Fate?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Elena Nechita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-nechita.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Re: Fate?

Post by Elena Nechita »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 14:06 I think the author believes in fate but he also points out that your destination is also affected by choice. For example, Gary chose to ski down a slope while trying to take a picture. Do you think the accident was fate or determined by Gary's choice? I think fate and choice are intertwined.
Maybe it was fate that he would have an accident but his choice shaped the same outcome slightly differently? Sorry if this is not what you were referring to.
Elena Nechita
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-nechita.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Elena Nechita »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 14:06 I think the author believes in fate but he also points out that your destination is also affected by choice. For example, Gary chose to ski down a slope while trying to take a picture. Do you think the accident was fate or determined by Gary's choice? I think fate and choice are intertwined.
Good point! Maybe it was fate that he would have an accident but his actions shaped the same outcome slightly diferrently? Sorry if this is not what you were referring to.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

I think the author believed in both fate and chance. In one worldline, Garry was okay and in yet another he was in trouble. In two different worldlines, he was dating two different girls. Basically, in a single worldline, according to the author, your fate is sealed. Luckily, you're given another chance in another worldline.
mohamed benziane
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohamed-benziane.html
Latest Review: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life by Lewis Kempfer
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by mohamed benziane »

I feel like every one of us who exist in different parallel worlds are the same person with just different character traits, for example: if i hated dancing in one world, the other me of the other side actually loves it, because of that we would have the same fate at the end because we are actually the same person
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

Now that you have mentioned it, it now seems to me that it’s was all Gary’s fate. A fate orchestrated by an author who believes in fate and enjoys to control it how he wants to but then again I think it’s part of the reason why I enjoyed reading this book
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

The author has definitely presented many of his outcomes as fate-dependent. No matter what individual action the protagonist takes, he will always get the same, pre-decided result- definitely fate at work.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

I believe the author believed in fate, although this concept is quite dicey to me. Gary's actions always brought about a certain outcome irrespective of the worldline he was in. That end result to me, is a product of fate.
Choky
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choky.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Choky »

I think that the author believed in fate. I also believe that all our lives have already been planned out.No matter what actions we take.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

well, I think maybe the author believes in fate, but he also believes in actions and their consequence which what the characters endings are all about. fate is definitely unavoidable but your fate is based on your actions you can not learn how to swim and expect not to drown in the ocean because of fate.
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

There can be an in-depth debate on this issue, but in the end, it is more important what the author himself thinks. Whether he really believes in fate or the story depicts the impact of fate on the hero.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I think the author believed in fate because everyone has their own fate, such as their birth, and when they will be dead, etc. But in this book, every outcome is the result of the actions of what Gary did.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think the commonly accepted notion of fate would still apply because even though the people are the same, they are also not the same. I wonder if it could be multiple fates for the same person? Or, people are like matryoshka dolls: the smallest Gary got hit and killed by the lorry, the second fared a bit better, the third a bit better yet, and so on. That seems a bit negative, but really it's not. The world is such a crazy place and we do such crazy things, it's a miracle that we don't get into terrible accidents more often.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

Even if the author does not deeply believe, he is most likely trying to underline fate and its existence. Although at some points in the book, it was not fate that held the strings but the decisions that moved the plot forward.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

"Little things amount to big things". The narrative of the author linking every detail together does mean the author did believe in Fate.
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

I think the author believes in fate. Because even though there where multi universe and decisions to take, the outcomes seemed like it was set in stone.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”