Repetition of plot

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Neenu B_S
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neenu-b-s.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Repetition of plot

Post by Neenu B_S »

When the author takes us to another worldline, almost the whole plot in the first worldline is repeated. Do you think that the repetition was necessary for each and every scene? Did it distracted you from the plot? Did you skip the repetitions while reading?
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

I think it was necessary to show us that there's only a slight difference between different worldlines. I wasn't distracted by it but I know without it the book would have been much shorter. Some of them I perused through like the one for the train station, but mostly I just read through them.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Victor Kilyungi wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 04:22 I think it was necessary to show us that there's only a slight difference between different worldlines. I wasn't distracted by it but I know without it the book would have been much shorter. Some of them I perused through like the one for the train station, but mostly I just read through them.
I agree also think that the repetition of the plot is necessary. The whole multiverse idea is not an everyday idea. I think the repetition helped with understanding the book. When changes were made we could see these subtle differences.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

The repetition was unnecessary. I found it annoying at times and time wasting. I ended up being confused more than once.
jomana_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jomana-3.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by jomana_3 »

The repetition wasn't distracting to me. However, I skipped reading some paragraphs that were written exactly the same way in other chapters. In general, the repetition didn't really bother me.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

I really don't think it was needed. It was really weird revisiting it and ultimately not gathering much from it a second time. It really had a shock factor the first time around, the second time it just seemed tacky in a way.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Nivedita BookBee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivedita-bookbee.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Nivedita BookBee »

I didn't find repetition off track. It was an important element. It did get boring at times but it's fine you know since it showed how connected and similar they are and just slightly different leading to different events.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Neenu B_S wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 01:14 When the author takes us to another worldline, almost the whole plot in the first worldline is repeated. Do you think that the repetition was necessary for each and every scene? Did it distracted you from the plot? Did you skip the repetitions while reading?
I didn't skip the repetitions also because they gave us a clue to the characters' motives and actions. In my opinion, they were quite important. Considering it was a multiverse, they were legit.
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

When the first repetition took place I was distracted a bit. I forgot that it is a multiverse story. Then I backtracked and then I notice the colored lines at the start of the chapter. From there I already anticipated repetitions of scenarios. I actually look forward to those repetitions because I understand Gary better on that line better because of the subtle differences.
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by britcott30 »

I don't think it is necessary. However, this repetition can be good to those who are not familiar with this kind of theme, the multi-worlds story. This can help them to remember and easier to track down the missing dots in the plot.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

It was a bit tedious at times (I admit I've skipped some paragraphs), but it was important in order to understand how the slightest details might influence the course of events.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

I believe the repetition was needed. The difference between each line is very subtle, and with these repetitions is easier to acknowledge these differences and understand Gary's actions better.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

I can see this idea being implemented if it were to become a movie. But even then one might get bored. In the context of reading, I think, it is a matter of personal preference as it does cements the idea of the multiverse which the story is about. As for me, I would skim through it :)
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

I dont even remember if there were repetitions in the book, and I dont remember myself skipping even a single sentence. So I think this is pretty evident that the repetition was necessary to make the reader understand the idea of parallel universes.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think repetition is unnecessary because we are already familiar with the content. For the sake of the concept of the book, repetition should always be kept to a minimum. I never skip a single line in a book.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”