Repetition of plot

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Re: Repetition of plot

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

There was a lot of repetition in the plot which I found to be a little tedious personally. I do think it may be useful to clarify the individual worldline and prevent confusion.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I believe the repetition to be unnecessary, and I will admit that I skipped over it. It came across to me almost like... padding, honestly.
Troy Barnes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-troy-barnes.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Troy Barnes »

I appreciated the repetition of the same scenes in the new world as it helped to follow the script and be able to spot the discrepancies between the blue line world and the black line world.
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

Actually, the repeatition was neccessay. The idea of the multiverse is that everyevent in one is exactlly the same as the other, only the outcome of the event that differs. Repeating the plots, i would say, help to understand the many worlds theory even more.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Hunter Tester
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-tester.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Hunter Tester »

I thought that it actually helped, on the contrary. It shows how similar and intertwined they are. If not for the repetition it would’ve been too confusing for me actually.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I was not bothered by the repetitions because they had a clear purpose: they served to explain the theory of multiverse. Also, that was how the author showed us that some contexts stayed the same, but the protagonists made different choices. I didn't feel that any information was redundant at any point.
yomide

Post by yomide »

Wesusa wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 17:50 I really don't think it was needed. It was really weird revisiting it and ultimately not gathering much from it a second time. It really had a shock factor the first time around, the second time it just seemed tacky in a way.
About it been tacky, yes it did have that effect. But imagine the book without it, would the author be able to drive home his point? And besides, its complexity is kimd of fun.
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
fridamadrid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fridamadrid.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by fridamadrid »

I noticed this and it was one of the things I liked the least about the book. I would have preferred the author to just make a little reference to the scene, than have the whole thing repeated. I didn't skip them but I thought about doing it.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

yomide wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 14:03
Wesusa wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 17:50 I really don't think it was needed. It was really weird revisiting it and ultimately not gathering much from it a second time. It really had a shock factor the first time around, the second time it just seemed tacky in a way.
About it been tacky, yes it did have that effect. But imagine the book without it, would the author be able to drive home his point? And besides, its complexity is kimd of fun.
I'd like to argue they would've been able to drive home the point. They don't need to restate the whole thing again because it's likely the readers would not have forgotten them.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Vidhi Adhikari
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

I wasn't distracted by this. Also, while there were similarities among all Worldlines, I never felt that there was repetition in the depiction of the events. The writing flow was smooth in that sense.
yomide

Post by yomide »

Precious Naiti wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 15:43 The repetition was unnecessary. I found it annoying at times and time wasting. I ended up being confused more than once.
The confusion i can understand. Time taking? Yes. But unneccassery? I dont think so. If the author didnt make such reapetitions we wouldnt understand the difference between the worldlines.
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

I must confess I didn't re-read the paragraphs sometimes when I could see they were the exact same, but that doesn't mean it was unnecessary. Just seeing those same paragraphs added another layer/dimension to the book that otherwise wouldn't have been there.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio-inocencio.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 2%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

By being in another reality, I was expecting to the author to come with a person with a totally different life. The similarities let me a bit disappointed.
KELVIN LANGAT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-langat.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by KELVIN LANGAT »

It was a significant component. It got exhausting on occasion yet it's fine you know since it showed how associated and comparable they are and just somewhat unique prompting various occasions.
Troy Barnes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-troy-barnes.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Troy Barnes »

The repetitions are a necessary aspect of the story as they helped to differentiate between the red, blue and black line Gary so they were no mistakes in their back story.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”