Do you think Gary should plead guilty in court?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-bookowski.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Re: Do you think Gary should plead guilty in court?

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Suekihleng wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 22:07 I have to admit, this book has caused me to spend way too much time thinking about an "impossible" situation. The question of pleading guilty or not is not an easy one. While he has no recollection of committing the crime, Gary technically did do it. With that in mind, could he live with the guilt of being released and not having to pay for a crime that, while unintentional, he did commit? Honestly, I'm not even sure if there really is a right or wrong answer to whether or not he should plead guilty.
I agree with everything you said. This is a terribly difficult and emotional situation, and there seems to be no right solution. But I wonder if living with such guilt is not enough punishment itself? I mean, how could you even get back to normal life after something like this? I guess the prison sentence could bring some compensation to Michelle's parents, but otherwise, there's no use to punish a man who never intended the thing that happened. He suffers a hell already. It's a very special circumstance, you may say: out of this world.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Anilllll wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 03:48
ROSEYANN wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 09:47
Anna Bookowski wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 09:35 Do you think Gary should plead guilty or not? His father advised him to do so to pay respect to Michelle's parents. Mrs Cohen advised him to plead not guilty as he did not remember his actions. Gary in prison was sure he did not commit the crime, but whether he was in control of his actions or not, he did commit the murder. What do you think?
I think this surrounds the whole issue of intention. Gary loved Michelle and had no intention of harming her and having no recollections of committing the crime may be a valid reason for him not pleading guilty.
Yes, I agree with you! An accused will be guilty of a crime if he/she had a guilty mind. Means, intention to do a certain crime. In this case, Gary's doesn't have the intention to commit the murder. The answer is he shouldn't have pleaded guilty and let the court have decided on basis of the fact!
It seems to be so easy, but I have some doubts. What if you'd be driving a car and caused a terrible accident where innocent people would die? You didn't have the intention to kill them, but here we are, they're dead. Would you still plead not guilty?
Anil G
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Anil G »

Anna Bookowski wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 06:07
ROSEYANN wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 09:47

I think this surrounds the whole issue of intention. Gary loved Michelle and had no intention of harming her and having no recollections of committing the crime may be a valid reason for him not pleading guilty.
Yes, I agree with you! An accused will be guilty of a crime if he/she had a guilty mind. Means, intention to do a certain crime. In this case, Gary's doesn't have the intention to commit the murder. The answer is he shouldn't have pleaded guilty and let the court have decided on basis of the fact!
It seems to be so easy, but I have some doubts. What if you'd be driving a car and caused a terrible accident where innocent people would die? You didn't have the intention to kill them, but here we are, they're dead. Would you still plead not guilty?
The word intention is one of the elements of the term 'Mens rea' in criminal law. Mens rea means a guilty mind. There are mainly 3 types of elements of mens rea... 1. Intention 2. Negligence 3. Recklessness.
And to answer your doubt about the car accident, so it's a matter of negligence which is a criminal offence and whether the accused plead guilty or not he will be penalised. No intention was there to harm but it was negligence on the part of the car driver!
In the case of Gary, it is a matter of intention and here it is the case of negligence.
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Anilllll wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 06:38

The word intention is one of the elements of the term 'Mens rea' in criminal law. Mens rea means a guilty mind. There are mainly 3 types of elements of mens rea... 1. Intention 2. Negligence 3. Recklessness.
And to answer your doubt about the car accident, so it's a matter of negligence which is a criminal offence and whether the accused plead guilty or not he will be penalised. No intention was there to harm but it was negligence on the part of the car driver!
In the case of Gary, it is a matter of intention and here it is the case of negligence.
Thanks for this explanation. I can see you have knowledge in the field :) That certainly makes it clearer for me.
On the margin: I like how much the term "guilty mind" can imply! It does sound like quite a punishment to me, I mean the guilty mind itself!
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Anil G »

Anna Bookowski wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 08:38

Thanks for this explanation. I can see you have knowledge in the field :) That certainly makes it clearer for me.
On the margin: I like how much the term "guilty mind" can imply! It does sound like quite a punishment to me, I mean the guilty mind itself!
Yes! I've knowledge in this field and I'm glad I can share this knowledge here with you and everyone who'll read this :)
On the margin here: There's a lot more to learn about the word 'guilty mind'. As, only having a guilty mind will not be a punishment, otherwise everybody will be punished!
:P
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Anilllll wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 09:44

Yes! I've knowledge in this field and I'm glad I can share this knowledge here with you and everyone who'll read this :)
On the margin here: There's a lot more to learn about the word 'guilty mind'. As, only having a guilty mind will not be a punishment, otherwise everybody will be punished!
True that, although we might be surprised to learn how many people never feel guilt due to their overgrown ego and closed minds! Thank you for sharing a valuable argument!
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Anil G »

