Repetition of plot

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Wayne Njoroge
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Dark Web Murders
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-njoroge.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Re: Repetition of plot

Post by Wayne Njoroge »

I noted that some people did not appreciate the repetition. But for me I saw it as an opportunity for the author to explore his creativity. If there was no repetition then as readers we would be at a disadvantage trying to sort out the various world lines. What I wonder is how many more world lines are there?
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I think the repetition was necessary. The number of the repetitions however, could have been less. Too many repetitions became annoying at some point and needless.
But I still read through them all.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
elouie44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by elouie44 »

To be honest I didn't really notice much repetition while I was reading it. I agree with one of the comments here thought that I think it was necessary to ensure that the reader knew which worldline we were in. That was something I think was done well, the way you always knew which worldline Gary was in.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I thought the repetitions were a brilliant aspect of the book. They didn’t distract me at all. In fact, I loved seeing how we got to the same statement or scenario in different worldlines.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

britcott30 wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 16:11 I don't think it is necessary. However, this repetition can be good to those who are not familiar with this kind of theme, the multi-worlds story. This can help them to remember and easier to track down the missing dots in the plot.
The author was aiming to reiterate the similarity between the worldlines. It was necessary to also show which details were different for each of them. I think if the author didn't proceed with the repeatitions, the transitions between worldlines are going to give me a whiplash and the book would receive a lower rating from me.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Ellylion wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 13:15
Neenu B_S wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 01:14 When the author takes us to another worldline, almost the whole plot in the first worldline is repeated. Do you think that the repetition was necessary for each and every scene? Did it distracted you from the plot? Did you skip the repetitions while reading?
I didn't skip the repetitions also because they gave us a clue to the characters' motives and actions. In my opinion, they were quite important. Considering it was a multiverse, they were legit.
Right? I was tempted to skip them but I didn't want to miss a single detail. Those repetitions were a separate introduction for other worldlines, a separate introduction for the characters just like you said. We'll be able to see how different they are through that.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

scaryeyes_25 wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 10:26 When the first repetition took place I was distracted a bit. I forgot that it is a multiverse story. Then I backtracked and then I notice the colored lines at the start of the chapter. From there I already anticipated repetitions of scenarios. I actually look forward to those repetitions because I understand Gary better on that line better because of the subtle differences.
This was what I was talking about when I said that the transitions between worldlines could still use a little more work. :lol2: If you're not paying attention, you'll miss the change in worldlines and get confused. I'm not sure how, though, because I think there still needs to be a balance so it's not overdone.
Kathleen Lavador

yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

EternalD wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 11:44
Neenu B_S wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 01:14 When the author takes us to another worldline, almost the whole plot in the first worldline is repeated. Do you think that the repetition was necessary for each and every scene? Did it distracted you from the plot? Did you skip the repetitions while reading?
I had the same impression. Not only was the repetition not necessary, but it also made the book cloying and monotonous in some parts. Great thread.
Leaving tge questiin of its neccesity out. How do you expect the book to be as easily understood as it is if it werent as monotonous as it is. You have to recognise the fact this theory is broad, conplex and intertwining. Adam did not only simplify it by means of repitition, he explained it.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Wesusa wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 17:50 I really don't think it was needed. It was really weird revisiting it and ultimately not gathering much from it a second time. It really had a shock factor the first time around, the second time it just seemed tacky in a way.
The author wasn't aiming for the shock factor, though. He was aiming to reiterate the fact that there were worldlines. It was meant to introduce the other worldlines by showing how similar they were and which details made them different from the rest.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Nivedita BookBee wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 02:35 I didn't find repetition off track. It was an important element. It did get boring at times but it's fine you know since it showed how connected and similar they are and just slightly different leading to different events.
Oh yeah, it did get boring. :lol2: It was tempting to just skip them. But you're right; it shows how similar and different they are. You can't afford to miss those parts in the repetitions, or you'll risk missing the tiny good parts, if not the key points of the plot.
Kathleen Lavador

yomide

Post by yomide »

Booksmart-56 wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 03:54 I noted that some people did not appreciate the repetition. But for me I saw it as an opportunity for the author to explore his creativity. If there was no repetition then as readers we would be at a disadvantage trying to sort out the various world lines. What I wonder is how many more world lines are there?
about appriciation, not everybody sees it that way. Most readers take it as a waste of time while others consider it a nessecity. For me, i deeply agree with you. And i actually like the repitition.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
yomide

Post by yomide »

Uzo_Reviews wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 18:56 I'm sure the author's repetitions of a part of the previous worldline is to aid in a better understanding of the book by connecting them. Albeit being boring, it didn't have much of a bad effect on the story.
Exactly true. The purpose of the repititions is mainly for the connection of the worldlines. And like you specified, the only effect this has to the story is time killing and not boredom.
Satwik Mohanty
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: My Living Will
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-satwik-mohanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 6063

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

The repetition was necessary and I liked it! I think it was important to show the minor differences between worldlines. It did not distract me, and I actually enjoyed reading it again.
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

I don't think the repetitions were necessary, however, they were important for a complete comprehension of the plot. Hence I wouldn't say that it was distracting, but it is surely tiring.
Innovations are usually the result of desperate times
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I think the repetition is necessary. It is an effective way of illustrating the multiverse theory. I did not find it distracting. Instead, it made me more attentive to spot the differences in each worldline. And when I did spot a slight change, I would anticipate and wonder how it will affect the other worldlines.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”