not guilty. It was like getting the short end of the stick. I'd still like to hear it from the author himself, though, just to be satisfied.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

ROSEYANN wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 04:18 I think to some extent the author does believe in fate. However, every outcome was the result of some action on the part of the characters and all the outcomes were not exactly the same.
Yes, but look at what happened to blueline!Gary! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, rooting for him, because he did everything he could. In the end, he still got convicted while another version of him in another worldline was found not guilty. It's true that it's their actions and decisions that lead them to their respective circumstances, but there's also other factors that come into play—and one of the words you could use is "fate."
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Nathaniel Owolabi wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 04:39 I agree that the author believes in fate. However, I do not think the book is completely based on fate, especially because it showed the results of the decision made by Gary. so there might be some element of fate there but not completely.
Of course, it's not just fate. The author didn't go through all that trouble to explain the physics and thought process behind the multiverse just for everything to rely on fate. We know that every little event leads to another, leads to a bigger picture of the situation. The outcomes, though... I guess that's where "fate" comes in.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Ldpuff wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 08:03 Fate is a tricky concept for me. I do believe the author believes in it, yes. The linkage between actions and outcome was obvious. For me, I have a hard time believing that no matter what actions I take, the path is already laid out for me. I prefer to think there is a general plan for me, but I have control over the details.
Hmm, that's a good compromise. It is scary to think that there's just a fixed end for us... like what if it's tragic or unsatisfying? But there's no point in dwelling on it, anyway. We should just focus on the things that we can control and do our best.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Unsullied wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 08:23 I agree with you to some extent that the author believes in fate. The fact that Garry could have made several different decisions that could have had totally different outcomes but chose to do what he did in reality is testament of fate. It was what was meant to be.
Even if he made different decisions and actions, there was no way for him to know which decisions or actions were going to lead him to not be found guilty. It was meant to be, though, because no matter how he was at proving that he was innocent, he still got convicted while his version in another worldline got out. I guess that was "fate."
Kathleen Lavador

elouie44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by elouie44 »

I'm not sure whether the author believes in fate or not because in my opinion that's not what this book deals with. The book deals with millions of worldlines, different possibilities converging at specific, life-changing moments. If he wanted to represent the idea more accurately (or theoretically) he could've made many more worldlines, but that would've been confusing for the reader. My point is is that I don't believe it's a question of fate vs free will but rather what are all the random things that can happen in any situation, and how would our lives be different if those things did happen?
yomide

Post by yomide »

Fate. Personnally i dont entirely like that word. Somethings just have to happen, no matter what. I love to believe that everything is a coincidence but i have been proved wrong. Gary wasnt fated to be convicted but he was fated to have a loyal friend, Sinead.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”