Do you think Gary should plead guilty in court?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Re: Do you think Gary should plead guilty in court?

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

It does sound confusing, however, if Gary is the same person who did the crime, even in a different worldline and without knowing why he still apparently did it. However, I think he can not plead guilty since he did not want to do, intend to or remember doing it. There are people who commit crimes they did not actually want to do because their mind was not there at the time for some reason. So I think they normally claim insanity because everyone knows they did it but they would not have done so in their proper state of mind
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

He did not commit the murder crime and I don't think he should plead guilty. Even though there is a video proof, I am sure he has an alibi because he was asleep and proper investigation should be done.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

I agree with the others, Gary should not plead guilty. He was not aware of what he was doing and thus not in control of his actions. That guilt and pain will follow him forever which is heartbreaking in itself.
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

I think he should plead guilty, because even though we do some things subconsciously we are still liable for our actions. Gary who committed the crime is still a connection to him.
Ana C Barrantes
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-c-barrantes.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Ana C Barrantes »

This is a difficult question because while I do believe impact outweighs intention, Gary was not in control of his actions, and pleading guilty would put him in a position where he has to pay for some else's bad intentions not his own. In Gary's position, I would not plead guilty.
cluetop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cluetop.html
Latest Review: Mysteries you can't put down by Brad Bennett

Post by cluetop »

Even though it is clear the Gary has damning evidence stacked against him, I still think he shouldn’t plead guilty. I think that it could potentially cause Michelle’s family more pain to think that Gary, who they loved like a son, could turn in an instant and murder their daughter, whom they trusted was safe with Gary. Through pleading not guilty, Gary would be able to showcase his confusion and genuine love for Michelle, allowing her family to try and understand that they made no mistake in trusting her to him and are not to blame but rather victims of circumstance.
Mwas_Mwas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Mwas_Mwas »

Given the bizarre circumstances of this case, he should plead guilty as there is no way of proving his innocence at first. He should take responsibility for crimes committed by ANY of his selves if he loved Michelle as much. :D
Wesley Friday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-friday.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Wesley Friday »

Gary from the main character timeline has his thoughts being in contrast to the actions of Gary from the black line who committed the murder. As a result, with the former in the shoes of the latter, it would be quite unreasonable to expect him to plead guilty to the charge of murder. But what will be the determinant factor in this case is not how he feels but how the law sees the facts.
Gary intends to exonerate himself and so it is in his best interests to plead not guilty since doing otherwise essentially seals his fate and denies him of such opportunity.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

Since Gary who was lucid dreaming and the other Gary who committed murder are the same people, the matter of being guilty is of course debatable. However, since the lucid dreaming Gary, who loved Michelle, was not aware of his actions, he is not responsible and I think he should not plead guilty because it will possibly be more painful.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I do not think Garry should plead guilty. He was not aware of his actions and sending him to prison would be like sentencing him for a crime he did not commit. He was not in control of his mind and body when he killed Michelle and surely that should be put into consideration.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Until lucid dreaming is not accepted as a real possibility, his defense in court is going to be very difficult and, therefore, pleading not guilty will be difficult to defend. On the other hand, people also plead not guilty because they are under the influence of drugs or alchohol, so maybe Gary could use a similar argument.
Hugo_W
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyj.html
Latest Review: The Greatest Game Ever Played...Maybe by Otto L. Wheeler

Post by Hugo_W »

Even being a criminal justice student, the answer to this is still unclear for me. So in a more technical sense, you'd need mens rea, or intent, right? However, here's the part that gets interesting: It's based on mental state, aka meaning to fatally injure somebody. To me, he both did and didn't mean to do that. Gary wanted to "punish" her, and that thought process alone has a lot of weight. He fantasized about hurting her - Does anyone fantasize about something they don't like? The way he described his thought process seemed maybe even obsessive. When it comes down to it, though, it's not really stated that he wants to do any of this in real life, awake. That's the important part: He did mean to fatally injure her in a dream, he *did* fatally injure her in a dream (to his knowledge), and that's supposedly all he did or meant to do. In his mindset, this was temporary.
...In conclusion, I can't stop thinking in circles about this.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

I think Gary should plead guilty because there was evidence that he killed Mitchell. No one will believe that he is innocent when they are seeing the truth on their faces, let's say he knows the existence of other worldlines and who killed Mitchell, people will still not believe him, they will call him mad. Same if it happens in our world today people will think he is a psycho.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I don't think Gary should plead guilty. Although in the court of law, what rules are evidence. For Gary, there is a video evidence of himself killing Michelle. However, since it's a version of himself from other Worldline in quote that killed Michelle. I don't think he should, attest for what he did not do.
Elon Gathungu
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elon-gathungu.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by Elon Gathungu »

I do not think he should plead guilty. Intent is an important factor in proving someone's guilt in a murder case. The fact that Gary did not consciously commit the murder and has no recollection of the ordeal means he has a chance of fighting for himself.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”