What if we had a way to transport our self to other worldlines!

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Ellison Kinsley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellison-kinsley.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Re: What if we had a way to transport our self to other worldlines!

Post by Ellison Kinsley »

If multiple worldlines exist, future generations might develop technology that accesses the multiple worldlines and dimensions. Given the chance, I would love to explore different worldlines. The very idea is mind-blowing. Some people might use the chance to escape their mistakes or commit crimes in other worldlines, but I think most people would use the chance positivly.
Kyle Hylan-Corcoran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyle-hylan-corcoran.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kyle Hylan-Corcoran »

If we had a barter system for worldlines, I could also imagine there being businesses established that will deal with the exchange. If worldlines were subject to business transactions, I can see there being instances of malpractice for the purpose of profit. What if you bartered for a version of yourself that was successful and sexy but instead got a version that had a severe physical disability or crippling depression because the intermediary got bribed?
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

The idea of getting transported to other worldlines sounds otherworldly but could be a reality in a dystopian future. Since I tend to daydream a lot, I would use that technology to bring to life the imaginary realities in my head. I, however, wonder what effect that would have on one's subconscious when they get back to reality.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

Surabhi Rimmi wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 03:50 The story contains the practice of lucid dreaming and suggests that our consciousness shifts to an another worldline when we sleep, and we can control our replica in that worldline by practicing lucid dreaming for a few seconds or minute. Yes, this is cool but can you imagine what it would be like if we had a choice to exchange our self with some other worldline! Bored of your life? Things not going the way you wanted? Come on, just call a dealer who will note down the kind of worldline you desire, search for it, talk to your replica about the deal and if he agrees, the dealer will exchange your worldlines. Like in a barter system, both the parties will have to agree to exchange their worldline and the dealer will act as an intermediary.
Right now we don't have a solid proof whether worldlines exist or not but if it does, don't you think this is very possible in future?
Can you think of some repercussions of this kind of system? Or do you have a better and smooth idea about the same? Furthermore, what kind of worldline would you choose to live in if this facility comes true? Do reply. :wink:
Firstly, I hope such possibilities of switch ing Worldlines never become a real thing. But then again, I'm not worried because I don't believer there are different worldlines, or a multiverse, or even in lucid dreaming.

Still, even if they were I won't trade my life for any other person's, even if that other person is me but in another reality. I was raised to take responsibility for my own life not duck out the first chance I get. So no, I won't want to exchange my life for someone else's no matter how boring or messed up my life is. And again, there's every possibility that my replica's life may have some hidden troubles that I may only get to find out after the barter is made. So thanks but no thanks.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I will prefer to stay here, unless my life is unbearably bad. The only reason is that when I would go to some other world, I would expect it to be heaven-like and much better than this one. That's okay. The only question is- What is the guarantee that this is world is not a heaven already and I have missed all it's beauty?
Virginia Mati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-virginia-mati.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Virginia Mati »

The idea of different worldlines and lucid dreams is always fascinating while reading and thinking about it. For me, if such a thing exists or would exist, I want to stay with my or in my own worldline. Even those being exchanged would have their own unique challenges and problems. It is best to handle the things I am understand well how to maneuver through. Otherwise, it would be trouble upon trouble!
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

Well, there are so many ways to change you life's situation. However, trading for another's life? It is possible, but finding a dealer for that is more difficult than finding a person who will vouch for you to join an elite secret society or meet the head of a Russian drug gang. In any case though, I wouldn't want to change my life.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

I think such a possibility might create chaos, and probably lead to higher crime rates and higher rates of unsolved crimes, because criminals would merely escape into a different world once to avoid being caught.
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

To be honest now following this conversation it seems difficult to distinguish between worldlines and dreams.

So maybe a worldline is another type of dream? Or another type of conciousness?
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Recee Ann »

If only it were real but yeah as a lucid dreamer I just gotta stick with my lucid dreaming. The worldlines talked of in the book are something else, sometimes I wish it was real and that I could exchange lives with someone else.
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

This is a fabulous idea that is enticing to consider playing. Only if the aforementioned human psyche constructs are real, I would definitely aspire to exchange worldlines as quickly as possible. Assuming, I'll have to visit and investigate the disparity of my hallmarks, I think it's an interesting idea. However, loving and simply accepting ourselves for what we are and who we truly are is based on our perceptions and has much to do with halting such fantasies from occurring in the long run. The only solution is to strive for the definitive piece of ourselves in order to obtain the wordline we have desired to live with.
Jack Watson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-watson.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jack Watson »

If multiple worldlines existed I would definitely want to switch to other worldlines. Multiworldline travel would be the most exciting adventure ever. The concept has the potential for some negative effects. For example, rampant criminal activities would be difficult to check. But I think the positive would outweigh the negative.
Choky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choky.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Choky »

The ability to shift our consciousness to another worldline sounds cool. This will give us a form of escape or a break from our own realities.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

it would be amazing if that actually existed, you would get to live many different lives and have so many experiences, for example, one where you are rich, another where you are famous, one where you are old, another where you are a baby, so many possibilities
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

Surabhi Rimmi wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 03:50 The story contains the practice of lucid dreaming and suggests that our consciousness shifts to an another worldline when we sleep, and we can control our replica in that worldline by practicing lucid dreaming for a few seconds or minute. Yes, this is cool but can you imagine what it would be like if we had a choice to exchange our self with some other worldline! Bored of your life? Things not going the way you wanted? Come on, just call a dealer who will note down the kind of worldline you desire, search for it, talk to your replica about the deal and if he agrees, the dealer will exchange your worldlines. Like in a barter system, both the parties will have to agree to exchange their worldline and the dealer will act as an intermediary.
Right now we don't have a solid proof whether worldlines exist or not but if it does, don't you think this is very possible in future?
Can you think of some repercussions of this kind of system? Or do you have a better and smooth idea about the same? Furthermore, what kind of worldline would you choose to live in if this facility comes true? Do reply. :wink:
I dont know about the future existence of worldlines but lucid dreaming very much exists.
You can call me a glass-half-empty sort of a person but I think it will create havoc as people will try anything and everything in their might to become a part of the desired worldline. It can also create depression, anxiety and other such disorders as people will be dissatisfied with their worldline as so ething better will always be out there.
To answer the last question, I would choose a worldline where I could avoid certain people.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”