Explaining the multiverse theory

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Feliceness
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feliceness.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Re: Explaining the multiverse theory

Post by Feliceness »

I liked that Adam kept it simple and to the point. I'm not a science nerd, but I really like books and movies about time travel and parallel universes. I like to focus on the fun and fiction of the story not all of the scientific jargon that can sometimes get confusing and boring. (not always and not everything)

It was easy to understand how the worldlines were explained. It also clicked in easy, because I had thought about my dreams as a portal to other dimensions (worldlines before).
:reading-6: Feliceness Means Happiness
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

The author explained the Many Worlds Theory really well. I found I understood what it included and what it didn't. I also appreciated that throughout the book there were small "refreshers" about the theory. That way if a reader who doesn't read many multiverse stories becomes confused there is a reminder of what is happening.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

I've read a few other books that used the same theme and I'd say that Guest's way was the one I enjoyed the most. I only did a little research beyond the book because personally I wasn't satisfied with what was provided in the book but even without that, I would've still understood and enjoyed the concepts. Even the parts that are beyond the science facts are not so overwhelming or cringy.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Fliesie01 wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 03:44 Normally when I think of multiverses and the space-time continuum I get so confused, but the author did a great job at explaining it, I could follow along with ease and enjoyed the story.
Usually, if you're a person who gets confused with this kind of stuff, you wouldn't even be able to remember the term "space-time continuum." :lol: You're doing great! Anyway, this was the first book that I read that involved the multiverse and I agree that it really is easy to follow. It's my favorite book so far!
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Unsullied wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 07:36 The story he started with, of Garry's accident and how different outcomes would have been possible was amazing and understandable. I however got a little confused in the pages that followed and had to be really keen to get it.
It was my first time reading sci-fi and it really got me excited. However, it made my head hurt because I had to focus extra harder and absorb so much new, exciting information! :lol2: I even did a little more research but it was really interesting so I didn't mind.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Amanda Dobson wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 07:36 I think that explaining that concept is hard in general unless you have that background. The author did do a outstanding job in explaining it because I have always had trouble understanding it but while reading this I had very little trouble. I now have a better understanding of the multiverse theory in general.
I've heard about some of the names and experiments from school but I didn't realize they were actually talking about the multiverse. :D Somehow it feels nice to learn about stuff like this from just picking up a fictional book. Kudos to the author for doing thorough research about this and successfully wielding it and gifting us with this amazing story.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Anna Bookowski wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 08:04 I was fascinated by the multiverse theory for a while already and I think I get the whole concept well. So I must admit I was very curious how the author will deal with it. And he did very well! I think everything was clear and possible to understand even if you didn't know anything about it before.
It was! This book was the first one I've read that involved actual physics concepts and that really made me feel excited. It wasn't that difficult to comprehend them, in fact, it was actually fun. Some authors would go too serious about it and make it complicated but obviously that wasn't the case here.
Kathleen Lavador

elouie44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by elouie44 »

I thought he did a good job too. It was never confusing. Honestly, I think the author went a little bit in the other direction in being too redundant and over-the-head with explaining it.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

Usually after reading or watching multiverse stories my nose will bleed. But the way the author explains his concepts and plots is from another level. I understand it easily. It's easy to comprehend
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

Feliceness wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 23:07 I liked that Adam kept it simple and to the point. I'm not a science nerd, but I really like books and movies about time travel and parallel universes. I like to focus on the fun and fiction of the story not all of the scientific jargon that can sometimes get confusing and boring. (not always and not everything)

It was easy to understand how the worldlines were explained. It also clicked in easy, because I had thought about my dreams as a portal to other dimensions (worldlines before).
i did too. Although i never thought of my dreams a portal, just another realm. But reading the worldlines made me almost obssesed with the multiverse theory. I have been constantly watching and reading stuffs that has to do eith it. Good job, Adam Guest desevers that at least.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

scaryeyes_25 wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 01:23 I think connecting the multiverse to our dreams makes it more realistic and easier to understand. Because one way or the other we experienced that already when we dream about something repeatedly. Also, we are all aware that a certain action produces this reaction compared to a different action to a same scenario that will produce a slightly different reaction.
I wouldn't say that it's realistic... but yes, easier to understand. The author took something unexplainable and gave us familiar possible answers while also making it intriguing and wide enough for a sci-fi series. It's easier to grasp since they're familiar ideas and it doesn't take much for us to quickly connect the dots.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

DyanaFl wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 12:21 I think the author did a spectacular job in presenting the theory. It's difficult to lay down these concepts in a simple way but the story maintained its fluidity well in those terms. So I really enjoyed it. Things were made easy by representing the worldlines by different colors and showing their similarities and differences in an easy manner as well.
Accurate description. :techie-reference: It was clever of the author to use colors as indicators of the featured worldlines in his story. The term "worldline" is also almost unheard of which makes it iconic and easier to remember. I wonder how long did the author take to build this world and make sure there are no plot holes? It seems easy as a reader.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Mtibza eM wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 12:26 I think the author did a great job in introducing such a complex theory. The aspect that made it perfect is that at the beginning of every chapter, it was written which universe that particular chapter was set on.
Well, he has to indicate which worldline we were in, or it'd be hard to follow the story. :lol2: (Some authors actually forget to do that, it gives me headaches.) I wouldn't say that it was the aspect that helped the author make world comprehensible, though. I'm not sure which specific part it is, but this kind of story requires a great problem-solving skill and patience.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

ROSEYANN wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 15:43 I agree. The author did a great job explaining the existence multiverse. Normally we speak of a universe where there is only one outcome for every action taken. However, in a multiverse the outcomes are infinite. This explanation clarified the events and the theme of endless possibilities.
For me, it helped that they came from pre-existing scientific theories that we've already studied. It was easier to accept them for me because it was something that connects the fiction to my reality. There's also the fact that the multiverse has also been popular these days in the mainstream media. :lol2:
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Neenu B_S wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 01:18 I think the author was very successful in reaching the concept to the readers. While reading the book, I never felt confusion even though there was many worldlines which consisted the same characters. The talent of the author to exhibit the book in such a simple way is remarkable and worth mentioning.
Yeah, the only difficult part was following their discussions. I remember having so many questions that I had to do research in the middle of reading. :lol2: I really wanted to grasp them, no matter how unnecessary it was. I don't know about talent... but I'm sure it took a lot of trial and error and patience. I get that, so massive kudos to him.
Kathleen Lavador

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”