Which part of the book impacted u the most?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Re: Which part of the book impacted u the most?

Post by lavkathleen »

Amy Luman wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 15:36 The most impactful part for me was Sinead’s struggle with her relationship with Gary. I, of course, have not dealt with this exact scenario, but her indecision reminded me of my own.
Hmm. That's interesting. I wasn't expecting one of the clichés in the story to be impactful to people. But I understand that seeing yourself in the characters plays a huge part in that. :D I think Sinead was nicely written for a side character, which is another unexpected thing I experienced here.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Dartemis wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 19:53 I have to say when black line Gary killed Michelle because I honestly didn’t see it coming. Plus it was the moment that really set things into motion going forward.
Someone mentioned this too— you're all making me remember how gruesome that part was. Not only the fact that he stabbed her in the neck, but also how I couldn't even imagine how angry he was that he wanted to murder her. It didn't matter that it was just a dream; in my head, it was only the very possible dire consequences that stopped him from doing it in real life.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Dartemis wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 19:53 I have to say when black line Gary killed Michelle because I honestly didn’t see it coming. Plus it was the moment that really set things into motion going forward.
Someone mentioned this too— you're all making me remember how gruesome that part was. Not only the fact that he stabbed her in the neck, but also how I couldn't even imagine how angry he was that he wanted to murder her. It didn't matter that it was just a dream; in my head, it was only the very possible dire consequences that stopped him from doing it in real life.
Kathleen Lavador

fridamadrid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fridamadrid.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by fridamadrid »

Definitely the stabbing. I just can't believe anyone would want to do that to someone even if they thought it was all a dream. Got me thinking about what anger can do to people when they don't have a positive mindset and healthy coping mechanisms.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I believe it was in the worldline where Sinead's mother in the hospital saw Gary and accused him of doing something that had happened in his dream -another worldline.
Because of her medical condition. It struck me that perhaps when we say people are delirious or having hallucinations, maybe they have access to another realm, another...worldline, that we have no access to.

Just a thought.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading: Glitter on the Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Spoken on the Wind by Faye Westlake Newman

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

The most painful would be how Gary saw himself stabbed Michelle out of the blue. It was like looking but not seeing. I just can't imagine myself in his shoes at that moment. But what really hooked me with the story is during one of Prof. Buzzard's classes. He was able to teach me the multiverse theory that I tried to recall certain events in my life and started the what-if game.
elouie44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by elouie44 »

The ending impacted me the most. I liked the idea that there more worldlines with positive, happier endings. It wasn't my favorite book though, so overall was not super impactful (just my opinion).
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I really felt for Gary in the blue line when he saw the video for the first time. His physical reaction was raw. I was also saddened when he had just found out about his father’s past, and he wouldn’t tell his sisters yet, but he couldn’t wait to tell Michelle. Oops. It just reinforced that he was not the one that killed her. It is such a lonely and awkward feeling when you are looking forward to sharing something with someone you love and then you remember they have passed away.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Rwill0988 wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 19:25 That Mary's dementia was written as possible sightlines into other word lines was very impactful. She was clearly frightened because she knew what she saw.
That was an interesting part of the story. I liked when Gary engaged Mary in conversation towards the end when she was talking about Betsy winning her case.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

ROSEYANN wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 23:53 I can identify with Sinead's character. Indecisiveness is a common trait many people share. I mean at some point in our lives we may become stuck as a result of our indecision.
Me, too! :lol2: But mostly, I just liked how she was written. I was prepared to find a female side character to just be another decoration, but thankfully, that wasn't the case. But I love how she is at every worldline.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Anelka ky wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 08:11 For me, the most impactful part of the book was not a particular scene but the book's interpretation and application of the multiverse theory. The possible existence of multiple realities that reflect every possibility is trippy. The idea of possible versions of myself, those around me, and everything around me is like an endless spiral of possibilities. It's an exciting concept to contemplate.
Oooh, interesting. Me, on the other hand, I don't like to contemplate about it. :lol2: Like you said, it's an endless spiral! It's overwhelming. Reading comments here helps, though. People have some interesting ideas on what if's. Following their conversation helps deal with the overwhelmingness.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

ROSEYANN wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 14:12 Gary's accident most impacted me. The multiverse concept was explained using various points of view of the accident. The accident was used to fledge out the various storylines. Gary's life was never quite the same after the accident.
That's supposedly the most impactful one, so that makes sense. It's the turning point of the story. Some people had a more personal choice of their impactful part, though. Mine was the part where they convicted blueline!Gary. Not really personal, just that it made me stare on my ceiling for a few minutes. :lol2:
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Uzo_Reviews wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 18:51 For me it was after the murder of Michelle. I'm sure his mind was buzzing with the different choices he wished he must have made instead of allowing his emotions get a better part of him kept hurting and taunting him. That really touched me.
Woah. I'm surprised 'cause a lot of people hated that part and hated blackline!Gary. It was a really dark part. It was gruesome and vile; it's surprising that someone still found it in them to find his emotions "touching."
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

yomide wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 20:02 Indeed, the concept was just as impactful. I mean,there are an infinite version of me in an infinite number of universes. What if Adam's suggestion is true, what then? That means no one is exactly safe in every sense of the word.

I would say that part of the book really impacted me, greatly.
True. Some would probably find it fun, though. If I'm not going to be safe, then none of them is going to be safe from me either. :lol2: Just kidding. If it was real, it would just be tiring to think of the danger. Although, it would be nice if someone thought of ways to actually make it safe.
Kathleen Lavador

ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

lavkathleen wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 10:52
ROSEYANN wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 23:53 I can identify with Sinead's character. Indecisiveness is a common trait many people share. I mean at some point in our lives we may become stuck as a result of our indecision.
Me, too! :lol2: But mostly, I just liked how she was written. I was prepared to find a female side character to just be another decoration, but thankfully, that wasn't the case. But I love how she is at every worldline.
Definitely :tiphat: !! Sinead has admirable qualities. I particularly enjoy reading about her friendship with Gary. They both had such high regard for each other. Sinead was a friend in need and a friend indeed.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”