Repetition of plot

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Troy Barnes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-troy-barnes.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: Repetition of plot

Post by Troy Barnes »

Its a crucial part of the storyline. The mistake a lot of multiverse writers make is that they lack the energy to go back and retrace the original story the multiple times necessary to really keep the readers abreast of the convoluted plot. This is the reason for the repetitions. It shows the author's dedication to the story.
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

Repetition is needed. It showed where the author fully split off the differences within the universe. This is actually the first kind of book I read about this but I real did love the repetition for once.
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

Troy Barnes wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 08:34 Its a crucial part of the storyline. The mistake a lot of multiverse writers make is that they lack the energy to go back and retrace the original story the multiple times necessary to really keep the readers abreast of the convoluted plot. This is the reason for the repetitions. It shows the author's dedication to the story.
It does that of cause, who would hi through that stress unless a dedicated writer. But I don't feel like that is all the repeatition does. Other than show dedication, it shows a well structured world for readers to get immersed in jut as it shows what a writer Adam is; to be so determined to make something as boring as repetition so engaging and portraying it in a not-so-boring way.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
dcruzsammy
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcruzsammy.html

Post by dcruzsammy »

I do think it is necessary since were talking about multiverse here. It didn't distracted me and it's something that I almost expect with the theme of the book. Can't say it's my favorite though but other than that, it made the whole thing more convincing for me.
Nada Diaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nada-diaa.html
Latest Review: Lost in the reflecting pool by Diane Pomerantz

Post by Nada Diaa »

I think the repetition of the plot is necessary for the author to send us the appropriate message about parallel universe. However i skipped the repeated paragraphs just to not waste time.
Abisolalawal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abisolalawal.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by Abisolalawal »

The repetition to me was relevant and necessary. I believe the author made it that way because of the nature of the storyline or of the book, the repetition helps in carrying me along and I sure did not miss out on any details in the book.
Troy Barnes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-troy-barnes.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Troy Barnes »

Precious Naiti wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 15:43 The repetition was unnecessary. I found it annoying at times and time wasting. I ended up being confused more than once.
The repetition was necessary to build a sort of world or structure for each of the parallel universes so that people could spot the subtle changes in experiences that the different Garys had.
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

I understand why there was repetition, since the characters in the different worlds need to be caught up to speed. However, as the reader who already knows what’s going on, I did find it kinda annoying to be explained the same thing over and over again.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I found the repetition to be tedious. Nevertheless, I thought it was necessary to read each worldline to make sure to note any alterations or changes that could be affecting the outcome of that universe.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

I didn't skip any repetition because I was always expecting something different, though it didn't happen. I don't see the repetitions as a big deal since they were essential to the plot. If you look closely, though, different Garys had almost different ways they appeared in a repetition.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

As others have also mentioned in posts above, I too, feel that the repetitions were a vital part of this story, since we are talking multiuniverses, worldliness and variant views. It was needed to further explain the author’s reasoning behind everything else in the book. I kind of just skimmed Ofer a few repetitions, but found them an important element just the same.
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html

Post by Aarti Jha »

The repetitions, i think, were necessary in order to demonstrate how two world-lines might appear different but aren't hugely separate from each other. These repetitions didn't really distract me from the actual plot but they did become mundane sometimes. No, i didn't skip them, i just read them in fast pace.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Repeating the same scenario was the requirement of the plot. Just to make the book shorter the author didn't leave the details. It shows the dedication of the author
Nancy Morara
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy-morara.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Nancy Morara »

The repetition feels like a de ja vu, and for me the experience is always thrilling. I liked it as it was because the repetition was inevitable considering the theme of the book.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

I didn't mind the repetition, I found that it was useful in establishing the scene. I do understand why someone would find it redundant though.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”