Do you think Gary should plead guilty in court?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Ellison Kinsley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellison-kinsley.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Re: Do you think Gary should plead guilty in court?

Post by Ellison Kinsley »

I think he should plead guilty. He did commit the crime and there is evidence that proves his guilt. However, the fact that he did not intend to commit the crime (lack of mens rea) might be a mitigating factor that might help him get a light sentence.
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

I think it’s always the thoughts that count, so no I don’t think that Gary should plead guilty because he never intended to hurt anyone. Infact it will be unfair to punish him the same way you punish someone who intentionally hurt others. In a way Gary’s case is quite unique.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

Anna Bookowski wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 09:35 Do you think Gary should plead guilty or not? His father advised him to do so in order to pay respect to Michelle's parents. Mrs. Cohen advised him to plead not guilty as he did not remember his actions. Gary in prison was sure he did not commit the crime, but whether he was in control of his actions or not, he did commit the murder. What do you think?
I think the fact that he was lucid dreaming and that he doesn't remember committing the crime should exonerate him to an extent. But this book doesn't deal with our normal realities. The idea of the multiverse and different worldlines complicated matters a lot. Plus the fact that there is video evidence of someone who is definitely "a Gary" committing the crime doesn't bode well for him. Still, he doesn't remember doing it or at least, in the sense of lucid dreaming, he didn't do it in a conscious, self-aware, intentional state of mind, so if I were him I wouldn't plead guilty.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

No. Whatever he did was done in a hypnotic, unconscious state of mind and cannot be put up against him in his conscious state. The unconscious Gary was a criminal, and the conscious Gary was innocent.
Jack Watson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-watson.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jack Watson »

I do not think Gary should plead guilty. The evidence might show he committed the murder but that is a different version of him. In real life, Gary would have to prove the multiverse theory is real and that the murder was committed by a different version of the same person. It's difficult to convince a court but it's better than pleading guilty.
Ndive Mzamo
Currently Reading: The Price of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndive-mzamo.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ndive Mzamo »

I think Gary should plead guilty because he committed crime even though at that moment was not on his senses. Pleading guilty would help him realise the mistake he has done even though he loved Michelle..
Danelle Cale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danelle-cale.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Danelle Cale »

Absolutely not. He was innocent even though it was near impossible to prove. His continued determination to maintain his innocence seems to hinder his progress, emotionally and psychologically, in prison. That being said, he should not admit guilt where there is none.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

I don't think he should plead guilty. He was in no way whatsoever responsible for his actions. This isn't even a case of drug intake or too much alcohol, he was completely taken over by his ot her personality from the other wordline. So, my opinion is for him to continue fighting to prove his innocence no matter the circumstances.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I think Gary should plead guilty in court because he wasn't the one that commit the crime. Furthermore, Gary was in love with Michelle and had no intention to harm he, even though I think his plead will fail because it wasn't easy to convince the judges.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

I don't think Gary should please guilty in the court. What happened was outside of his control in another multiverse. It happened unconsciously and he did not intend to harm Michele in the first place.
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

This is a difficult question. He can’t remember killing her and never had intentions to. Yet there is an overwhelming evidence against him. He can literally see himself killing her though he doesn’t remember it happening. Perhaps he could plead guilty and drag the black line Gary to serve the sentence.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

In my opinion, I did not support him pleading guilty. However, since it will be difficult to prove his innocence, perhaps, he should plead guilty. This case is quite complicated.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”