Repetition of plot

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Re: Repetition of plot

Post by Parahiyo »

I was okay with the descriptions. They were not distracting. They just showed that all the universes had the same things happening with a few differences.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I think it was necessary, but the execution was not the best. While I agree that repetition was useful to settle the multiverse concept, I think that there was no need to make it so long. In my opinion, simply repeating the highlights, or even just mentioning them would have been enough to make it clear it was happening again. Repeating entire scenes with minimum changes was way too much.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

I found the repetition to be unnecessary, by in another dimension I thought everything would be different. However, considering the way the story turns out, it the repetition was somehow needed.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

The repetition of plot was very necessary to aid in connecting and creating a balanced understanding of the book. The author wasn't doing too much. I totally enjoyed it though it could be tiring for some readers
Uzzy_Reviews
Muskan Upadhyaya
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-upadhyaya.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Muskan Upadhyaya »

I didn't think that the repetition was unneccessary, rather it helped me to understand the plot and timeline better and it truly didn't distract me from the base story.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Chetna_Kharbanda
Currently Reading: Unsound
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chetna-123.html
Latest Review: "Are You a N****r or a Doctor?" by Otto E. Stallworth Jr. MD MBA

Post by Chetna_Kharbanda »

Sometimes repetition is necessary especially for the readers who aren't familiar with prequels. In this case, also I feel for the readers like me who weren't aware of the prequel of Wordlines, it wasn't distracting at all. In fact, it helped me understand the characters in a better way.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

I actually didn't skip any part even if I'm somehow famillar with the scenario. Maybe that's just the author's way to make his book more interesting, because I actually enjoyed the repeatitiveness of the book
Hugo_W
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyj.html
Latest Review: The Greatest Game Ever Played...Maybe by Otto L. Wheeler

Post by Hugo_W »

I think that the repetition was both necessary and unnecessary. I think that once things had been firmly established, he could have stopped being so heavyhanded with the backstory. I think that if the author took his time, he could have figured out a smoother way of integrating those small changed details than walls of text. It did make my eyes glaze over a few times, but without the explanations, readers would be more mixed up and confused. It does seem like a difficult balance to mess with.
Elena Nechita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-nechita.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Elena Nechita »

I think the repetitions were necessary to show the small differences between the worldlines, but I have to admit they bothered me. I didn't skip them, but I read faster through them.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I think the repetition was done by the author as a precautionary measure to not get the readers confused in between all the multiverses and parallel worlds. But you are right, it was a bit unnecessary.
Virginia Mati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-virginia-mati.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Virginia Mati »

Repetition is appropriate when used to emphasize either different things or the same thing in different ways. Though it wasn't distractive, I don't think it was necessary.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

Although the repetitions didn't distract me, I really feel they are unnecessary. Repeating content in any piece makes it voluminous and difficult to read. I had to take naps whenever they become overwhelming.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

I was really distracted at first and thought that these repetitive plotlines would halt my enthusiasm for perusing the book. However, I gradually feel and acknowledge its purpose. With the repetitive plot, I was able to grasp the theory and the concept of worldline more. It was monotonous at first, but it transported me to a different time and place after reading these comprehensive chapters given the fact that the author supplied me an enough knowledge about the theories and concepts provided.
Choky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choky.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Choky »

I honestly think the repetitions were necessary. This was the only way for the reader to realize that difference between the worldlines was small.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Neenu B_S wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 01:14 When the author takes us to another worldline, almost the whole plot in the first worldline is repeated. Do you think that the repetition was necessary for each and every scene? Did it distracted you from the plot? Did you skip the repetitions while reading?
Even though sometimes the repetition is necessary for the flow of the scene however in this case I don't think he should have made that many repetitions especially when describing places in different worlds that appear to be the same, it will make the booking boring and make you want to skip those parts, it doesn't distract me it just makes me get bored of the book and maybe lead me to stop reading it even if it's a good one
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”