Anna Bookowski wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 10:08
Anilllll wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 09:44

True that, although we might be surprised to learn how many people never feel guilt due to their overgrown ego and closed minds! Thank you for sharing a valuable argument!
Exactly! But why eventually feel guilty of their actions sooner or later, after realizing what they did was wrong. They realized mostly when the wrong is done to them and their loved ones. I think they should read today's book of the day 'Your soul is calling' and learn to surrender the ego and live positively and do no harm to others.
Thanks to you too!
:tiphat:
6eyed
Currently Reading: Pedro Paramo
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-6eyed.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by 6eyed »

There are two things to consider here. One is that Gary is not guilty. He was possessed by an entirely different person, so, in truth, he is not guilty. If the main thing to consider is how Michelle's family feels, we know from the green line (and I believe also the blue line?) that Michelle's family doesn't truly believe he's guilty. They still want to be close with him, despite the sorrow that losing Michelle has caused them. If Gary pleads guilty, they will never have closure. They will always believe that their wonderful daughter was killed because she trusted her boyfriend, and I think that's even worse.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

I don't think he should plead guilty. He doesn't remember killing Michelle. How could he give details if he didn't remember committing the crime?
mKlaphake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mklaphake.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by mKlaphake »

I don't think there is any easy answer to this question. Physically Gary did kill Michelle and there is physical proof to back that up. In the eyes of the court and especially in the eyes of Michelle's family Gary is indeed guilty. But, I still think it is important for Gary to fight considering he consciously did not and likely never would have harmed Michelle if he knew what was happening. I also think that in a way it might help Michelle's family understand why the events played out as they did. I'm sure in their mind and previous to these events, Gary was a great future son in law and the fact that he killed Michelle doesn't make any sense to them. Even if it is hard to believe Gary's story it might lead to less hurt in the long run, if they at least have the opportunity to hear him out.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Should he place his innocence below showing respect for Michelle's parents and plead guilty? My answer is no! I wouldn't plead guilty since I didn't physically commit the crime or even remember doing it in the first place. i think his innocence is more important than respect.
Feliceness
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feliceness.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by Feliceness »

It is hard to accept condemnation over something YOU KNOW you didn't do.

Its almost ludicrous to think of Blue worldline Gary actually being taken to prison for Michelle on his time line where Michelle is still alive; even though he is essential reponsible.

I don't even know how it would work IF he was brought to Black worldline Gary's world BECAUSE he killed Michelle in a dream.

I don't know how justice should be brought for Michelle.

We do many things in dreams.

Gary knew what he was doing when he stabbed her. You cannot say it was an accident.

It was a dream. How do you charge someone with murder in a dream - no matter the intent?

If this is could condoned....a lot of people are going to jail for murder, robbery, perversion, etc.

Good thing this is a story....right?
:reading-6: Feliceness Means Happiness
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

As much as all pieces of evidence and surrounding premises point to Gary pleading guilty, I think he should stick with his truth. It is quite complicated but I think it is the wise thing to do.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

6eyed wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 13:46 There are two things to consider here. One is that Gary is not guilty. He was possessed by an entirely different person, so, in truth, he is not guilty. If the main thing to consider is how Michelle's family feels, we know from the green line (and I believe also the blue line?) that Michelle's family doesn't truly believe he's guilty. They still want to be close with him, despite the sorrow that losing Michelle has caused them. If Gary pleads guilty, they will never have closure. They will always believe that their wonderful daughter was killed because she trusted her boyfriend, and I think that's even worse.
I have to agree with that. That's a very valuable argument: if Gary would plead guilty, Michelle's parents would never have closure because they wanted to believe that he's not guilty after all. They've known him for years and they know Gary loved their daughter. If he'd plead guilty, he would be expected to explain why he did it. And there would be no good answer. However, I'm pretty sure that it would be very hard for anyone to believe that Gary was overtaken by another him from a different worldline. Maybe in the far future, if the multiverse theory is proved, it will be a valid argument. And it definitely would be in one or more of Gary's infinite worldlines.
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Bookowski »

Shakiera Reece wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 06:16 I don't think he should plead guilty. He doesn't remember killing Michelle. How could he give details if he didn't remember committing the crime?
It does sound simple as that, but I think it's not. Because he has seen himself on the video record, just as many other witnesses, so he saw the evidence of doing it. Of course, he couldn't give details because he wouldn't remember it. It's easy to imagine how terribly he felt. I also feel that he shouldn't plead guilty - the difficult thing about it is that in fact, he did what he did, whether he remembers it or not. The other issue is that if we stick to the multiverse theory, we need to understand that all the Garys from all the worldlines are in fact the same person, not separate individuals - they're exactly the same Gary, just living different scenarios. This causes an interesting paradox in which Gary is and isn't guilty at the same time.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”